SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
Kingstonlake
Kingstonlake is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
Default 08' warranty question

Hello all, new here but a quick question:

Purchased a used 08' XE with 52,000 from a ford dealer. Immediately noticed a tranny clunk going up hill, took it to a GM dealer and they said it was a fouled plug, which I paid $170 for. Yes, $170, because they looked into a torque converter issue. Wasn't happy obviously. Anyway, backed out of the driveway friday night and put it into drive and it keep going in reverse, put it into park and it was sloppy up and down the shift range. Had it towed to the same dealer and they inform me the coolant reservoir had a small leak that deteriorated the shift cable and a bracket (aren't those cables coated?) and the cable broke. No warranty coverage, $700 please. I'm PO'd. Shouldn't this be covered? And why wasn't this noticed when the original tranny inspection was done 5 months ago? My biggest problem was the first question out of the service guys mouth was "do you have an extended warranty"? I asked him, "why would you ask me that before you've even looked at the vehicle?" His answer? "To save you some money".

Advice?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kingstonlake's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kingstonlake reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kingstonlake is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
greenman
greenman will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XE
Default Re: 08' warranty question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonlake View Post

Purchased a used 08' XE with 52,000 from a ford dealer. Immediately noticed a tranny clunk going up hill, took it to a GM dealer and they said it was a fouled plug, which I paid $170 for. Yes, $170, because they looked into a torque converter issue. Wasn't happy obviously. Anyway, backed out of the driveway friday night and put it into drive and it keep going in reverse, put it into park and it was sloppy up and down the shift range. Had it towed to the same dealer and they inform me the coolant reservoir had a small leak that deteriorated the shift cable and a bracket (aren't those cables coated?) and the cable broke. No warranty coverage, $700 please. I'm PO'd. Shouldn't this be covered? And why wasn't this noticed when the original tranny inspection was done 5 months ago? My biggest problem was the first question out of the service guys mouth was "do you have an extended warranty"? I asked him, "why would you ask me that before you've even looked at the vehicle?" His answer? "To save you some money".

Advice?
Take that bad boy to the closest Saturn-certified GM dealer. The Saturn dealerships were transferred to Saturn-certified GM dealers. You can find the dealer closest to you at Saturn.com. You have a 5yr/100,000mi powertrain warranty that transferred fully over to you when you bought the vehicle. Can't believe they didn't mention that little detail at that ford dealership.

http://www.saturn.com/warranty/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
Kingstonlake
Kingstonlake is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Ok, Weird.

Dealership called and said GM would cover $600 of the $700 repair bill. Told them thank you, I really appreciate their effort in contacting GM to cover this under warranty. Thennnnn, not 20 minutes later got a call from GM warranty services and they said they cannot help me on covering anything, coolant tank leaking not covered under 5 year 100,000 power train warranty. Even mentioned my service guy by name.

Something doesn't add up. Paid the $100 and walked out the door.....Scratches head....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kingstonlake's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kingstonlake reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kingstonlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
baby coop
baby coop is on a distinguished road

When I took my Saturn in for service, I was told that the 100,000/5 year warranty covers the transmission only and the other basic warranty on everything is only effective for 36,000 miles. You should contact the Ford dealership and make sure whatever warranties are on it are transferable to any GM Saturn-certified dealership.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to baby coop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help baby coop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
baby coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #5
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

ford wont cover gm warranty. 5/100 is very comprehensive on 07,08,09. not as much on 10, 11. any gm dealer will do it. covers much more than just transmission.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:51 AM   #6
greenman

2009 AURA XE

THE SATURN 5-YEAR/100,000-MILE POWERTRAIN WARRANTY

Every 2009 Saturn comes with the Best Coverage in America—standard.

* Saturn 5-year/100,000-mile Transferable Powertrain Limited Warranty with no deductible
* Saturn 5-year/100,000-mile 24/7 Roadside Assistance
* Saturn 5-year/100,000-mile Courtesy Transportation

Covered for 5 years/100,000 miles

Saturn will cover each 2007 through 2009 model year Saturn passenger car, light-duty truck or van for 5 years or 100,000 miles/160,000 km. (whichever comes first) with no deductible, from the original in-service date of the vehicle, for warrantable repairs which are required as a result of defects due to material and/or workmanship to the powertrain components as listed below:
Engine

Cylinder head(s), block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve cover(s), oil pan, seals, gaskets, turbocharger, supercharger, all internal lubricated parts as well as manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer and engine mounts. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval.
Transmission/Transaxle/Transfer Case

Case, all internal lubricated parts, torque converter, transfer case, transmission/transaxle mounts, seals and gaskets.
Drive Systems

Final drive housing, all internal lubricated parts, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, axle housing, propeller shafts, universal joints, wheel bearings, locking hubs, front differential actuator, supports, front and rear hub bearings, seals and gaskets.
Courtesy Transportation Program

Courtesy Transportation is also included for 5 years or 100,000 miles (whichever comes first) on all 2007 through 2009 Saturn passenger cars and light-duty trucks. Whenever warranty repairs are required, several transportation options and/or reimbursement of certain transportation expenses are available for your convenience at participating retailers.
Roadside Assistance Program

Saturn is proud to offer the response, security and convenience of the 24-hour Roadside Assistance Program for a period of 5 years or 100,000 miles/160,000 km., (whichever comes first). Refer to your Owner’s Manual for details, or consult your retailer. The Roadside Assistance contact information is listed in the Customer Assistance Offices section of the Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet.
What Is Not Covered

All the above items are not covered for damage due to accident, misuse, alteration, insufficient or improper maintenance, contaminated or poor quality fuel. For complete details, refer to your Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet.

This is a supplement to the expressed conditions and warranties described in the Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet. Other coverages are not extended or altered due to this supplement.

For 2007 through 2009 model year passenger car, light-duty truck and van owners requiring a more comprehensive coverage than what is provided with this warranty and the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, an authorized GM service contract (GM Protection Plan, Saturn Service Plan) is available through your retailer. These are the only plans recommended by General Motors. See your selling retailer or Saturn Authorized Service Provider for details.
Covered for 3 years/36,000 miles

Saturn backs your new vehicle with its no-deductible, Bumper-to-Bumper New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The entire vehicle is warranted for repairs, including parts and labor, to correct problems in materials or workmanship, for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first, excludes normal maintenance). The warranty covers towing to the nearest Saturn retailer or Saturn Authorized Service Provider, and there is no deductible for warranty repairs during the warranty period. The warranty transfers automatically with vehicle ownership during the warranty period.
Covered for 6 years/100,000 miles
Corrosion Protection

Saturn vehicles are designed and built to resist corrosion. All body and sheet metal components are warranted against rust-through corrosion for 6 years or 100,000 miles (whichever comes first). Application of additional rust-inhibiting materials is neither necessary nor required under the Sheet Metal Coverage. Saturn makes no recommendations concerning the usefulness or value of such products. Application of after-manufacture rustproofing products may create an environment which reduces the corrosion resistance built into your vehicle. Repairs to correct damage caused by such applications are not covered under your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. See your selling retailer or Saturn Authorized Service Provider for terms of this limited warranty.
An Important Note about Alterations and Warranties

Installations or alterations to the original equipment vehicle (or chassis) as distributed by General Motors are not covered by the General Motors New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The special body company, assembler, equipment installer or upfitter is solely responsible for warranties on the body or equipment and any alterations (or any effect of the alterations) to any of the parts, components, systems or assemblies installed by GM. General Motors is not responsible for the safety or quality of design features, materials or workmanship of any alterations by such suppliers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-09-2010, 11:56 AM   #7
metgol
metgol is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonlake View Post

Advice?
Had the shift cable break. It was not covered by the powertrain warranty but my extended warranty. As far as taking a Saturn to a Ford dealer they wouldn't know its not even on their platform. Better luck going to a GM dealer where they have worked on the platform mates of the Aura and know of the issues related.

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metgol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metgol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
metgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:53 AM   #8
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Sounds like the gear shift cables are something to watch on our cars. Anyone else seen this issue? Any clue where they break?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #9
krazykev
krazykev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Sounds like the gear shift cables are something to watch on our cars. Anyone else seen this issue? Any clue where they break?
Mine broke at 39,500 miles (out of warranty). It was the clip on the end on the tranny and also below the reservoir tank. On a side note, I did replace the radiator overflow cap prior to the cable breaking because it was causing a drip from the reservoir. Looks like it could be a common issue; perhaps a deflector needs to be fabricated to keep any leakage from landing on the tranny cable. The repairs cost me around $300 at a GM dealer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to krazykev's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help krazykev reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
krazykev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:14 PM   #10
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykev View Post
Mine broke at 39,500 miles (out of warranty). It was the clip on the end on the tranny and also below the reservoir tank. On a side note, I did replace the radiator overflow cap prior to the cable breaking because it was causing a drip from the reservoir. Looks like it could be a common issue; perhaps a deflector needs to be fabricated to keep any leakage from landing on the tranny cable. The repairs cost me around $300 at a GM dealer.
I'll try to take a good look at mine tomorrow. Does this show the problematic clip?

showGif.jpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!