SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
amorgan93
amorgan93 is on a distinguished road

Default Timing chain help. 94 sl2

so when i crank up my 94 sl2 cold, it has a noise coming from the timing chain at any rpm below 1200. Once the motor warms up, and the oil gets hot, the noise completly goes away. I figure i need a timing chain kit but im starting to think the chain is fine. I believe the problem is due to the hydraulic timing chain tensioner. Because when the oil gets hot, the oil gets thinner and in my mind would flow better to the tensioner. I took off the cam cover and inspected the cams, no breaks, the cams actually look pretty new. The motor has 195k miles on it and there is absolute minor wear on the cam lobes and lifters. And the teeth on the sprockets on the cams looks fairly new. So i'm thinking about trying just replacing the chain tensioner. What do you guys think? here is video of my cars noise. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz5-PwOIfSg

my dad is a mechanic and he believe it is also the hydraulic tensioner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amorgan93's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amorgan93 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amorgan93 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: Timing chain help. 94 sl2

With how freaking annoying it would be to "just" replace the tensioner with the engine in the car you might as well do the chain & guides as well.
I think the kit I bought was around $150, came with a chain, guides, and sprockets for the cams and crankshaft, tensioner and maybe something I'm forgetting. It ways the Cloyes set from rockauto if it helps any.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
amorgan93

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
With how freaking annoying it would be to "just" replace the tensioner with the engine in the car you might as well do the chain & guides as well.
I think the kit I bought was around $150, came with a chain, guides, and sprockets for the cams and crankshaft, tensioner and maybe something I'm forgetting. It ways the Cloyes set from rockauto if it helps any.
im not sure i want to spend $150 bucks on this car. i already need 2 front control arms because the ball joints are shot, i also need a new sway bar because the car ran with no bushing on the right side and the sleeve and washer is made to the sway bar. I thought they came off so i turned it hard thinking that it was just seized by rust. ended up turning the entire piece that is pressed into the hollow sway bar. Plus the car smokes badly but stops when the motor gets hot. Ive already had to replace the radiator and starter. I tried doing a MMO soak for around 20 hours, which didn't help the smoking. And i don't want to just junk the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help amorgan93 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Then run it until the chain decides it wants to take a peek through the valve cover.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
amorgan93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Then run it until the chain decides it wants to take a peek through the valve cover.
the thing is, the chain doesnt look that old. i've only had this car for a couple months. i believe the previous owner may have replaced it. i mean the cam sprockets looked immaculant

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

A worn chain and new chain dont look that much different. Its not until you get it out and compare it to a new one a see the difference in lengh.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
amorgan93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
A worn chain and new chain dont look that much different. Its not until you get it out and compare it to a new one a see the difference in lengh.
oh ok

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #8
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

I'd say if you chain was indeed bad, it would make noise all the time, not just when cold.
My car makes noise all the time, warm or cold. Only noticeable at idle.

1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #9
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2

It could be the belt tensioner which tends to be noisy at low rpm's when it is going bad. A quick test is to remove the serpentine belt and run the engine for only a minute or so to avoid overheating. If the noise is gone, it is not the timing chain.

Current Fleet:
97 Black Gold SC2 Manual
97 Silver SC2 Auto
98 White SL2 Auto
00 Silver SL2 Auto
03 Pontiac Montana
00 Yamaha SUV1200 Waverunner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #10
azrocketman
azrocketman is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

If I'm not mistaken, the tensioner ratchets out from hydraulic pressure but is kept extended by a pawl. I think you are going down a rabbit hole chasing the tensioner.

Steve

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to azrocketman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help azrocketman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
azrocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:59 AM   #11
DES1988
DES1988 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

My tensioner went bad on my 94 Sl2. It was a $30 part the plastic boot on the end busted off and you could hear it rattle around low rpms. It was held in place, but with the boot gone it didn't extend any further and the guide was free to move.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DES1988's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DES1988 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DES1988 is offline   Reply With Quote