SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
destro5
destro5 has a spectacular aura aboutdestro5 has a spectacular aura aboutdestro5 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2006 SKY
Default Starter replacement, best aftermarket brand?

Looking to replace my 95 Saturn SW2's starter.

Is there any brands I should avoid or choose one over the other?

Can you go re-manufactured or is new the way to go on these?

There recently was a thread discussing aftermarket parts and ones to use/specs/etc. Any idea where that thread is?

Edit: Found that one, http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ht=spark+plugs

Last edited by destro5; 09-24-2010 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: add

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to destro5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help destro5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
destro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2
Default Re: Starter replacement, best aftermarket brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by destro5 View Post
Looking to replace my 95 Saturn SW2's starter.

Is there any brands I should avoid or choose one over the other?

Can you go re-manufactured or is new the way to go on these?

There recently was a thread discussing aftermarket parts and ones to use/specs/etc. Any idea where that thread is?

Edit: Found that one, http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ht=spark+plugs
Not sure if they're "the best," but I'm pretty happy with my replacement starter. It's a Bosch unit.

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts, but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. -Frank Herbert-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

I've had excellent luck with DB-Electrical in TN. Very prompt service, and the unit I have in there now was either new or so thoroughly rebuilt of an OEM Valeo unit as to be new.

http://www.dbelectrical.com/c-1397-19-liter.aspx

1 year no-quibble warranty. $41, + a few shipping option $12 and up. Hard to beat that. Heck the local U-pull-it-and-get-filthy junkyard wanted $20.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:18 PM   #4
capricess
capricess has a spectacular aura aboutcapricess has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL

i got mine from advance it was a valeo rebuilt starter it works good. it was $118

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to capricess's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help capricess reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
capricess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:49 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hholbein View Post
I've had excellent luck with DB-Electrical in TN. Very prompt service, and the unit I have in there now was either new or so thoroughly rebuilt of an OEM Valeo unit as to be new.

1 year no-quibble warranty. $41, + a few shipping option $12 and up. Hard to beat that. Heck the local U-pull-it-and-get-filthy junkyard wanted $20.
This would be my recommendation also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:37 PM   #6
SRGW
SRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of light

1995 SL1
1997 SL1
Thumbs Up Re: Starter replacement, best aftermarket brand?

+1

I recently replaced mine from DB A OK!!

1995 SL1 174,200 and go'in strong!!
CHECK YOUR OIL!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SRGW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SRGW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SRGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #7
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

That db electrical place sounds like they have some pretty good deals. Unfortunately, alternators and starters usually fail quite suddenly. As a result I'll probably end up paying a lot more from my FLAPS, because I'd need to get the work done ASAP and wouldn't be able to go up to a week without my car while I wait for my part to arrive.

To answer the OP's question, AC Delco is the only brand that stands out to me though. The catch is that AC Delco parts are somewhat hard to come by at the big box stores like NAPA, AutoZone, or Advance Auto. With that said, excellent remanufactured parts can always be purchased from places like that. The more (not necessarily most) expensive parts that come with a lifetime warranty are usually my part of choice.

This is another area of car parts in which only three or four companies supply parts for the majority of the market. This means the exact same part is often sold at competing parts stores with only a different brand on the box.

Having worked for AutoZone, I can tell you that their Duralast hard parts are nearly always of excellent quality. Stay away from the cheaper Valucraft branded parts though. I had a lot of customers return them; particularly the older style Ford starters that don't have the on-board solenoid switch.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 170K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 155K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:59 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

If you have many miles on the car and the starter is original then buying the new one now is not the worst idea. Install the new one and keep the core as the emergency spare.

You usually get a warning of an alternator failure if you are paying attention.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-25-2010, 07:28 PM   #9
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
If you have many miles on the car and the starter is original then buying the new one now is not the worst idea. Install the new one and keep the core as the emergency spare.

You usually get a warning of an alternator failure if you are paying attention.
It's funny you say this because I was thinking the same thing. The net savings vs waiting for parts to fail and paying much more makes this a good idea.

I currently have almost 217K miles on my car so I'm thinking the alternator or starter is going to fail at some point in the near future. I already know that my starter has a bad spot in it, but I've been lucky enough to hear the firm clank of the solenoid (but no engine cranking) engaging and subsequently having to push start the car only 3 or 4 times in the four years I've had it. Once was in the middle of the summer, the latter three times it was the dead of winter. No rhyme or reason to it other than that. It doesn't matter if the engine is cold or warm. It did it twice for a cold start in my driveway and two other times just after I filled up with gas when the engine was already warm.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 170K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 155K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:03 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Starters tend to just quit but alternators get weak before the go so you usually see dim headlights when you slow down and that is a big clue that its done for.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2010, 08:52 AM   #11
irish56
Advanced Member
irish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really nice

1999 SC1

How can dbElectrical sell a brand-new Valeo starter for $41? That's a fantastic deal. I bought a Duralast reman with lifetime warranty for $119 last winter (probably the same one capricess got at Advance for $1 less) and the internal paperwork said "Valeo."

No complaints thus far with the Duralast/Valeo starter, except that it sounds odd, like a Honda starter.

'95 SL1 auto (RIP)
'98 SL2 5sp (RIP)
'01 SL2 auto (RIP)
'99 SC1 auto (Mom's...keeps on truckin')

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to irish56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help irish56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
irish56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The markup on auto parts is rather excessive. That is why AutoZone gets 120.00 for a 40.00 starter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2010, 09:11 AM   #13
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Quote:
I already know that my starter has a bad spot in it, but I've been lucky enough to hear the firm clank of the solenoid (but no engine cranking)
Have you tried cleaning out the starter / solonoid switch and contacts? I watched the youtube video on this (not Richpin) and it was super easy. I was having intermittant starter failure and found that the switch contacts were really cruddy. I cleaned it all out and have not had a problem since.

I also cleaned out the spare starter I have on hand. I love spare parts!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:04 AM   #14
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

NSA Starters are a direct replica of the Valeo Starters that were OEM in the S-Series.

Bought one a few years back on my 97 SW2, with no issues. Cost was around $120.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:27 AM   #15
mr18436572
mr18436572 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

My OEM $20 starter from the Junkyard is still doing its job

2000 SL2 auto - 167k - sold
1996 SL2 auto - 161k - sold
1997 SC2 auto - 105k - sold
2000 SC2 auto - 117k - sold
1996 SL2 auto - 250k - sold
2001 SC2 5sp - 160k - sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr18436572's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr18436572 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mr18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:52 AM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

When buying a "new" Chinese copy or a nice rebuilt it is only worth about $20.00 wholesale and $40.00 retail. I like the $20.00 JY specials.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #17
Lvnmarks
Lvnmarks is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
When buying a "new" Chinese copy or a nice rebuilt it is only worth about $20.00 wholesale and $40.00 retail. I like the $20.00 JY specials.

My car is a 2000 SL1 SOHC 187K MI

My starter solenoid was sticking so I went to the junk yard and got another one out of a 2002 SL1 SOHC, Installed it when I got home and now I have a new problem.

The solenoid engages when I hook the battery cables back up, even with no key in the ignition. I know the wiring is good because I started the car once more before I replaced it. The only difference in the starters is the signal wire terminal was on the other side of the solenoid. Looking up the part numbers and doing some cross referencing says this starter should work.

Did I just get the wrong starter or what? I'm about to buy one from the web site listed above but wanted to get some opinions first.

Thanks

Eric
2004 Saturn VUE, 3.5L AWD
2000 Saturn SL1
1995 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC
1914 Ford Model T

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lvnmarks's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lvnmarks reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lvnmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Do you have it hooked up correctly?

The red battery and alternator wires both go on the large terminal that presently has nothing connected to it and is farthest from the actual starter motor. The purple wire goes on the small terminal closest to the block.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #19
Lvnmarks
Lvnmarks is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
2004 VUE 3.5L

That is exactly how it came out and how the new (used) one was installed.

Eric
2004 Saturn VUE, 3.5L AWD
2000 Saturn SL1
1995 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC
1914 Ford Model T

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lvnmarks's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lvnmarks reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lvnmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #20
LabRat
Advanced Member
LabRat is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
1999 SL2

Either the JY starter is bad or something is fubar in the wiring.

I'd disconnect the main power to the starter (so it's not cranking) then hook up the battery. See if you have voltage to the purple control wire without turning the key; this would indicate something else wrong, like a stuck relay or ignition switch problem.

Good Luck!
-LR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LabRat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LabRat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote