SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2010, 08:13 AM   #1
jessesmith121
jessesmith121 is on a distinguished road

Default Multiple Trouble codes on 01 L-300

Hey long time reader first time poster. My wife loves her l-300. We have had it for 6 years and put 100,000 miles on it. Last week it threw 4 codes and runs like hot garbage. it has 140,000 currently. It needs to make it to over 200,000. The 4 codes are P0300 P0050 P0154 P0174. I dont know if a combo of these codes mean anything. Any help would be great.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jessesmith121's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jessesmith121 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jessesmith121 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Multiple Trouble codes on 01 L-300

DTC P0050 HO2S Heater Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 1

DTC P0154 HO2S Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 2 Sensor 1

DTC P0174 Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2

DTC P0300 Engine Misfire Detected

All four seem related, especially the first three. Anyone work on the front side of the engine? The side closest to the radiator? I think this is bank 2 while the rear (firewall side) is bank one.

If the ignition coil pack failed or is loosely connected, this may cause misfiring (P0300) and the cascading error effect to generate codes. Unfortunately, the two coil packs aren't interchangeable. A resistance test to compare the good one against the suspect one may help isolate a possible coil pack problem. Without the FSM in front of me I don't know if each coil pack has its own fuse so check all the fuses, under the hood as well as the driver and passenger kick panels.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
jessesmith121

I replaced the maf about 3 months ago.. The plugs at 100,000... I still cant believe they were 26 a pop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jessesmith121 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-27-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Check the flex coupler joining the rear main intake manifold to the front runners. A vacuum leak here would lean out mixtures on the front bank of cylinders, 2,4,6.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
eowynn
eowynn is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1995 SL2

ahh sounds like deja vu, my wife also loves her L300 with 140,000, that i really needed to last to 200,000

its currently parked in the drive way with an unknown loud screeching noise coming from the engine(possible bearing or cam issue, hopefully to be resolved sooner than later)

i know the coil packs run about 100.00, so i understand that's an issue, but for what its worth i would be leaning towards a defective coil pack cylinder 2,4,6 as f dryer mentioned.

good luck!

95 sl2 150,000
02 L300 140,000
02 Vue 99,000

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eowynn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eowynn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eowynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:21 AM   #6
jessesmith121

I have always gotten a misfire trouble code when on long trips. I thought it was from the ethanol in Iowa. Maybe that coil pack has been getting weaker? I wonder if anyone has one used.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-29-2010, 08:23 AM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Tried junk yards? Theoretically, ethanol blends should make engines run somewhat smoother because of the higher octane inherent in alcohol. Its also known that there will be reduced mileage from ethanol blends. Anything over 10-15% will be seen as reduced mileage. Using greater percentages of ethanol may harm engines not designed and configured for high ethanol content fuel as fuel systems are customized for corrosive alcohol. The fuel mixtures are also altered and the engine computer not configured for high ethanol blends will not produce the greater power alcohol can give. Mechanically, compression isn't high enough to take advantage of inherently high octane alcohol so overall an engine not suitable for ethanol just loses all around. The truth is that 10-15% ethanol in gasoline reduces engine power, period. Gasoline engines are tuned to run the ideal 14.7:1 air/fuel ratio while pure ethanol runs around 6:1 a/f ratios, maybe 9:1 but definitely more ethanol is injected per cycle than gasoline. Since gasoline engines can use up to 15% ethanol without altering anything, power is reduced but not noticeable. Only mileage will be noticed. Using higher percentages of ethanol may be harmful to engines not specifically set up for long term use as it is not easy to re-configure engines for high ethanol use. Mechanical as well as engine computer configurations need to be done in order to take advantage of high content ethanol. It can be done but then it cannot be undone if ethanol isn't available and gasoline is used. There would be major engine problems as an alcohol configured engine inadvertently uses gasoline; too rich a fuel mixture will cause various engine problems that cannot be cured immediately except to ensure that only high content ethanol is used. An engine dedicated to alcohol is the same as an engine dedicated to gasoline. Each engine is configured to run only on the fuel its configured for. A good example are the F1 race cars using straight alcohol. They can never run gasoline otherwise instant destruction of a finely machined expensive engine specifically configured to run alcohol fuel. One engine runs only on gasoline, the other engine runs only on alcohol. Pure alcohol fueled engines are used in cars but in small numbers in South America where alcohol is the only fuel so engines are configured to run it. Pour gasoline into one tank and this car will have major engine running issues.

It would be wise not to use ethanol blends higher than 15% despite what some may say locally as they're not interested in your long term longevity of your engine designed to run on gasoline, not alcohol. The 15% is the maximum cut off and using higher blends will cause engine problems sooner or later. NYS mandates 10% ethanol and not noticeable to many drivers. I'll bet my maximum mileage would improve a few miles per gallon if I were able to use 100% gasoline.

Beware that continued misfiring can shorten the life of the catalytic converter since misfiring implies unburned fuel going to the converter that's supposed to work on combusted exhaust only. Excess fuel not burned in the engine goes to the catcon for burning that raises temperatures above normal. Exceed this temperature for long periods and degradation begins resulting in slow death as the catcon cooks itself prematurely to an early demise. Either have the engine connected to a scantool from a shop or dealer to diagnose the misfiring to repair this soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-29-2010, 12:25 PM   #8
jessesmith121

I found an 01 catera in a local junk yard. I was not saying the eathanol caused the misfire. I am saying the coil would explain this nisfire state. For the last few years I misfire code would come up from time to time. My car has been running very rough at idle and has reduced power at times. I would take it to saturn but we dont have one anymore. And it seems like no one wants to work on this car with out big $. It is like owning a fiero again. what side is 2,4,6 on the catera does anyone know?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

What's causing the misfire may be the ignition coil pack failing intermittently.

If the catera engine is sideways like our L300 engines, cylinders 1,3,5 should face the firewall, 2,4,6 face the radiator.

Last edited by fdryer; 08-29-2010 at 12:44 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #10
jessesmith121

its rwd... I would assume the driver side would be 2,4,6... are the o2 sensors the same? i would try to replace sensor 1 in bank 2 at the same time. its a low mile motor so I would like to try both the "new" coil pack and o2 sensor at the same time...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-29-2010, 05:28 PM   #11
eowynn
eowynn is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1995 SL2

I know on our l300 the firing order is stamped on the front valve cover near the timing side of the engine,maybe the catera engine is the same way

95 sl2 150,000
02 L300 140,000
02 Vue 99,000

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eowynn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eowynn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eowynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:07 PM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Has the L300 had its timing belt replaced yet?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-29-2010, 07:23 PM   #13
jessesmith121

Nope... 140,000 on orig timing belt. I know it needs changed. I just cant afford for the shop to do it. I have the parts but could not afford the tool. Now I know you can do it with out the tool im going to go for it here in the next month or so. Am I living on borrowed time?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-29-2010, 07:35 PM   #14
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Its your car. Recommended change is at 100k miles. Belt, water pump and spark plugs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #15
jessesmith121

I did change the plugs at 100k. Now I know I can do it with out the tool I am going to do it as soon as I can. At how many miles has anyone seen one fail? Has anyone seen one fail?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #16
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Check recent threads.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #17
jessesmith121

Timing belt changed...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!