SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #21
Becky
Becky is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2001 L300 Heater Core/Hose Leak

I bought new O-rings to fit the heater core. Now, it's not getting hot. The bottom line was hot, but the top line is cold (this is on the heater core). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the trouble could be and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Becky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Becky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #22
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Is the coolant level where it should be? Once topped and level, the cooling system purges itself as the engine runs whether the cap is off with the engine idling or while driving. This should purge any air in the heater core. If not then the heater core may be clogged.

Was this cooling system ever flushed, drained, and refilled? If not, do it and disconnect the heater hoses to flush the heater core manually, reverse flushing it to ensure crud hasn't built up over the years to block coolant flow. A normal flush of the cooling system when replacing coolant usually works and is the best time to check on heater operation to kill two birds with one flush while running plain water through the system. Keeping coolant longer than recommended tends to allow precipitation to form crud - a perfect way to block the heater core. Replacing coolant at recommended intervals ensures clean fluids flow unimpeded, pump lubrication, anti-freeze protection, and plenty of heat in winter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #23
ucwarrior1
ucwarrior1 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2001 L300 Heater Core/Hose Leaki

I know this is an older post but I'm having issues taking the disconnect clamp off...I've only seen two photos and I'm not seeing any sort of piece to push down on or pull up for a release...in the correct position (6o'clock) there does seem to be a slot where perhaps the connect used to be but I've turned it completely around to see it better ani cannot remove it. Any suggesttions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ucwarrior1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ucwarrior1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ucwarrior1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #24
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Are you describing the exterior heater hoses in the engine area or inside the car?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #25
Patalufagus
Patalufagus is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I've got a leak in the exact same spot. 2001 lw 200 The Rt. Side Green one has a slow drip- half the expansion tank in 2 weeks. From what I'm hearing the fix is Either/ Or- a new hose and clamp the heck out of it or a #15 o ring if I can get it back in the quick connection? Took a lot of digging to get lots of answers in the forum since the HC has confused people on which hoses are where. Here's my leak. It gets angry if I poke it to much!

If I dont fix it right the first time, wife will kill me and we'll be down to one car!
thanks- Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heater hose Quick Conet.jpg (17.0 KB, 71 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Patalufagus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Patalufagus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Patalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #26
MGeorge
MGeorge is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I'd try the O-ring fix first before anything - the L-series are very prone to this issue. Mine did that for awhile and like an idiot I spent at least $10 on coolant over the course of a few months and some rather gunked up towels soaking it up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MGeorge's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MGeorge reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #27
NarcGN
NarcGN is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

i had a leak at the quick clamp at the heater core, was a pretty easy fix. used a new O ring .68 cents from local hardware store.. so far so good.. thanks to all previous posts this really helped out a lot.

2011 Ford F150 EcoBoost

1987 Buick Grand National, 10 second street car with ice cold AC

2002 Saturn L200, 115,000 miles still runs strong... the gas saver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NarcGN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NarcGN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NarcGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:59 PM   #28
czechyour6
czechyour6 has a spectacular aura aboutczechyour6 has a spectacular aura about

Just finished the leaky heater core drama, measured the RED 0-rings that came with the cheaper aftermarket core, looks like it is metric and should fit tighter than the home depot ones, its 24mm OD x 18mm ID x 3mm CS The ID is going to be just over 1mm (.042) tighter on this metric one than the 1" OD x .750 ID x .125 Depot special. Just found pack of Red ones ( think they are silicone for hotter temps) on Amazon for 3.50 SHIPPED for 10 pack now getting good clamps is another story

My firewall connections were not leaking so not sure if these are the same size as the heater core side ones? Hope we have someone that will need to change them and confirm

01 L300

Last edited by czechyour6; 02-20-2014 at 09:11 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to czechyour6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help czechyour6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
czechyour6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #29
czechyour6
czechyour6 has a spectacular aura aboutczechyour6 has a spectacular aura about

10 Pcs Red Silicone O Ring Oil Seals Gaskets Washers 24mm x 3mm
by Amico is what I found on the ole Amizon , not many other matches other than some from china on ebay

01 L300

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to czechyour6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help czechyour6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
czechyour6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:46 AM   #30
don2737
don2737 has a spectacular aura aboutdon2737 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I made a web page with clear pictures changing the heater core O rings on my 2002 Saturn L200. It's not hard, just messy. If your passenger side carpet is wet with antifreeze, it is probably just the inexpensive O rings.

This forum won't let me post a direct link until I have 15 posts, maybe someone else can do it. Meanwhile, change the "dot" for a "."

tinyurl"dot"com/m6bzwre

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to don2737's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help don2737 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
don2737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:49 AM   #31
don2737

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Ok, my apologies, but if I make 5 more posts then it appears I can then post links, photos, etc. Then I can help you fix your heater more easily, so bare with me a second.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help don2737 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2014, 05:50 AM   #32
don2737

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

almost there

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2014, 05:51 AM   #33
don2737

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

this is 13 out of needed 15

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2014, 05:53 AM   #34
don2737

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

14 / 15

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2014, 05:54 AM   #35
don2737

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

sorry about that

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2014, 06:00 AM   #36
don2737

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

There, now I can show you the rather easy heater core fix for my 2002 Saturn L200, with pictures:
http://www.dwdav.com/saturnheater/L200heater.html

I used regular O rings I found at Lowe's:

Be ready to catch the mess, even after draining the radiator.

Just lift the sides of the clip with your fingernails, try not to break it:

More instructions and pictures at the link :
http://www.dwdav.com/saturnheater/L200heater.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2014, 06:07 AM   #37
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Excellent pictures! And well done with a close up of the clamps holding each line to the heater core.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2014, 07:54 AM   #38
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Wow! Those are the best "How-To" pictures I have ever seen on any site. Nice extreme close-ups that are well focused. I have only one suggestion to improve it. You don't have to drain the radiator to do this job. By opening the pressure cap and draining at the radiator you put a lot of air in the system. This means you will get much more coolant draining out when you break the connections at the heater core. By keeping the system sealed it sort of vacuum locks and only a little coolant drains out, maybe two or three cups.

One other trick for working under the IP on the passenger side. Remove the glove box and cut away the thin horizontal strip of plastic that remains (part of the dash/instrument panel) that would be below the glove box. You won't miss that piece, just make sure you cut it so the glove box will cover the cuts. This mod gives you a lot more working room.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:08 AM   #39
hacadacalopolis
hacadacalopolis is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1996 SC1

I have another suggestion;
Make sure you are using high heat rated o-rings.

http://m.harborfreight.com/180-piece...not%20provided

Those thin aluminum pipes get really hot and can split regular o-rings.

I find that the viton are superior to hold up, just my 2 cents.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hacadacalopolis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hacadacalopolis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hacadacalopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:15 AM   #40
s3nfo
s3nfo has a spectacular aura abouts3nfo has a spectacular aura abouts3nfo has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

I'm down to about 20, but if anyone needs O-rings, PM me and I'll give you my address, you send me a SASE and I'l send you back 2 O-rings.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote