SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2014, 06:27 PM   #41
Jonnyferrari
Jonnyferrari is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 L300 Heater Core/Hose Leak

Looks like following a GM dealer-induced oil leak, I now have a coolant leak at the firewall at the right Quick Release.

One method I found to fix this was replacing the entire line, with a standard hose and screw-down clamps.

Would the cheaper option be to replace the line with 14" of 1/4 inner-diameter line (slide onto both male fittings at engine/firewall) and plug the holes to avoid loosing all of my coolant, then clamp down and top-off..

OR

Find a quick-connect part replacement, and slide on the new part to both male fittings? Would this part simply get slid on to the two male fittings; one at engine one at firewall?

I like using OEM parts, but it sounds like it could just fail again, and be just as difficult to put on. Additionally, I know the part number for the 4-cylinder engine/LS1/LS is 9128706 but it is not the same on the V6/LS2/L300.

Finally, even if someone can help me find this part, I should be able to refill the system with fresh Dexcool in the overflow tank and call it a day after securing the new hose, correct?

I currently have no leaks inside at the heater core.

For reference, this is my current guide; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8igRkr_4tpM

[Sold] 2000 Saturn LS2 premium package; 120k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonnyferrari's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonnyferrari reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonnyferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2014, 06:57 PM   #42
Jonnyferrari

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Lol, looks like there is a shotty boot-leg method which can be performed as well; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFhhTIRARdw&t=8m10s

Is there a recommendation against using this above advertised method?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jonnyferrari reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2014, 09:10 PM   #43
hacadacalopolis
hacadacalopolis is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1996 SC1

I got rid of mine along time ago before I downed my vehicle.

This goofball seems to record while not really sticking to a plan.

Back when I got rid of quick release I grabbed 3/4 bulk hose and looped over each other and worked plenty fine w/o cutting the heater core back to the bead.

If you try to cut the aluminum tubing for the core while in vehicle, it can be quite diffucult.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hacadacalopolis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hacadacalopolis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hacadacalopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:13 PM   #44
hacadacalopolis

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1996 SC1

Forgot you have 3.0l

We have a crossover tube to our temp sensor and thermostat housing to where it junctions off into the heater.

If it is similar to the ecotec give it a try if u wanna do a cheap fix

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hacadacalopolis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #45
Jonnyferrari

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I have only found a leak at the firewall in the engine compartment, where firewall has 2 connections to the engine. I am pretty sure it is the outflow line, as it is the one on the right. Regardless, I don't need to mess with any aluminum tubing besides the heat shield sheath over the line.

My plan has become exactly what the youtube video I posted represents; cutting the hose with a saw at the quick release, stopping the flow of coolant from the heater core until I get a worm clamp over it and then shoving it onto the male end coming from the firewall, tightening it down. Should make the repair cost $1.00 plus a few quarts of coolant to bring what ever I've lost back up. Hopefully the flare at the end of the hose where it is in the quick release doesn't get short immediately after where I cut it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-28-2014, 01:17 AM   #46
Jonnyferrari

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

It was difficult for me to find the exact part #, but if you decide to replace the entire hose, the part number is ACDelco 22703745 and it is the "inlet heater hose." $12-15 shipped on ebay and amazon, but I'll do the saw - clamp method and report back. This part does include a new quick connect, but the other end of the quick connect remains on the firewall and I believe is the real source of the leak in most cases.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #47
Jonnyferrari

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

So I brought out my kitchen knife, socket wrench and bought a $2 hose clamp at the local parts store. 15 minutes later, the hose is back on the fitting at the firewall, without the quick-connector, no leaks.

After high-idling the car and topping off the fluid, the overflow cap went back on and a 10-mile cruise along scenic LakeShore drive proved no leaks.

Tips so you can spend $2 instead of $250 at the dealer: Don't try to twist/pull off the quick connector after sawing off the coolant hose. After separating the junction of the quick connect, break all of the plastic tabs that hold it to the male heater core fitting at the firewall. Once these tabs are broken off, you should be able to easily slide the entire, *****ty quick connect fitting off, and then slide the remaining (end) length of coolant hose onto the metal tube. You must cut the hose right where the quick connect fitting begins, so the flanged part of the hose (3/4 inner diameter) lets you slide it on. Make sure the hose clamp is tight, and after the engine heats up to operating temperature, tighten the clamp down again; you'll be able to as the hose end is now soft and malleable, giving you less resistance to tighten the clamp.

As for the amount of coolant this required; about 1/2 a gallon (2 quarts), I was sure to stop coolant from leaking from the engine once I cut the hose, but the heater core emptied out. Also, just for reference, 7 years and 35,000 miles since my last coolant flush, it was as clear and clean as the new high-mile Dexcool I put in.

Time for a celebratory road trip

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-30-2014, 01:49 AM   #48
hacadacalopolis

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1996 SC1

Good deal Johnny

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #49
hacadacalopolis

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1996 SC1

Johnny This the new development I have to go with for me.

I used PEX 90's 1" for 3/4 ID, it is very snug tight fit.

The old setup I has was too close to new addition of turbocharger.

I think dex cool blows btw, I switched to the prestone yellow jug in 2010.
Now with with more brass in system I am going to try Zerex G 05.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-15-2015, 07:10 PM   #50
don2737
don2737 has a spectacular aura aboutdon2737 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I see I can edit this post I made in error, but I don't see a way to remove it altogether. Sorry.

Last edited by don2737; 02-15-2015 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: wrong thread, sorry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to don2737's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help don2737 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
don2737 is offline   Reply With Quote