SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2013, 12:40 AM   #61
Nicktheviperman
Advanced Member
Nicktheviperman is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
Default Re: Adding a free AUX to the standard radio / cd receiver in Saturn SL2 (1997)

so i have a 2002 sl1 its the single cd player no tape player its just AM FM and cd. Whats the best way to do the aux mod. I have it apart to realize its not the passonic.......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nicktheviperman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nicktheviperman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nicktheviperman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #62
Lonewolf1966
Lonewolf1966 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Adding a free AUX to the standard radio / cd receiver in Saturn SL2 (1997)

Thanks to Cougarstang for the brilliant car stereo mod. I have the identical model head unit. I followed his directions to the letter. The end result is magnificent! Just as long as I make sure to have the stereo powered down first, turn on my player at a low volume, plug in the audio cable, then turn on the stereo, I avoid the "speaker snap" sound.
The only thing new I could add to this thread deals with using an Android smartphone as your audio source. (I apologize if another poster has already addressed this). Mine is a Galaxy Nexus, specifically. At first I was having the same problems other posters were mentioning about getting audio from everything EXCEPT their smartphone.
After much trial and error I discovered there is a specific order to playing smartphone audio through your modded deck. Here it is:
-Power down the car stereo
-Start playing audio on phone
-Plug in splitter ONLY to phone first
-Then plug in the two stereo cords to the splitter as simultaneously as you can
-Then quickly turn on your stereo
**I'm not sure if it's essential to simultaneously plug the cords into the splitter and quickly power up, but it seems like that way worked every time for me.
I believe the key to get the smartphone audio out is to plug that splitter in first BY ITSELF. Don't ask me why it only works that way, I'm not an Electronics Engineer (but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night!)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lonewolf1966's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lonewolf1966 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lonewolf1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:04 PM   #63
TomTom4049
TomTom4049 is on a distinguished road

Ah yes, my friend asked me to add a AUX input to this Matsu (Panasonic) single CD/no cassette stereo in his 2003 Saturn Vue.

I've dissected it and see some possibilities. There is a small IC made by Mitsubishi that looks promising to tap into. The datasheet info I've gotten is sketchy at best so I'm uncertain as to exactly which two pins are the input. Some bench testing is in order.

I plan to simply interrupt the FM stereo L&R channels with the aux switching jack and input his music-via-smart phone at that point. No need to switch input on the unit, just leave it on FM and plug into the new aux jack. The tuner itself might also be a good place to tie in at it's outputs.

This is a work in progress.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomTom4049's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomTom4049 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomTom4049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 06:10 AM   #64
TomTom4049
TomTom4049 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarstang View Post
Just a quick update: I opened a single din/cd player panasonic unit from a 2000 sl1 and the circuit board does not have anything labeled definitively such as "lch" or "gnd". Everything is alphanumeric, so mimicking this mod would require a schematic or some savvy testing with a multimeter.

After perusing the link to the ion boards, I think I might just pass on modding this unit.

If anyone does this in the future, please chime in.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm working on this same stereo today though I have a slightly different approach. After studying the Mitsubishi audio controller IC in the 21025330 (CQ-JG126ZZ) here is what I plan on doing:

Pins 36 (A -CD) 35 (B -TAPE) 34 (C -TUNER) 33 (D -AUX)
Right Channel Inputs (may actually be the Left channel)

Pins 7 (A -CD) 8 (B -TAPE) 9 (C -TUNER) 10 (D -AUX)
Left Channel Inputs (may actually be the Right channel)
Common ground on PIN 2

Input A appears to be CD
Input B appears to be TAPE
Input C appears to be TUNER PIN 34 (right channel) & PIN 9 (Left Channel)
Input D appears to be AUX

*Although the audio controller IC was built with TAPE and AUX inputs this particular application by Panasonic doesn't make use of those inputs. I'm certain they would work however the attempt to simulate the proper timing and control signals on the data bus would not be easy or inexpensive to engineer. For this reason I elected to use the Tuner input.

Inputs to the audio controller IC are via capacitor(s) in series (according to the example from Mitsubishi) with a 15K resistor which is center tapped via a second resistor to the VREF bus (Pin 22).

For ease of integration it appears the interruption of the Tuner Input for substitution of an AUX source could be useful. This will require using a scalpel or other small blade for cutting the traces. Contacts in a DPDT relay will either reconnect (bridge across) the cut traces, or disconnect them leaving the tuner output going nowhere and connecting the AUX source in its place.

To prevent overloading the inputs the 15K series resistor directly feeding the input pin should probably be retained. The AUX input device (phone, iPod, iPad, etc.) volume control will have to be set accordingly as to not overload and distort the inputs.

Employing the use of a small 12 VDC DPDT relay could handle secondary input switching. When unpowered the relay would allow R & L channels to pass normally into M62419FP PINS 34 & 9 (TUNER INPUTS).

*Use of a latching relay would allow a single normally open pushbutton to be used to both disconnect the tuner & engage the AUX input as well as perform the reverse, each with a single press of the button.

A single on/off switch could enable the relay to disconnect TUNER INPUTS and change over to AUX INPUT via a permanently connected mini stereo headphone plug. With the added relay's 12 volt DC coil unpowered, normal tuner input would be passed on by the relay's normally closed contacts to the tuner inputs of the audio controller. Switching a steady 12 v DC source voltage to the relay coil would disconnect the tuner from the actual tuner input on the audio controller IC and substitute the connections from the AUX cable (in my case) or a mini stereo plug if you prefer.

I plan on performing this mod today and will post the results this afternoon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomTom4049's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomTom4049 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomTom4049 is offline   Reply With Quote