SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 01:53 AM   #41
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to all

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: Adding a free AUX to the standard radio / cd receiver in Saturn SL2 (1997)

Anybody ever try to do this type of mod to a gen 1 radio/cassette player? I have one in m 1993 SW2.

Saturns:
1993 SW2 MT 181,000 hard Boston city miles ("Rozzie")
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:
1966 Corvair Monza convertible
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #42
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Adding a free AUX to the standard radio / cd receiver in Saturn SL2 (1997)

Try KingRex. Gen-1 is relatively easy to do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #43
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

I'm so done with CD's , will the stock tape player with EQ (still has the CD changer option) work the same way?
The single DIN stock tape deck w/o EQ doesn't appear to, unless I'm missing something with it "blown apart" into 4-5 piece's here in front of me.

If anyone knows the pin-outs of the 14pin and the 8pin cables, that's probably what I need...

Failing this I'll just have to get a digital media receiver that also has FM. Yes, there's a stock CD player w/EQ and the AUX port already there but the dumbass wants nearly as much for it as I paid for the SC2 that it'll go into!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #44
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

There are only 2 different pin outs, 1 for any radio without CD changer and 1 for any radio with CD changer. I have posted both of them in this thread. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=148963

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #45
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
There are only 2 different pin outs, 1 for any radio without CD changer and 1 for any radio with CD changer. I have posted both of them in this thread. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=148963
Those look like the pinouts for the radio->car harness which has been posted so many times it's not funny. Has nothing to do with the 14pin cable and 8pin cable from the radio PCB to the tape deck PCB's.

Guess I'll have to tear it apart more and trace the wires from the amp sections output to something that might look like input. On that note, there's a huge difference in size of these ~15wpc amps and the 100wpc amps my home stereo receiver has

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #46
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Internal drawings are an entirely different item. Try googling for it as they are probably posted.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-11-2013, 11:13 PM   #47
5spSC2
5spSC2 is on a distinguished road

I have successfully added aux in to my factory radio (2002 SC2) by tapping into the tuner.

I just posted a how to thread in the S-series Tech forum called "How To: Aux Input '00-'02 (Panasonic radio) for FREE". (15 posts before I can link...I understand the precaution but how inconvenient...)

Now mine is a AM_FM/CD/Tape unit but I suspect you might find the same pinout on your tuner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 5spSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 5spSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
5spSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #48
awilson506
awilson506 will become famous soon enoughawilson506 will become famous soon enough

1998 SL

Has anyone done this mod with just a radio unit. I have a 98 SL that came with just a tuner. I would get an after market but my car would just get broken into again. So I would like to do this mod but it seems like everyone else has the CD or tape player?

R.I.P. 185K 9/17/13

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to awilson506's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help awilson506 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
awilson506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #49
5spSC2
5spSC2 is on a distinguished road

I have not tried this on a radio only unit. If you're comfortable working with small electronics and soldering you can try it yourself. Test the same contact points with some old headphones. Strip off the ground and ground it. Carefully touch one of the two channel wires one of the pins. If you can hear the radio playing, it might work. Do this at your own risk!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 5spSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 5spSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
5spSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #50
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

The internals of the non-EQ unit's are totally different. This mod, as posted, takes advantage of direct line input options from the CD changer line...the units themselves are already wired for an "AUX" input and the mod just change's how it's added.

I haven't tried it yet but I'd bet hard-wireing a tape adapter to the tape deck would work, as well as a hard-wired FM transmitter (not those stupid ones you just plug into the cig lighter with no direct connection to the antenna). Planning on doing this to my SC2, want it more on the lightweight/fun side rather then 50+lb 12" woofer side

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #51
awilson506
awilson506 will become famous soon enoughawilson506 will become famous soon enough

1998 SL

I think I have a Saturn tape deck from a 97 that I can have a look at. I use to have subs and a head unit for this car and the speakers sounded great. But I sold the subs when I moved to the city and then the city stole the head unit from me.

I'm just skeptical about putting anything in the dash that looks attractive including a 14 year old tape deck. The head unit I had my window broken for was only worth about $25

R.I.P. 185K 9/17/13

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help awilson506 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #52
fmctaurus
fmctaurus is a jewel in the roughfmctaurus is a jewel in the roughfmctaurus is a jewel in the roughfmctaurus is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilson506 View Post
Has anyone done this mod with just a radio unit. I have a 98 SL that came with just a tuner. I would get an after market but my car would just get broken into again. So I would like to do this mod but it seems like everyone else has the CD or tape player?
I have. Click here:http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=189665

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fmctaurus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fmctaurus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fmctaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #53
awilson506

1998 SL

^+++ Thanks for that info and post. I'm going to pick up a small soldering iron and try this out.

R.I.P. 185K 9/17/13

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #54
Cougarstang
Cougarstang is a jewel in the roughCougarstang is a jewel in the roughCougarstang is a jewel in the roughCougarstang is a jewel in the rough

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron K. View Post
Any update on this? I have a 2001 SC with the single din CD player like Cougarstang's and would like to add an aux input.
About a week after it stopped working, it started to work again and hasn't cut out since. I haven't figured out why. Suggestions are welcome of course.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cougarstang's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cougarstang reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cougarstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #55
Aaron K.
Aaron K. is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1

Well thanks to Cougarstang's write up and pictures I have successfully added an auxiliary input to the stock CD player my 2001 SC1.

After soldering everything up, I initially went out and tested it with my cellphone and got a ton of static. I was thinking I had an issue with my ground because I had a little trouble soldering those wires for some reason. Took it inside, checked all my connections and everything looked good, but I did add a little more solder to the ground to shore it up a little better. Took it back out and tested it with the little iPod Shuffle I use when I do yard work, and it worked like a champ! I figured great, it was the ground all along! I plug my phone in and I get the same static again. WTF?

I've plugged in my laptop and an iPod Video(?) that I use with the Kenwood HU in my other car, and both worked fine. I haven't had a chance to try another cellphone with it yet. I tried putting the phone in airplane mode, playing music off the phone itself and from Pandora with the same result. My phone always works fine with headphones or any other source I plug it into.

It's just my luck because my phone is the only thing I really planned on plugging into the aux too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Aaron K.'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Aaron K. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Aaron K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #56
fmctaurus
fmctaurus is a jewel in the roughfmctaurus is a jewel in the roughfmctaurus is a jewel in the roughfmctaurus is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL1

The 1st thing I would check is the soldered connections. Also, the jack and plugs used should not be too cheap, or you will have intermittent issues.

Also, you can damage the surface mount resistors by applying too much heat, also causing intermittent issues.

George

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fmctaurus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fmctaurus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fmctaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #57
maksym
maksym is on a distinguished road

I would check the cellphone connector as well. There are might be two things going on - a short in the connector, or the connector's jack is not plugged into the phone or your car all the way in, thereby mixing signal with the ground, or treating your wire as a hands-free. Since we are attaching to CD inputs, it's probably very sensitive to the input signal, with no filtering in between, and amplifies all the noise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to maksym's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help maksym reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
maksym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #58
Aaron K.
Aaron K. is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1

The cable I used to make the auxiliary input is decent quality and the cellphone connector looks good as far as I can tell. The sound is always fine whenever I plug anything else into it.

For now I'm just gonna leave everything as is and keep the iPod in the car for my early morning weekend trips to/from work when there is nothing worth listening to on the radio. I'm gonna be getting a new phone in the next month or so and I'm hoping the new phone fixes the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Aaron K.'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Aaron K. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Aaron K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #59
maksym
maksym is on a distinguished road

Another thing that puts a high-frequency hum into my 'adapter' when playing a sound from my tablet (on Honda though, never tried on Saturn) is charging the tablet via a cigarette plug-type usb power adapter. The moment I unplug the tablet from the usb adapter, the hum goes away.

BTW, this hum almost disappears if I turn treble all the way down - should be even easier on Saturn with EQ. Not good for music, but ok for movies and audio books.

Last edited by maksym; 05-26-2013 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: additon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to maksym's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help maksym reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
maksym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:20 AM   #60
Cougarstang
Cougarstang is a jewel in the roughCougarstang is a jewel in the roughCougarstang is a jewel in the roughCougarstang is a jewel in the rough

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Glad to see it worked out. Also interested to hear what happens with the static issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cougarstang's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cougarstang reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cougarstang is offline   Reply With Quote