SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2010, 02:54 AM   #1
Cartell
Cartell is on a distinguished road

Default Speedometer and odometer stopped at same time

Hello, again.
Driving lovely 1991 SL2, 46 thou. Both speedometer and odometer completely stopped today - everything else seems to be fine. I think I heard a noise beforehand - perhaps a pop. There is no check engine light on.

I had my whole PCM (computer brain) replaced 3 months ago to the tune of $600. I know people here said not to do it. The car was dead at the shop and I had to get it back driveworthy.

Could this be related to that? I have been reading here and elsewhere that it could be just a speed sensor (rss) or a whole cluster which is very expensive. Do I need an electric shop to look at it, or do any garages specialize in speedometers?

Thanks very much for everyone's help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cartell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cartell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cartell is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2010, 07:04 AM   #2
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2
Default Re: Speedometer and odometer stopped at same time

I would guess the VSS as well, or more likely the connection to it.

It's on the back of the trans. It's the only plug other than the reverse switch if its a manual trans.

1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Poor man's VSS test: Sit in the driveway and rev up the engine. It should refuse to rev past about 4000-4500 RPM (it'll "bounce" around that RPM). That's the "no moving" rev limiter. Now take it down the street, find a safe place to coast, get it up to 20-25 MPH, put in the clutch (or shift to neutral if an auto), and rev it up again while coasting. This time, it _should_ rev past that limit, up toward 6500-ish RPM. If it does, the VSS is okay, and so is the PCM, and the problem is somewhere between the PCM and the cluster, or the cluster itself. If it doesn't, the problem is upstream of the PCM, between the VSS and the PCM, or the VSS itself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
Cartell

Thanks very much guys. I will get someone to do the revving.
Is there a diagram or picture anywhere of how this wiring works, or physical layout? That would help me understand it.

I have an automatic, though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Cartell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
Cartell

Is there anyplace I can find a diagram or schematic of the engine parts to see where the electrical wiring goes? Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
Cartell

I never found a schematic, but I found pictures of other cars on Google.

The cruise control works. Is there any way to check to see if the PCM is the problem, or the cluster? Is there a way to check the PCM? That is what I suspect, since I just had a new one put in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-07-2010, 09:13 PM   #7
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

If the cruise works, the VSS is sending a good signal to the PCM, and the PCM is receiving it properly. Most likely suspect is the gauge cluster itself, unless it's the wire from the PCM to the cluster. According to the "typical" wiring diagram in the Haynes manual, for some gen-1 year (so it _may_ apply to '91), the wire is dark green / white, pin A on the cluster connector and pin A2 on the PCM connector.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:07 AM   #8
Dr. Sprock
Dr. Sprock will become famous soon enough

that molded plastic dash cover pops right out,

there are two screws underneath two postage stamp size trap doors which you can plainly see at the far left and far right and in the back middle of the dash cover.

remove the trap doors and screws,

then lift up and pull forward, there are three clips under the window that grip the plastic, the plastic might break if you park in the sun a lot.

then there is a heavy fiber pad underneath, remove that,

now you can pull off the connector and push it back onto the cluster,

the harness to cluster connection is very primitive but effective,

however, with time, the copper traces can tarnish,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr. Sprock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr. Sprock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dr. Sprock is offline   Reply With Quote