SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
ehalpern
ehalpern is on a distinguished road

Default Sell or Keep 2000 L-series wagon ???

My daily driver is a 2000 L-series wagon with 149k miles on it.

no accidents
did the full 100k service at a dealer
new stearing pump at 35k miles
new water pump during 100k service
burned out driver's seat heater
1 new coil pack at 140k miles
rear rotors at 120k miles
front rotors & pads every 35k miles
did left drivers door check, now needs right one (CLICK)
no visible rust
original SS mufler system
AC is great (could make ice if needed)
all original shocks/struts
front end noisy (ball joints, bushings, etc.... something is in need of replacement before my next PA inspection in March 2011)

It still drives strong and it is reliable.

I'm the original owner. If I keep it I wouldn't do the timing belt and plugs at 200k miles for diminishing returns.

My fear is that it is in the money pit days of its life. I realize that spending $1k or $2k over the course of a year is cheaper than car payments. But, with Saturn gone I'm forced to seek a private garage.

I enjoyed the dealership. They were nice. i know I paid a little more for work and parts, but I NEVER had a bad experiance.

So this is an emotional thing for me. Do I stay the course for another few years or get out of it before it get expensive???

What do L-Series owners in my position do?

Thannks for any feedback.

Sincerely,
Eric (wayne, PA)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ehalpern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ehalpern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ehalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2010, 07:55 AM   #2
LastL4Banger
LastL4Banger is on a distinguished road

2004 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Sell or Keep 2000 L-series wagon ???

keep it and buy a new car. Unless the dealer has one of those '5000 dollars for every trade in ' promotions. the car cant be worth much right? Now you can do the repairs yourself with no pressure to get it done. Its more fun to do things when you aren't sweating how you'll get to work if you screw it up. This site is an invaluable learning tool.

plus, a wagon is as good as a truck. everybody needs a truck now and then.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LastL4Banger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LastL4Banger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LastL4Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Tough decision. Are there cars you have in mind as a replacement? I've always thought that if you are satisfied with your current car and you've considered the future (which you have), it's worth keeping it and saving a portion of what you would have spent on the new car for maintenance on your L. I miss our L300, but it wasn't entirely my choice to move to the VUE and it's worked out very well for us. That said, it doesn't drive nearly as well as the L300, in my opinion. The L81 V6 motor is a gem.

The extra utility of the wagon is another reason to keep it...it's about impossible to find a mid-size wagon anymore. If I were you, I would enjoy it for a little while longer and you'll know when it's ready to move on. With 149k on it, a few more miles won't make any difference whatsoever on its value at this point. Maybe take it to 200k and walk away from it before it's time for another new timing belt. Good luck!

Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
cavalier
cavalier is on a distinguished road

The rule of thumb that I've heard in these matters is if the vehicle is costing you in excess of what 3-4 monthly car payments would cost on a new car, it's time to dump it.

Keep in mind these costs are not for routine maintenance items, but rather spot repairs that need to be made.

Coming from someone with a 2000 LS1 with 208,000 miles on the clock, I'd keep it if I were you.

Plus even with a new car nowadays it can be a real crap shoot, especially as I hear about car owners with vehicles from various manufacturers (Ford, Nissan) having problems with variable transmissions, making me question just how great this newfangled technology really is.

As for parts availability I really don't think it's going to be a major concern for another 3-5 years yet, so save up them bucks for a new ride in the meantime (unless, of course, the situation I posted about up top begins to happen).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cavalier's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cavalier reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
mattachuz
Advanced Member
mattachuz is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalier View Post
The rule of thumb that I've heard in these matters is if the vehicle is costing you in excess of what 3-4 monthly car payments would cost on a new car, it's time to dump it.

Keep in mind these costs are not for routine maintenance items, but rather spot repairs that need to be made.

Coming from someone with a 2000 LS1 with 208,000 miles on the clock, I'd keep it if I were you.

Plus even with a new car nowadays it can be a real crap shoot, especially as I hear about car owners with vehicles from various manufacturers (Ford, Nissan) having problems with variable transmissions, making me question just how great this newfangled technology really is.

As for parts availability I really don't think it's going to be a major concern for another 3-5 years yet, so save up them bucks for a new ride in the meantime (unless, of course, the situation I posted about up top begins to happen).
good point, i have a 2000 ls1 with 169k miles on it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattachuz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattachuz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattachuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:53 PM   #6
SC2Sick
Advanced Member
SC2Sick will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

Didn't read the thread.. but my advice.. sell the L and buy an S.

sixthsphere.com owner
1997 Saturn SC2 Turbo
sixthsphere.com/showthread.php/89737

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2Sick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2Sick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2Sick is offline   Reply With Quote