SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
StarLady
Advanced Member
StarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really nice

1992 SC
Default Please help me choose the oil for my '92 SC

Hi, all:

My car is due for an oil change soon, and there's a couple "quick oil change" places I'm considering taking it to (please don't suggest I do my own oil change - I can't do that). One shop uses "PetroCanada" oil, and the other uses "Mobil Clean 5000" oil.
Which one would be better for my '92 Saturn SC?

I'm inclined to go with the Mobil Clean 5000, only because Mobil is a brand I'm familiar with, but I really don't know if it's okay for *my* car.

Your input will be much appreciated.
TIA.

1992 SC - TwinCam (Automagic)
Bought it brand new, and still loving it today.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to StarLady's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help StarLady reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
StarLady is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Please help me choose the oil for my '92 SC

The Mobil will be fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The Mobil will be fine.
Agreed. Just make sure the shop is reputable and doesn't like to play the classic quick-lube games...

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2

The Mobil 5000 oil is a fine product.

Best,

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts, but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. -Frank Herbert-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
azrocketman
azrocketman is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Any oil that is American Petroleum Institute rated "SL" or "SM" is adequate for your Saturn. The preferred viscosity is 5W-30 although 10W-30 will work (I'd favor the 5W-30 oil for use during the winter). You might also ask about the oil filter. Fram, while having a poor reputation on most car forums, is perfectly adequate for our Saturns. Wix, NAPA, and Purolator brand filters have a good reputation.

If you use the Mobil Clean 5000 I would still stay with 3000 mile change intervals.

By the way, since you purchased the car new, what have you been doing for all these years?

Steve

Last edited by azrocketman; 10-20-2010 at 02:56 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to azrocketman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help azrocketman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
azrocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
sam7474
sam7474 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

StarLady,

Agree with all replies. As long as you stick with 5w30 you're ok.

One thing to watch out for at these "quick oil change" places is many of them have a high employee roll-over and sometimes they're not well trained.

When they're not careful they can damage the oil pan plug threads. As a client you're allowed to ask as many questions before choosing the place...

Note: SOME of these places allow you to bring your own oil. If you've been using another brand and you feel more confident using it, ask if you can bring it. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Sam7474

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sam7474's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sam7474 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sam7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
jzdanows
jzdanows is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I have been toying with the notion of using 5w20. Engineers at my work say the closer the numbers are the more stable the oil. I have used 5w20 in everything in the recent past but haven't decided about the saturn yet. look into it, the oil is great and its a synthetic blend, not too thick and protects much better than counterparts. Just a suggestion, please make an informed decision before doing anything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jzdanows's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jzdanows reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jzdanows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #8
t&m
t&m is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

Ive seen some really nice reports from Mobil Clean its a fine product. I would use it and not give a second thought.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to t&m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help t&m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
t&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #9
StarLady
Advanced Member
StarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really nice

1992 SC

Thank you so much for all your helpful replies.

azrocketman:
I always took my car to the dealer, until about a year ago. Now I live in town that doesn't have a Saturn dealer. The last oil change I did a few months ago was at the place with the Petro Canada oil. It never occurred to me to ask about what brand/type of oil went into my car, other than making sure it was 5W30. But recently I read that different brands/types could have different effects on the engine/performance, and sometimes not in a good way.

Sam7474:
Wow! I didn't know you could do that. Something to consider. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks again, everyone!

1992 SC - TwinCam (Automagic)
Bought it brand new, and still loving it today.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to StarLady's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help StarLady reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
StarLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #10
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Castrol GTX High Mileage did my SC great all the way to 200k+ miles. IMO this is one of the best non-synthetic oils around.

I'm sure the Mobil oil would be fine also. If it's easily available to you Mobil would be the one to use.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:51 PM   #11
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

I used Valvoline 5W-30 in my 92 SC, 96 SC2 and 02 SC2.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:02 PM   #12
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Find an actual mechanic if you can. It'll cost more than the "quick-lube" places, but it'll be worth every dime. Even if the quick-lube were free, it wouldn't be worth it, given their history of screwing things up in ways that result in expensive permanent engine damage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:30 AM   #13
Equalyzer
Equalyzer is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrocketman View Post
Any oil that is American Petroleum Institute rated "SL" or "SM" is adequate for your Saturn. The preferred viscosity is 5W-30 although 10W-30 will work (I'd favor the 5W-30 oil for use during the winter). You might also ask about the oil filter. Fram, while having a poor reputation on most car forums, is perfectly adequate for our Saturns. Wix, NAPA, and Purolator brand filters have a good reputation.
In July, I tried using 10w-30 Castrol GTX High Mileage in mine. Engine performance dropped so sharply and became so sluggish, I actually changed the oil out after just 1000 miles. My father reported similar power loss when he tried high mileage oil in his Oldsmobile Intrigue. I stopped using them after that.

Castrol GTX seems to be an excellent oil that will clean out an engine nicely, but if you see Wolfman's "Final word on oil additives" thread, he recommends not using high mileage oil more than once or twice. I believe he said continual use can cause the seals to rot. Not to mention, it makes the oil thicker--not something our cars like, in my experience.

Also, I've heard that messing with viscosity can actually damage the timing chain. I can't say for sure, but I once heard that the engine oil is used to lubricate the timing chain, and incorrect viscosity can cause the computer's load sensor to throw errors and ultimately damage something over time. For what it's worth, my mother's '98 SW2 had its oil changed with erratic viscosity differences (someone apparently figured oil was oil). It experienced a mysterious engine failure at 65,000 miles...

Saturn's computers are notoriously sensitive, which is why I like to use OEM-spec products when I can. My choice is standard Pennzoil 5w-30 and a Purolator PureONE filter, but as long as your choices are from reputable companies and are to original specs, it should be fine. It is best however, to pick one oil and stick with it. Theoretically, different brands could have slightly different formulations, and as seals might settle in with one formula, changing brands repeatedly could be hard on the engine.

Just note that I'm not an expert, I just report what I hear.

- Long ago: '93 SL2, "Celeste" (currently living out retirement in a Southern California garage)
- Now: '99 SC2, "Lucy" (restoration project)

Last edited by Equalyzer; 10-21-2010 at 02:42 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Equalyzer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Equalyzer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Equalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:08 AM   #14
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

i use quaker state 5w30 in our '99 sl1, ever since purchasing the car in 2002.
change the oil & filter (wix) every 4 months.

Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 72gssaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 72gssaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #15
Threeshot223
Threeshot223 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Find an actual mechanic if you can. It'll cost more than the "quick-lube" places, but it'll be worth every dime. Even if the quick-lube were free, it wouldn't be worth it, given their history of screwing things up in ways that result in expensive permanent engine damage.
^^^^^^^^ +1

Go with a real mechanic. It may be ten bucks more but is worth it when it comes to future repairs.

Not only that, but you'll be giving your money to a small local business instead of a giant corporation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Threeshot223's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Threeshot223 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Threeshot223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #16
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

I'm happy to see you can get Petro Canada lubricants where you are located. They are some of the best in the business.

Do not hesitate to put PC oil in your car. It is an amazingly good product.

That being said, really any oil that meets the car's spec (think any oil within recommended grade) will suffice.

Key is as always, making sure the car is not low on oil/going too far past normal oil change schedules.

If it were me, I would go with the Petro Canada oil.

1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:59 AM   #17
azrocketman

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equalyzer View Post

... I believe he said continual use can cause the seals to rot. Not to mention, it makes the oil thicker--not something our cars like, in my experience.

Also, I've heard that messing with viscosity can actually damage the timing chain. I can't say for sure, but I once heard that the engine oil is used to lubricate the timing chain, and incorrect viscosity can cause the computer's load sensor to throw errors and ultimately damage something over time. For what it's worth, my mother's '98 SW2 had its oil changed with erratic viscosity differences (someone apparently figured oil was oil). It experienced a mysterious engine failure at 65,000 miles...

Just note that I'm not an expert, I just report what I hear.
What you are hearing is nonsense not supported by mechanical sense.

Steve

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help azrocketman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #18
jfcadena
jfcadena is on a distinguished road

1997 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzdanows View Post
I have been toying with the notion of using 5w20...
usually the manufacturer will put out a bulletin, I know this because I checked the oil filter book at walmart; my 97 mustang's oil cap said 5-30w, but the book said 5-20w, so I checked and sure enough ford had an update stating that they now recommend the 5-20w for the 97 per better gas mileage. I would use what the manufacture recommends.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jfcadena's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jfcadena reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jfcadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:21 AM   #19
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrocketman View Post
What you are hearing is nonsense not supported by mechanical sense.
This part is true, though
Quote:
I once heard that the engine oil is used to lubricate the timing chain

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:50 PM   #20
azrocketman

1997 SL1
Happy Re: Please help me choose the oil for my '92 SC

alordofchaos,

You know, by taking statements out of context, you can have a great future in politics.

Steve

REWARD EXCELLENCE!