SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
Allen227
Allen227 is on a distinguished road

2004 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default saturn l300-2 shuts off when it warms up! HELP!

OK, here goes. I have had it to a garage to check it out The mechanic is a family friend, he suggests that it might be the mass air flow sensor, but I am a bit unsure and it is a pricey part. heres what it is doing. seems to be heat related to me, it seems to run perfect for 20 mins or so. after it is up to operating temp still runs fine, however if I am in city traffic or really getting it on the highway I beleive it runs a tad warmer but still in normal range. It will just die at what ever speed you are at. this kinda sucks. It will not start. there is fuel at the rail, it will squirt to the windshiend when you depress the schrader valve so I suggest it is not a fuel pressure issue. No plug wires or coil wires in this model so I dont see any way to check that the plugs are fireing other than eather which I havent had on hand when it acts up. After it sits about 10 mins or so it cranks right up! in other words after it has cooled down some! if I drive it with the heater wide open it dosent ever get as warm and never dies on me, but I cant drive like that all the time lol. These symptoms dont steer me towards the mass air flow sensor, unless it is possible somthing internally in the sensor is heating up and breaking connection. it is almost all plastic and has constant fresh air running through it so I cant see it getting hot. I have a bronco 2 and had almost the exact same problem ant it was the ignition control moduel. the bronco has one similas to that found on the saturn l300-1. however in the l300-2 there are 2 seperate ignition moduels, a right bank and a left bank and they are also the coil and plug connections all in one. so I dont think just one acting up would cut the car off, but I dont know that for sure. I did disconect one of them while it was running and it hessitated but continued to run.
I really need to figure this out today please every one with any ideas please give me some suggestions! thanks in advance,
Allen

Oh yea this is the 3.0L v6 :-)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Allen227's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Allen227 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Allen227 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: saturn l300-2 shuts off when it warms up! HELP!

Try this with your trusted family mechanic; get out the multimeter and remove the crank position snesor (CPS) next to the oil filter and read the resistance. It should read between 700-1200 ohms. Now leave it boiling water, to replicate the hot engine, and read resistance again. If you read an open, replace it immediately. CPS' are supposed to work in all weather conditions; from freezing Artic subzero to Arizona desert heat. Since engine temps go above 200F+ the cps has the ability to survive hot oil but do fail from heat related breakdowns. Boiling water allows measuring it in near engine conditions. Its the electronic heart beat for the entire EFI system. No cps output = no fuel pump operation, no ignition for spark, and no injector pulses since it supplies the crucial timing signals to turn on the engine computer (ECM). Once cooled sufficiently the cps goes back to work until heat overcomes it again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
treblehook
treblehook will become famous soon enough

Default Re: saturn l300-2 shuts off when it warms up! HELP!

I concur....crankshaft position sensor ...for sure

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to treblehook's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help treblehook reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
treblehook is offline   Reply With Quote