SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
edgrmndz
edgrmndz is on a distinguished road

Default "security" blinking on dashboard, the car won't start

My 2002 sl1 won't start when in the dashboard the "security" yellow light is blinking,, I don't have an alarm to activate or disactivate the alarm, in order for me to start the car I simply wait for the "security" to stop
blinking and then the car will start..the car does this whenever it feels like sometimes once a day maybe twice a week maybe more so I have no control over this issue,, I just wait when it happens sometime maybe 3 mins other times up to 10 minutes. any sugestion would be appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edgrmndz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edgrmndz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
edgrmndz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: "security" blinking on dashboard, the car won't start

Your remote simultaneously Locks and enables the factory theft deterrent system (Passlock). Pressing Unlock opens doors and disables Passlock. Search for the 30-minute relearn procedure. This may correct the issue or else the Passlock components surrounding the ignition lock cylinder are flaky. Hopefully the relearn works and you won't have to tear apart the steering column.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Your remote simultaneously Locks and enables the factory theft deterrent system (Passlock). Pressing Unlock opens doors and disables Passlock. Search for the 30-minute relearn procedure. This may correct the issue or else the Passlock components surrounding the ignition lock cylinder are flaky. Hopefully the relearn works and you won't have to tear apart the steering column.
+1^^

Follow the steps below to perform the Passlock relearn procedure.

1. Turn ignition switch to RUN position.
2. Momentarily rotate ignition switch to START position and return to RUN position. DO NOT start vehicle.
3. Wait ten minutes.
4. When SECURITY indicator light changes from a flashing or on state to an off state, turn ignition to OFF position.
5. repeat steps 1-4 two more times (for a total of three times)

If the ignition switch is turned OFF before the SECURITY indicator light changes state, the relearn procedure must be restarted.

The car should start on next ignition cycle.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 150K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:37 PM   #4
edgrmndz

Thank you. I will try that procedure tomorrow morning. I don't have a remote control that's what I meant when I said I don't have an alarm, but I guess not having a remote doesn't matter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help edgrmndz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-20-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

If the SECURITY light is coming on, you DO have the factory RKE/Security system. You can get remote fobs for it via eBay pretty cheap, but unfortunately, it being a gen-3 car, you have to take it to a dealer to program the fobs.

Perhaps the BCM (which contains RKE functionality) is occasionally resetting itself, and in doing so is assuming the car was locked with the remote, and is thus tripping the security mode when you unlock the car. Not sure how you would diagnose that, though. Are you having any other charging system issues? Radio presets disappearing, anything like that?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:13 AM   #6
edgrmndz

I have no other issues with this car. today in the morning I took it to a saturn dealer since I have a saturn remote that someone gave me and the guy at the dealer hooked up the machine ( he was going to set the remote for free!! I could not beleive it) but of course there was a problem,, the dealer guy told me that the computer was not comunicating with the vehicle and that I had to leave the vehicle and have more test done,( but just to run diagnostic would cost me $90) so I decided to ask you guys.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2010, 01:18 AM   #7
edgrmndz

And then in the afternoon I took it to an alarm shop and they were going to
bypass the originall alarm and hook up theirs and give me two remotes that were going to be able to unlock the door and of course set the alarm all this was going to cost me $125.00,,but then after being there for half an hour, the technician told me that they could not do it, simply they could not do anything with this car and I had to take it to the dealer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2010, 02:57 AM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Before you get caught up in the confusion, try the relearn first. This doesn't require the remotes at all. If this works then you can decide if its worth the money for having remotes programmed. Beware of dealers taking advantage of Saturn's demise..........to cash in on any opportunity. You were given a hint already whe the dealer suddenly changed attitude.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:00 AM   #9
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

^^^^ +1; and since it's a factory security system, an "alarm shop" won't be much help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-21-2010, 05:58 PM   #10
edgrmndz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
+1^^

Follow the steps below to perform the Passlock relearn procedure.

1. Turn ignition switch to RUN position.
2. Momentarily rotate ignition switch to START position and return to RUN position. DO NOT start vehicle.
3. Wait ten minutes.
4. When SECURITY indicator light changes from a flashing or on state to an off state, turn ignition to OFF position.
5. repeat steps 1-4 two more times (for a total of three times)

If the ignition switch is turned OFF before the SECURITY indicator light changes state, the relearn procedure must be restarted.

The car should start on next ignition cycle.
???

I have a problem with the step number two where it says " DO NOT start the vehicle" but when I rotate the ignition to the START position; the car starts right away since the START position on my car is where it cranks and starts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2010, 08:12 PM   #11
madpogue

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrmndz View Post
???

I have a problem with the step number two where it says " DO NOT start the vehicle" but when I rotate the ignition to the START position; the car starts right away since the START position on my car is where it cranks and starts.
If you can't do it fast enough to avoid starting the engine, you could disconnect the ignition module. Or pull all the spark plug wires at the coils (a bit of extra work with the gen-3 hold-down clips).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #12
edgrmndz

Ok, I will remove the wires and try again.
Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2011, 11:05 PM   #13
jsdeschaine
jsdeschaine is on a distinguished road

We are in the same situation, we replaced the battery to a new one and now the sec light blinks and we cant start car, we have tried relean, but no avail, the reduced power and air bag light are on as well, and ive only owned itr three days: cant wait to drive it lol. let me know what works now they say the might have to reprogran bcm $600 i dont know what to do

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jsdeschaine's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jsdeschaine reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jsdeschaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:53 AM   #14
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdeschaine View Post
...the reduced power and air bag light are on as well...
Are you sure you have an S-Series Saturn? The S-Series do not have a reduced power light. So if you don't have an S-Series, the relearn procedure posted earlier won't work on your car.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 150K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote