SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
SonOfSaturn
SonOfSaturn is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
2001 SL1
Default Clutch replacement gone wrong

Last weekend I began the job of replacing the clutch on my 95 SL1 170k miles. Felt a little slipping for the past few months and I need to take the car on a long drive. Trying to prevent a bad road trip. All went well thanks to the many posts and how to's on the site (a really big thanks to all the members of this great community.)

All but one thing... when I try to shift into 1st, 2nd, 5th or reverse I get a tremendous amount of resistance. 3rd and 4th gears are smooth as butter. Getting into the fifth and reverse gate also requires a little shoving. I can shove it into 1, 2 and reverse with a decent amount of force. 5th will not engage AT ALL, it will either spit it out or just grind.

I took of the shifter tower out when I replaced the clutch but was quite careful with how everything came out and went in. Covered up the hole at the top of the trans with a rag and taped it in place to ensure nothing fell in.

Cables are in good condition and in their proper positions.

Trans fluid is level.

Did not have an issue with shifting previous to the repair.

PLEASE HELP. I need to leave in less than 2 weeks and this car is my main form of transportation.

What am I missing? What can I look for?

Did i mess something up in the shift tower? That's what it feels like to me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SonOfSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SonOfSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SonOfSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2
Default Re: Clutch replacement gone wrong

Sounds like the left-right cable (the one that DOESN'T usually fail) is acting up. Check where that cable runs under the hood. Make sure the HOUSING (the part of the cable that DOESN'T move) is held tight to its mooring on the tranny case, and that the big horseshoe clip is properly in place.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
SonOfSaturn

1995 SL1
2001 SL1

Thanks for the quick response!

I will check the cable to make sure it's in place. I know for a fact the horseshoe clip is sitting properly as I checked it shortly after noticing the issue.

I doubt this is the problem being that I feel the same resistance when I unhook the shifter cables from the tower and manually push the rods to the gates. I feel a slight hesitation when doing this.

Also, I need to mention that when it does go to the 5th and reverse gate I need to pull it back (with quite a bit of force)to the nuetral central position.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SonOfSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2010, 10:40 AM   #4
johnny95sl2
Advanced Member
johnny95sl2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1995 SC2

Is it only hard to shift when running?? Mine shifted fine while off. What brand of clutch did you install? I put in the perfection from advanced auto and had the same problem. The issue is with the pressure plate not totally disengaging. I am not the only one to have had this problem. Replaced it with a luk and no problems now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to johnny95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help johnny95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
johnny95sl2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
SonOfSaturn

1995 SL1
2001 SL1

I checked the cables and all was attached properly.

It doesn't matter if the car is on or off. I get the the same resistance going into the gears.

I want to make sure that people understand that the car is driving. Clutch seems to be engaging and disengaging properly. Its just a pain to get going from a stop because of the shifter resistance. Besides that all seems well. Clutch is grabbing tight.

I do feel the pressure on the clutch pedal to be a little less than on my previous clutch. I contribute this to different manufacturers.

I used a Valeo clutch kit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-19-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

When you move the shifter across the H-pattern, in neutral, does it feel any different from before? Does it seem to travel the same distance? Is the resistance moving left and right about the same?

The fact that 3-4 are okay, and it 1-2 and 5-R, makes me think that it's the two "outside legs" of the shift pattern that are troublesome, and therefore it's related to either the left-right movement of the shifter/cable, or the "gates" in the shift tower on the tranny.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
SonOfSaturn

1995 SL1
2001 SL1

The feeling across the H is normal an free. The only resistance I get is when I push up or down on the shifter to get it into gear.

I removed the shift tower again to see if I placed everything back together properly and to see if I can put the tranny in to gear with a screwdriver. I heard I should be able to select every gear with a good amount of ease.

I could only get gears 3 and 4 into position. 1,2 and 5 are impossible to move. Iwas able to forcefully put it into reverse.

It's a tranny issue. Either something fell in ( i doubt that) or something came loose inside while moving around. Above my knowledge and now in the hands of a mechanic.

Try to save some money... and end u with a bad trans...ehh

REWARD EXCELLENCE!