SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
Nightwalker
Nightwalker is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Code P0496 - Evap system error

So yeah, my Astra started to sound like death when the A/C was turned on, but ok with it off.

I just let it be due to a lack of free time at the moment, but my check engine light came on this morning.

A quick scan revealed code P0496 - "Evaporative Emission System High Purge Flow"

Pretty much some valve is going crazy and the car isn't too happy.

Does any one have a diagram of where the evap system components (or better yet, the valve in question) are located under the hood? Thanks.

My audio system thread, how to replace speakers: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137456

2008 Astra 3 door XR, 5-speed MT Black Sapphire, custom audio system

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nightwalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nightwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! will become famous soon enoughAstra La Vista! will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Code P0496 - Evap system error

No diagram, but according to my Haynes:

"On 1.4, 1.6, and 1.8 litre Z18XER (ours) engines, the purge valve is mounted on the inlet manifold (see illustration)."

Unfortunately, the illustration has the caption "Typical purge valve location" and I'm nowhere near my car so I can't tell if the pic matches what is under the hood. If I had to guess, it would be near the serpentine belt end. But by definition, the valve is a sort of solenoid, which means it should have an electrical connector as well as two vapour hoses attached to it. That should make it easier to spot. One of those hoses should connect to the charcoal cannister, which is supposedly located behind the R/F wheel fender liner near the bottom door hinge.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
Nightwalker

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-2 Sedan

Awesome, thank you so much. I'll check it out as soon as I get the chance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Nightwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
Nightwalker

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-2 Sedan

Alright, I jumped under the hood, and I believe that I found the solenoid.

Its on the top of the intake manifold, passenger side like you said. Two hoses (one on each side) and a wire harness on the front of it.

I'm just not 100% sure that it is the correct valve (although I am about 99% sure it is). It has a red w/blue stripe and brown w/white stripe wire harness connected to it.
I found an ecotec forum that had a member with the same problem, and a guy on that form said that the valve had a red/blue wire going to it. My issue about that is not only was it a cobalt, but it had the 2.2L ecotec.

Either way, the P/N for the cobalt's valve is 12597567. I tried to run a search for that number for saturns, and nothing came up for the Astra, just the Aura and Vue.

Any ideas on the part number?

How fun, my warranty expired TWO MILES after this happened

My audio system thread, how to replace speakers: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137456

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #5
tallNewfie
tallNewfie is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE

It seems a lot of people have the code readers for their cars, but how do you know what the code means once you get it? Is there an online database or a manual or something?

I plan on getting one when my car gets near the end of it's warranty, so forgive me for being a nube.

~~Bryan~~

2009 Astra XE - manual, wired FM mod
2001 SC2 - manual, sunroof (retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tallNewfie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tallNewfie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tallNewfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #6
FooBag
FooBag is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
Alright, I jumped under the hood, and I believe that I found the solenoid.

Its on the top of the intake manifold, passenger side like you said. Two hoses (one on each side) and a wire harness on the front of it.

I'm just not 100% sure that it is the correct valve (although I am about 99% sure it is). It has a red w/blue stripe and brown w/white stripe wire harness connected to it.
I found an ecotec forum that had a member with the same problem, and a guy on that form said that the valve had a red/blue wire going to it. My issue about that is not only was it a cobalt, but it had the 2.2L ecotec.

Either way, the P/N for the cobalt's valve is 12597567. I tried to run a search for that number for saturns, and nothing came up for the Astra, just the Aura and Vue.

Any ideas on the part number?

How fun, my warranty expired TWO MILES after this happened
My g/f is out of town in the Astra, so I can't take a look at it to confirm you are looking at the right part. Perhaps you can take a picture? I would place very high odds on the Cobalt evap solenoid being different than the Astra one. Most GM parts are stamped with the part number on them.

Reading on the P0496 code, I don't know for certain that the solenoid on the manifold is your problem. On my Impala and other GM vehicles, this code is set when the EVAP canister valve, normally located by the fuel fill neck. Perhaps Astra La Vista can take a look in his Haynes manual to see if the Astra has this valve.

2008 Astra XR3
2012 Silverado Crew Cab

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FooBag's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FooBag reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FooBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
Nightwalker

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallNewfie View Post
It seems a lot of people have the code readers for their cars, but how do you know what the code means once you get it? Is there an online database or a manual or something?
Most codes are universal, but there are online databases for the codes.

As for pictures, here ya go:

In the engine and unhooked:

Images out of the car:

Numbers on it are:

On the face of it (says Bosch, made in Germany):
0 280 142 430
FGP 55 353 802

The side has:
>CuFe<
>PA66-GF25<

I'm leaning toward it being the valve because I believe it leaks.
I unhooked the 2-wire connector and the left side (connected to the evap. canister) pipe. When I started the car, the valve was still creating a vacuum, which points toward it being the valve. It shouldn't create a vacuum at all.

I know the Astra had an issue with the gas tank filler neck that would throw a code, but I couldn't dig up what code that would set.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #8
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! will become famous soon enoughAstra La Vista! will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooBag View Post
Perhaps Astra La Vista can take a look in his Haynes manual to see if the Astra has this valve.
Nothing mentioned. It is, after all, just a Haynes.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:42 AM   #9
FooBag
FooBag is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
I'm leaning toward it being the valve because I believe it leaks.
I unhooked the 2-wire connector and the left side (connected to the evap. canister) pipe. When I started the car, the valve was still creating a vacuum, which points toward it being the valve. It shouldn't create a vacuum at all.
Your logic sounds good, but one other thing to check is that perhaps the valve is normally open and only closes when commanded through the wiring? Seems like it would be the opposite, but it's worth checking before buying the wrong part.

2008 Astra XR3
2012 Silverado Crew Cab

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FooBag's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FooBag reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FooBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:17 AM   #10
Nightwalker

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-2 Sedan

I didn't exactly come up with that test on my own, the process is in an FSM for another GM vehicle, and the system works the same.

I also checked if the valve could hold a vacuum, which it can't, so it does in fact leak, pointing me toward it being truly defective.

Now, if the valve alone is the only problem or if there is something else busted too, I have no idea. I'm going to just get a new valve, and go from there. I believe its no more than $40, and thats the dealership price!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #11
Nightwalker

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-2 Sedan

I ran by the dealership today. As expected, it wasn't in stock.

Good thing, because they wanted nearly $110 for the damned thing!
Talk about price gouging.

I did get the P/N, its 55562350 if anyone cares.
I found it for about $55 from a website on the net, so I think they'll get my business.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2010, 10:51 AM   #12
JAC
JAC is on a distinguished road

You said your warranty was expired, but know that emissions systems components are warranted longer than the 3yr/36,000 standard warranty. Not sure how long but it is significantly longer. You will probably have to argue with the dealer, but they should fix it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JAC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JAC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:17 AM   #13
Nightwalker

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-2 Sedan

Yes, some parts are, but not the valve in question. The Astra's owner manual has a list of things covered by different warranties, and the valve isn't listed under the emission section.

If this doesn't fix the problem, I will take it to the dealership.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #14
Nightwalker

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-2 Sedan

Just to update you all, I got the valve in, swapped it out and put about 100 miles on the car. The code cleared itself and hasn't come on since. So I'm pretty sure that was the issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2010, 10:19 PM   #15
SCM381
SCM381 is on a distinguished road

What website are you finding these parts on? I'm having a hard time finding them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SCM381's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SCM381 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SCM381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:37 PM   #16
MoparNut
Advanced Member
MoparNut will become famous soon enough

Nightwalker, you said your car sounded 'like death' with the a/c on. What kind of noise, exactly? If it is a screeeching or squealing noise, have you had the revised generator pulley installed?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MoparNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MoparNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MoparNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:28 PM   #17
Nightwalker

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM381 View Post
What website are you finding these parts on? I'm having a hard time finding them.
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/
I didn't browse for the part, I just put in the part number and hit search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparNut View Post
Nightwalker, you said your car sounded 'like death' with the a/c on. What kind of noise, exactly? If it is a screeeching or squealing noise, have you had the revised generator pulley installed?
Well, after getting the valve replaced, I was able to verify that I do in fact also need to get the new pulley.

I've apparently needed one for quite a while, I just figured the horrid noise it made was normal (as considering it's been there a while) and it had no effect on performance.

With the valve going bad, the car would idle rough, and combined with the faulty pulley, it was just amplified.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-25-2010, 09:45 PM   #18
SCM381
SCM381 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I didn't browse for the part, I just put in the part number and hit search.

Thank you very much!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SCM381's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SCM381 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SCM381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #19
red86
red86 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I just received this exact code today, but my engine will actually shut off while idling at a full stop. If i put the Astra back into park and crank it again then it'll start right back up. Any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to red86's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help red86 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
red86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #20
vasy
Advanced Member
vasy is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by red86 View Post
I just received this exact code today, but my engine will actually shut off while idling at a full stop. If i put the Astra back into park and crank it again then it'll start right back up. Any ideas?
Got the same code as well about a week ago.
Can did stall once for no reason and had problems starting a time or two.

Thanks to Nightwalker I found the correct part number, just could not find it for $55, ended up purchasing it from Amazon for $70. Did the swap on Sunday. I cleared the code and so far in two days it did not come back.
Hope it stays away

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote