SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Will you register your S-Series when it is eligible for Historical Vehicle status?
Yes, I will register my S-Series as an Historical Vehicle 20 60.61%
No, I will not register my S-Series as an Historical Vehicle 4 12.12%
Why? It's JUST a Car.... 6 18.18%
What does it mean to register a car as an Historical Vehicle? 3 9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2
1997 SW2
Arrow Historical Vehicles? The future of the S-Series

I know that is may or may not be anything signifigant to those of you who are "casual" S-Series owners versus those that have S-Series cars for a long time and plan on keeping them for the future.

I am curious to know this:

If you currently own an S-Series as the stipulation in most states for a car to be considered "Historical"; the timeframe is 25 years or old.

The first S-Series cars (1991) will be eligible for "Historical Vehicle" plates and registration in 2016...a mere 6 years away.

How many of you plan on holding onto your cars long enough to maintain them, for them to get to "Historical Vehicle" status; and then when your S-Series is eligible, will you register the car as an Historical Vehicle?

What are your thoughts?

Bryan

94 SL2 225K Miles
97 SW2 255K Miles

Garaged
94 SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

Never Forget
94 SC1 340,501 Miles
Original Engine/Auto Trans
02/97-10/08
Gone 03/12

92 SL1
05 VUE
91 SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
Default Re: Historical Vehicles? The future of the S-Series

how many 91's are even still on the road? i doubt you will see many of these cars registered as historical. the majority of these cars lead normal lives commuting every day through the sun, rain & snow. they are economical & get good gas mileage. by the time they are 25 years old most of them will be ready for the junkyard, not sitting in a garage with historical plates on them. these are saturns, not corvettes.....

if ya do register them as historical, that means your limited on how far & much you can drive the car.

this also depends on the economy, as most people today have probably 1 car due to the high cost of insurance & gas. hell in the 80's i had 3 cars myself, now i can just afford 1, so that being said that will also hinder the historical registration of lots of these cars. i'll keep my car as long as it's intact & in excellent condition, but if the body starts rusting severly the car's finished. it's not in our control how long we keep our cars really, it's up to the man upstairs...

owners of saturns who live in places where metal doesn't rust & don't drive their cars far every day can get away with it & save on registrating every year, but that's only a small percentage of all saturn owners....

Last edited by saturnsctwo; 09-17-2010 at 11:26 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

i'm sure lots of us would keep our cars much longer than we do, but in many cases especially where they use tons of salt in the winter, lots of cars rust out early in their lives & never would get to be that old, not even close, & most saturns are driven not stored as clsssic cars, so that's why i don't think many will wear those historcial plates. my corvette had them, my 1974 cutlass had them, my 1982 kawasaki kz 440 had them but those vehicles had 1 thing in common, they sat in the garage unused....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2
1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsctwo View Post
i'm sure lots of us would keep our cars much longer than we do, but in many cases especially where they use tons of salt in the winter, lots of cars rust out early in their lives & never would get to be that old, not even close, & most saturns are driven not stored as clsssic cars, so that's why i don't think many will wear those historcial plates. my corvette had them, my 1974 cutlass had them, my 1982 kawasaki kz 440 had them but those vehicles had 1 thing in common, they sat in the garage unused....
That's kind of what I am trying to get at...if you look at the history of Saturn and how it was started, etc. The S-Series was car unlike anything else when it was made,especially the 1st Gen cars from 1991-1995.

Granted, I know that older Saturns will probably never get the noteriety of Original Volkswagen Beetles, my thought is that there *possibly* may be a market for these as *possible* classic cars in the future. The only reason why I say this is that S-Series cars were designed to be "Different" and not like anything else on the road.

While I know that they are just considered to be "standard everyday joe type car", I am sure that there would be some type of appreciation of and for Saturn in the future for what it once was; and how a small group of people at GM tried; and were successful in their own right; to do something that hadn't been done before...

Bryan

94 SL2 225K Miles
97 SW2 255K Miles

Garaged
94 SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

Never Forget
94 SC1 340,501 Miles
02/97-10/08
Gone 03/12

92 SL1
05 VUE
91 SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
mattelderca
mattelderca will become famous soon enough

1998 SC1
1996 SL

Hey, I agree, you never know!
Remeber the AMC pacer? everyone hated the dam things. Try to buy one now!
No one would ever had guessed at how collectible that car would be.

2000 SL1 freebie, my sons DD
1998 SC1 still running, FOR SALE cheap!
1996 SL, GONE but not forgotten
2005 Generic Silver Minivan (Kia Sedona)
2009 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattelderca's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattelderca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattelderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:12 PM   #6
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

if any car could look good after 25 years the saturn can with it's plastic panels, but even still most of these cars see everyday use. how many people do you know with a saturn in their garage unused & they are keeping it as a collectable? i don't know know anybody......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
2NDSOUT
Master Member

1994 SL2
1997 SW2

Quote:
if any car could look good after 25 years the saturn can with it's plastic panels, but even still most of these cars see everyday use. how many people do you know with a saturn in their garage unused & they are keeping it as a collectable? i don't know know anybody......

<---- Right here. My Homecoming Edition is in my garage. There are some things that I am working on it. As it was a limited production Saturn (3500 of them made)... It will be more of a weekend driving car more than anything else.

I'm sure that someone that somewhere has a red hot or white coupe, or a yellow SC2 (one of the 99 made..which are DIFFERENT from the standard 01 Yellow Coupe that was built).... where they are holding onto it for "fun" driving and not everyday use.

Bryan

94 SL2 225K Miles
97 SW2 255K Miles

Garaged
94 SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

Never Forget
94 SC1 340,501 Miles
02/97-10/08
Gone 03/12

92 SL1
05 VUE
91 SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
<---- Right here. My Homecoming Edition is in my garage. There are some things that I am working on it. As it was a limited production Saturn (3500 of them made)... It will be more of a weekend driving car more than anything else.

I'm sure that someone that somewhere has a red hot or white coupe, or a yellow SC2 (one of the 99 made..which are DIFFERENT from the standard 01 Yellow Coupe that was built).... where they are holding onto it for "fun" driving and not everyday use.
well i know 1 now! actually as i think back saturn did make some collectable cars. some had that 2 tone paint & the interior was 2 tone. remember those? i think the roof was one color & the body was another? i would have bought one if they existed when i bought mine, but i think they were later..... i special ordered my car fully loaded & i don't remember any fancy paint scheme like that or any special model available at that time. those might be worth something, but even those are mostly still on the road i bet. i never seen one though. i did see a saturn convertable that was custom made. something like that might be collectable & worthy of historcial plates seeing they probably won't be driven in the winter...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #9
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

what special stuff does your homecomming edition car have over a standard model?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #10
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

some stuff that's supposed to make cars "collectable" make me laugh! my sister has a "collectable" monte carlo pace car. the only thing it has over a standard ss monte carlo is a decal package, ya know all those checkered flag stickers & a dale earnhardt sticker. big deal! just because it has a bunch of tape on it it's "collectable" lol!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #11
2NDSOUT
Master Member

1994 SL2
1997 SW2

Quote:
what special stuff does your homecomming edition car have over a standard model?
The HCE has more than "Decals" on it...

Specialized Pearl White Paint, that was only shared with 1 other Cadillac model, along with alot of other bells and whistles that were only available either on the regular Sedan or regular SC2.

Here's an article written a few years back posted here on what the HCE has on it:

http://www.saturnfans.com/cars/s-ser...mecoming-sedan

They are a nice piece to have...finding matching panels was a nightmare. But I found all of the panels I needed last summer.

Bryan

94 SL2 225K Miles
97 SW2 255K Miles

Garaged
94 SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

Never Forget
94 SC1 340,501 Miles
02/97-10/08
Gone 03/12

92 SL1
05 VUE
91 SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2010, 04:04 PM   #12
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

I was tempted to buy that "new" SL1(?) that was on eBay not long ago from the factory vault, but I know I would put it into use as a daily driver

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction?
Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p
102k @ purchase, now 167k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:49 PM   #13
mattelderca

1998 SC1
1996 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
I was tempted to buy that "new" SL1(?) that was on eBay not long ago from the factory vault, but I know I would put it into use as a daily driver
You would have ended up doing as much work to that car as you would to a used one. I bet it would start leaking fluids, squeaking loudly from all kinds of places, and possible failure in some electrical components as well.
I have seen this on some nice cars that never got driven and sat indoors.
Some things don't age well.

2009 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mattelderca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2010, 05:17 PM   #14
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
The HCE has more than "Decals" on it...

Specialized Pearl White Paint, that was only shared with 1 other Cadillac model, along with alot of other bells and whistles that were only available either on the regular Sedan or regular SC2.

Here's an article written a few years back posted here on what the HCE has on it:

http://www.saturnfans.com/cars/s-ser...mecoming-sedan

They are a nice piece to have...finding matching panels was a nightmare. But I found all of the panels I needed last summer.
the only thing your car has that mine doesn't is a special paint color really. i special ordered my car new with every option in the book minus aluminum wheels, so my car is special also as no sc2 on the lot i looked at during that time had the equipment that mine does. if i tried to sell mine that would command higher dollars vs other cars less equipped.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #15
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattelderca View Post
You would have ended up doing as much work to that car as you would to a used one. I bet it would start leaking fluids, squeaking loudly from all kinds of places, and possible failure in some electrical components as well.
I have seen this on some nice cars that never got driven and sat indoors.
Some things don't age well.
that car didn't have any options as i recall. hell my car is in the same excellent condition as that one, just more miles on it, but the full equipment list on my car makes me enjoy it more. did that car ever even sell? i don't remember....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2010, 05:35 PM   #16
mattelderca

1998 SC1
1996 SL

Quote:
the only thing your car has that mine doesn't is a special paint color really. i special ordered my car new with every option in the book minus aluminum wheels, so my car is special also as no sc2 on the lot i looked at during that time had the equipment that mine does. if i tried to sell mine that would command higher dollars vs other cars less equipped.....
Not always true!
My 78 NewYorker for example has only one option. Making it a very rare car.
Fully dressed NewYorkers are out there, stripped "Amish" ones are not.
More or less collectible is up to who wants it and who has the cash to pay for it. Most of the highest dollar value collector cars are bare bones muscle cars.

2009 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2010, 05:45 PM   #17
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Not always true!
My 78 NewYorker for example has only one option. Making it a very rare car.
Fully dressed NewYorkers are out there, stripped "Amish" ones are not.
More or less collectible is up to who wants it and who has the cash to pay for it. Most of the highest dollar value collector cars are bare bones muscle cars.
i still say the higher optioned cars command more bucks especially if the options are rare. a lot of those bare muscle cars just had manual windows & no power anything. the dashboards just had a fuel guage & speedometer. what was rare on those cars was to have full power options & a full instrument cluster. especially the full cluster, that was rare on them. i seen some of those cars with those options in the past & they wanted a king's ransom for them...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #18
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Hey, I agree, you never know!
Remeber the AMC pacer? everyone hated the dam things. Try to buy one now!
No one would ever had guessed at how collectible that car would be.
Same can be said for the Edsel... they were an epic failure at first, now they go for ~$100k.

Having said that, if it weren't for the restrictions they put on historical tags, and it would look, well, a bit different than most cars in a show, I'd do it. On the flipside, I heard historical tagged cars get dirt cheap insurance..

And saturnsctwo wins. The more options you have on a car = the more money it can fetch.. If it weren't for most of the options I have on my car, on KBB.com in good condition, it's worth ~$1500. Also, gauge clusters with the speedometer and fuel gauge WTF... Why wasn't there a temperature, voltage, and oil pressure gauge?

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:42 PM   #19
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
Same can be said for the Edsel... they were an epic failure at first, now they go for ~$100k.

Having said that, if it weren't for the restrictions they put on historical tags, and it would look, well, a bit different than most cars in a show, I'd do it. On the flipside, I heard historical tagged cars get dirt cheap insurance..

And saturnsctwo wins. The more options you have on a car = the more money it can fetch.. If it weren't for most of the options I have on my car, on KBB.com in good condition, it's worth ~$1500. Also, gauge clusters with the speedometer and fuel gauge WTF... Why wasn't there a temperature, voltage, and oil pressure gauge?
i still have the historical plates from my old cars hanging on my bedroom walls as rememberance. even the motorcycle plate as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #20
wscreate
wscreate is on a distinguished road

I kept my daughter's first car, a 1994 SC2. She is on her own now and I have the car and have been slowly restoring it to glory mechanically and cosmetically. It will take some time as I am not rich, but I plan to restore it to near mint and keep the car. When I pass on, I will put it in my will that she will get the car (which will be awhile I hope as I am in my early 40's). Hopefully the car is still drivable then and in good condition and maybe even worth a few bucks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wscreate's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wscreate reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wscreate is offline   Reply With Quote