SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2016, 04:01 AM   #1
brother rat
brother rat is on a distinguished road

Default just a new guy checking in

Hi there. I've had my VUE for about a year and a half now and I'm finally getting around to joining. I had two Jeep XJ's before and when the last one got stolen I bought the VUE. It's a 2002 3.0 auto awd ~130k mi. It's in really good condition. I'll see about getting a picture up. I like it and it's good for the family. It's just so...polite. Sometimes I feel like I'm driving around in an apology. So eventually I'm going to be looking into some things to toughen it up a bit.
It did start doing some goofy shifting recently. On even mild acceleration it hangs way up into pretty high rpm before shifting. And when downshifting, sometimes it will kick down two gears instead of one. I'll probably start with a fluid change and go from there.
I do get a lot of Check Engine lights. My scanner was in the Jeep when it was stolen. I have heard of modules that plug into the OBD II port and connect to a smartphone via bluetooth. Any recommendations?
I also plan to fab up some locking covers for the spaces in the trunk floor (designed for milk gallons) and the space under the rear seat to make those compartments a little more functional for me. But we'll see when I have the time!
I've been reading over the threads here for about a year now. Looks like a lot of good info. Thanks everyone!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brother rat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brother rat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brother rat is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2016, 04:55 AM   #2
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: just a new guy checking in

Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brother rat View Post
It's a 2002 3.0 auto awd ~130k mi.
You know for sure the Timing Belt, Water Pump and Plugs were replaced at 100k mi.?

Quote:
I have heard of modules that plug into the OBD II port and connect to a smartphone via bluetooth. Any recommendations?
I use this tool and these apps . . .
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NLQAHS/...528360_TE_dp_1
http://www.bafxpro.com/bafx-products...-android-only/

OBD Fusion App
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ouchScan&hl=en

Torque Pro App
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.torque&hl=en

These are for Android. I have a stupid iphone, so I purchased an Android tablet to use with this tool.

Not to rain on your parade, but I was pretty happy with my '03 until the ECM and BCM died. Good luck with your '02.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:40 PM   #3
brother rat
brother rat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
Welcome aboard!

You know for sure the Timing Belt, Water Pump and Plugs were replaced at 100k mi.?
No, I've been living dangerously. I plan to get it in to the mechanic and see if they can tell by looking at the timing belt if it's been changed.

Quote:
I use this tool and these apps . . .

OBD Fusion App

Torque Pro App

These are for Android. I have a stupid iphone, so I purchased an Android tablet to use with this tool.

Thanks for the recommendations. Certainly there has to be something available for iphone though, right?

Quote:
Not to rain on your parade, but I was pretty happy with my '03 until the ECM and BCM died. Good luck with your '02.
Can you expound on that? Are the ECM and BCM prone to failure? And when/if they do, can they not be replaced? Could those modules be the culprits of goofy shifting? Or of my frequent CEL?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brother rat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brother rat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brother rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:33 PM   #4
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Certainly there has to be something available for iphone though, right?
I've found this one - seems to have decent reviews . . .
https://www.amazon.com/Xseries-Auto-...dp/B00HVV60HI/

I'm not sure what iOS apps are available to go with this.

Quote:
Can you expound on that? Are the ECM and BCM prone to failure? And when/if they do, can they not be replaced? Could those modules be the culprits of goofy shifting? Or of my frequent CEL?
The electronic modules in the '02-03 models are notoriously bad. With my ECM, I was getting all the Camshaft Position Codes. Then I was getting random misfires. Then my VUE started stalling on the highway. When it wouldn't hardly run at all, I got a used ECM. That fixed everything - car ran great for a few weeks - until it stalled on the highway and will no longer even start. I'm assuming this replacement ECM has also gone south.

My BCM started loosing functions little by little; DRLs flashing while the car was parked. Rear Wiper stopped working. Door Locks locking and unlocking randomly. I got a used BCM which corrected all those issues, except now I have an Air Bag light. I'm thinking this is because the BCM needs programming. From what I understand, the "primary key" is a setup needed so the SDM can get the vehicle configuration from the BCM. I'm having trouble getting this done - requires a GM Tech-II scan tool. The dealers want to sell you a new and improved BCM, which, from what I hear, costs about $1,000.

Shifting issues can be caused by yet another module - the TCM.
I just want a car - not a gd computer on wheels!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2016, 10:18 AM   #5
tacman7
tacman7 is on a distinguished road

I have a 2003 Vue with the VTI transmission 2WD.

Not sure if that's what you have with AWD.

Does your tranny shift, so it's got 4 or 5 gears it goes into or is it constantly variable. So if you give it gas it just keeps getting faster without any noticeable shift changes?

There's a lot on the board about VTI transmissions. If that's what you have I would get the new type of fluid they sell and replace the fluid. Not sure about a service, if there's anything they can do.

When they go out I've heard that they can't get out of low gear.

Replacing it costs more than the car is worth I'm afraid, so good to keep it working.

I drive like an old man, wait a minute! I am an old man.

My wife was in several accidents and so when I drive her I have to REALLY take it easy and be VERY safe. I got liking driving a lot safer, now that's the way I drive. So many situations are a lot safer when you don't show up going 70mph!

That's also how I'm going to make that transmission last forever.

2003 Vue 4banger with dreaded transmission, Not going anymore.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tacman7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tacman7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tacman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:44 PM   #6
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacman7 View Post
I have a 2003 Vue with the VTI transmission 2WD.
Not sure if that's what you have with AWD.
In Post #1 he says it's a "3.0 auto awd". That's the L81 V6 with the Aisin 5 spd.

Good luck with your VTi.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!