SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
bad280z
bad280z is on a distinguished road

Default 2006 Ion random no start

I've read a lot about the passlock stuff and other things associated with it and I don't think that is my problem but I could be entirely wrong.

This is on my sister's car so much of my information is second hand and as a result limited.

The car will randomly have a no start condition where when turning the key to start, no dash lights come on, no sounds, no cranking occurs. The only electrical thing that will turn on is the headlights.

Through a combination of trial and error and dumb luck, we found that if we remove and simply replace the relay numbered 29 under the hood for the Powertrain the car will start every time afterwards. When I say replace I mean we are using the same relay and unplugging it and plugging it back in.

Prior to this, I tried just disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it, and the car had the same symptoms as before disconnecting.

This condition has only occurred ~10 times in the past year in all types of weather.

Any suggestions are much appreciated

Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bad280z's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bad280z reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bad280z is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2010, 12:29 AM   #2
bern
Advanced Member
bern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nice

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: 2006 Ion random no start

sounds like one a loose connection to or inside the underhood fuse box. if you have an extra relay you can test the female terminal tightness inside the box. With the old or not needed relay brake off all except one terminal. Now you can test the tightness of all the ternimals that size in the box. If you find a lose female terminal, you can put a small bent in the male terminal for a tighter fit. It is also possible that the terminals in the connectors that are bolted to the bottom of the box can be loose. good luck, let us know if you find anything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bern is offline   Reply With Quote