SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #21
Jmac00
Jmac00 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Adding a free AUX to the standard radio / cd receiver in Saturn SL2 (1997)

well found this thread....same model radio, he used the M62419FP chip and soldered off that....hmmmm, bit more complicated and more soldering(6points instead of 3). So if anyone has done this another way with less soldering(i hate soldering), send along your info plz...hahaha

here it is in case anyone's interested.
http://www.ionforums.net/phpbb3/view...php?f=2&t=7496

2002 SL1 1.9L/auto SOHC 160,000 KMS (99,500 miles)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jmac00's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jmac00 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jmac00 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #22
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Adding a free AUX to the standard radio / cd receiver in Saturn SL2 (1997)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
well found this thread....same model radio, he used the M62419FP chip and soldered off that....hmmmm, bit more complicated and more soldering(6points instead of 3). So if anyone has done this another way with less soldering(i hate soldering), send along your info plz...hahaha

http://www.ionforums.net/phpbb3/view...php?f=2&t=7496
If you are not into hacking hardware and soldering then the best approach is to go look in the Crutchfield Outlet and buy an aftermarket that fits what you want. There are people selling modded OEM radios on eBay if you go searching.

Last edited by OldNuc; 08-20-2012 at 10:24 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #23
Cougarstang
Cougarstang is a jewel in the roughCougarstang is a jewel in the roughCougarstang is a jewel in the roughCougarstang is a jewel in the rough

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post

Interesting. The 21025330 radio that he speaks of in his 03 ion is the same single din cd player (no cassette) as the one found in the 00-02 sl?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cougarstang's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cougarstang reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cougarstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #24
Cougarstang
Cougarstang is a jewel in the roughCougarstang is a jewel in the roughCougarstang is a jewel in the roughCougarstang is a jewel in the rough

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Just a quick update: I opened a single din/cd player panasonic unit from a 2000 sl1 and the circuit board does not have anything labeled definitively such as "lch" or "gnd". Everything is alphanumeric, so mimicking this mod would require a schematic or some savvy testing with a multimeter.

After perusing the link to the ion boards, I think I might just pass on modding this unit.

If anyone does this in the future, please chime in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Cougarstang reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #25
Cougarstang

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Hi All,

Just an update. I attempted the mod described by AdamWu in the Ion forums thread. I located the proper pads for Pins 19,20,23,24 on the M62419FP. I also located 2 pads that appear to be grounded (verified by checking continuity with pin #2 on the M62419FP chip. I followed the rest of the procedure, using the male to male stereo mini cable (both halves) and merging them with a y adapter.

The result: Each connector works separately. That is, the rear speakers play alone on one cable, and the front speakers play alone on the other. However, if I use the 3.5mm plug y adaptor, there is no sound whatsoever. What could be causing this?

Also, there is a low hum when I run one of the cables alone. If you play loud music it's no big deal, but if you listed to a podcast it's fairly annoying. What could be causing this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #26
Cougarstang

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Let me share my experience for anyone searching this thread in the future:

Once again, I am modifying a single CD unit found in a 2000 sl1 (21025330).
As mentioned above, I went with the modification of the M62419FP chip described by AdamWu on ionforums.net. All credit, of course, goes to him for thinking of this.

I took some pictures to illustrate what this mod entails:

Here is the M62419FP chip, located dead center on the bottom of the main board:

Using a multimeter to test for continuity, I located pads connected to all 4 pins right below capacitors, and located 2 pads that offered <2 ohms resistance when connected to pin#2 (ground) on the M62419FP chip (the multimeter still beeped when checking continuity).

I also checked continuity with the three sections on the audio cable prong. No surprises.

There was just enough room to route the audio cables out the back left. Also pictured is the 3.5mm plug y adapter:

With a hot knife, I cut out a piece of the storage bin through which I have the wires routed:

Quite sleek:

The verdict thus far:

- Since my post above, I reopened the radio and placed some more tape on the board, making sure the wires don't short anything out. The low hum that I spoke of is gone.

- The problem of no audio when using a y-splitter still persists. The radio goes dead silent (even station/cd music) when the y-splitter is connected, regardless of whether an mp3 player is connected to it. That is, if you are listening to the radio and connect the y-splitter to the two cables, the radio cuts out.

- The front and rear channels separately still work. The rear works perfectly fine. The front appears to amplify sound from the radio and it occasionally pops. That is, if you hear static in the background on a low volume level, it gets amplified when you plug in the cable for the front speakers.

For the time being, this is acceptable for listening to podcasts using just the rear speakers. Can anyone with greater electronics experience suggest what may be going wrong in this setup? Something is definitely wrong with the front channel, as the existing audio should not get louder when connecting the front's 3.5mm stereo cable. I am still stumped as to why the y-adapter kills all audio.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-21-2012, 11:06 PM   #27
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I think your grounds are the issue. To keep a consistent sound between the front and rear sets of channels, I'd make sure they share the same grounding point. There is not much current involved here, so contrary to what the person from IonForums.net says, I don't think it is necessary to use nearest grounding points via the grounding pads on the PCB. I'd just solder both grounds (one from each of the plugs) to a single wire that you can connect to an external grounding point such as the chassis of the radio.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 170K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 155K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:59 PM   #28
Cougarstang

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
I think your grounds are the issue. To keep a consistent sound between the front and rear sets of channels, I'd make sure they share the same grounding point. There is not much current involved here, so contrary to what the person from IonForums.net says, I don't think it is necessary to use nearest grounding points via the grounding pads on the PCB. I'd just solder both grounds (one from each of the plugs) to a single wire that you can connect to an external grounding point such as the chassis of the radio.
Very interesting. Would the different grounding points also account for the strange dropping of audio when the y-adapter is connected?

As for soldering both grounds to an external grounding point, what would be optimal in this setup? Would connecting them both to a wire that has a ring terminal connected to a bolt work? If so, would any bolt that holds the radio's frame together work? Alternatively, would it be better to solder this wire to one of the large pads in the corners of the PCB that hold bolt holes in place? These can be seen in one of my pictures above.

Thank you for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2012, 06:35 AM   #29
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Trace the ground trace until you find a point where they both come together on the common ground bus. There is a power supply ground (chassis ground) and a signal ground. The 2 are connected at a single point. You want to connect to the main part of the signal ground. You are working in the signal part of the board and grounding the signal section back into the chassis ground with your 2 wires will make 2 additional signal to chassis ground points and may produce a ground loop. Just trace each of your identified ground points and ground both where they come together.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #30
Cougarstang

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Trace the ground trace until you find a point where they both come together on the common ground bus. There is a power supply ground (chassis ground) and a signal ground. The 2 are connected at a single point. You want to connect to the main part of the signal ground. You are working in the signal part of the board and grounding the signal section back into the chassis ground with your 2 wires will make 2 additional signal to chassis ground points and may produce a ground loop. Just trace each of your identified ground points and ground both where they come together.

Pardon the naive questions.

So the chassis ground and signal ground connect at a location (most likely where the frame of the radio gets bolted into the holes protruding from the main board)? And I want to avoid grounding both wires at this point?

So when we say I want to connect to a signal ground point only, will this be another pad on the board itself? How do I go about locating a point where both of my identified ground points come together? Will this be a single location? Judging by the picture, is there a likely location I should be eyeballing?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #31
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Follow the ground trace you are connected to now and you will see where the individual chip grounds come together for the subsystem you are working in, ground it there. Where signal and chassis grounds tie together is not a good spot as you can end up inducing noise or making a ground loop.

Those amp chips all come to a common ground point, that is the one you want. Depending on the design it may even be the point where the amp signal ground ties to the chassis. I do not have the schematics for these radios and am not sufficiently motivated to go dig them up. Once you have the schematic figuring out where to connect the additional input is not difficult. Delco holds them quite tightly though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2012, 11:15 PM   #32
Cougarstang

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Follow the ground trace you are connected to now and you will see where the individual chip grounds come together for the subsystem you are working in, ground it there. Where signal and chassis grounds tie together is not a good spot as you can end up inducing noise or making a ground loop.

Those amp chips all come to a common ground point, that is the one you want. Depending on the design it may even be the point where the amp signal ground ties to the chassis. I do not have the schematics for these radios and am not sufficiently motivated to go dig them up. Once you have the schematic figuring out where to connect the additional input is not difficult. Delco holds them quite tightly though.
What's the best way of following the ground trace to the common ground point? Am I starting with one of the 2 current ground pads and testing continuity with other pads one-by-one? If so, how do I know I've identified the common ground point? To me it seems like anything in the connected via the signal ground route should pass continuity.

Once again, apologies for the naive questions. I appreciate the insightful thoughts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #33
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarstang View Post
What's the best way of following the ground trace to the common ground point? Am I starting with one of the 2 current ground pads and testing continuity with other pads one-by-one? If so, how do I know I've identified the common ground point? To me it seems like anything in the connected via the signal ground route should pass continuity.

Once again, apologies for the naive questions. I appreciate the insightful thoughts.
I would start at where the ground lead from the main harness connects to the PCB.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 170K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 155K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:52 PM   #34
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Look at the ground you are using and follow the trace. All of the grounds for the subsystem will end up at a common point, that is what you are looking for.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #35
Cougarstang

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
I would start at where the ground lead from the main harness connects to the PCB.
I assume this would be the terminal that connects to the black wire on the main harness?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #36
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Most likely. Check with ohmmeter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #37
Cougarstang

2006 ION-2 Sedan

I opened up the radio again this weekend and followed your advice. As far as I could tell, both the Toshiba 1388 and NEC D17017GF chips (which are both amplified) ground to chassis almost immediately and not a subsystem. In particular, the 1388 chip has about 4 ground pins that are not far from where the ground lead from the main harness connects to the PCB. Long story short, I could not locate any common ground point for the chips' subsystem, so I ended up grounding both audio cables to a nearby pad that connects to the ground lead from the main harness.

The result: exceeded expectations. Not only do all 4 speakers work with any 3.5mm audio source, it works better than the solution outlined in the beginning of this thread for earlier radios. There is no need for a clear radio station or silent cd, as when an mp3 player is connected to the 3.5mm y-cable, any other output from the radio or cd player is muted. This is not true if you connect just one of the audio cables (without the y-adapter hooked up). I don't know why this is true, but it's likely related to the problem I outlined above when everything would mute if the y-cable is connected. Now that I'm grounded properly (I assume), this is a boon because the muted output eliminates the need to create silence.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's help. To pay it forward, I'll try to make it clear for anyone searching the thread in the future. Repeating my picture above, I labeled (from left to right in black ink) pads 19, 20, 23, and 24, which connect to the corresponding pins on the M62419FP pictured above them. On the left side of the chip: 19 is the third leg from the bottom (1ch REAR, left speaker?) and 20 is the second from the bottom (1ch FRONT, left speaker?). On the right: 24 is the third leg from the bottom (2ch REAR, right speaker?) and 23 is the second from the bottom (2ch FRONT, right speaker?). I write left/right speaker with a question mark because I haven't verified which one is which, but it sounds right thus far.

If you peruse the pictures I posted earlier, you'll see which parts of the 3.5mm audio cables I soldered to each pad. White is left channel, red is right channel. Per the last few posts, I changed the separate grounds to share chassis ground at the following point:

My ground wire was rather long because I wanted to be able to easily desolder and connect to the other side of the board if I had to, but it was unnecessary since this worked on the first shot. In the end I ended up snaking most of the wires out through the corner so there's a minimal amount touching the board.

So far so good. I think this is a long term solution.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #38
Cougarstang

2006 ION-2 Sedan

For the sake of correct information for those searching this in the future, I verified which legs on the M62419FP are for left and right channels using a laptop. I was correct in what I guessed. Pins 19 and 20 are for left speakers, and pins 23 and 24 are for right speakers. Specifically, Pin 19 is for rear left, pin 20 is for front left, pin 23 is for front right, and pin 24 is for rear right.

Hope this helps anyone else looking to mod their single cd unit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #39
Cougarstang

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Well back to the drawing board. About 2 weeks later it stopped working suddenly. It still works if I plug in the front or rear channel separately, however it won't work with the y-adapter. It stopped working in the middle of a podcast.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #40
Aaron K.
Aaron K. is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1

Any update on this? I have a 2001 SC with the single din CD player like Cougarstang's and would like to add an aux input.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Aaron K.'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Aaron K. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Aaron K. is offline   Reply With Quote