SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
born again
born again is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Default 2.2 Liter 4 Cylinder Engine Replacement

I just completed installing a used (135,000 km 2001) engine in my now 281,000 km car. The old one had low compression on cylinder No.4 and a rod knock. A couple of tips for anyone who wants to try this:
- The engine can come out the top. For the manual transmission you need to remove the transmission mounts, crankshaft pulley, serpentine belt tensioner, alternator, and AC compressor to make enough room to clear the flywheel and clutch. The transmission can be jacked up a bit to open some clearance at the top and the TX can be pushed to the left side of the car. For ATX you need to remove the converter bolts. The manual says to remove the starter for access to these or you could drop the oil pan. The starter is held in with Torx head bolts. The converter bolts have very low heads and are Locktited in so they are easy to damage.
- The hood doesn't need to be removed. It opens up almost vertical. I tied a rope to the latch and lead it over the roof and tied it to the trunk latch above the rear bumper (trunk open).
- The engine mounts for the manual and auto trans cars look the same but they are actually different. The auto TX car has the engine about 1-1/2" farther back.
- If the slave cylinder for clutch release is OK then don't mess with it. The three bolts holding it in place have shallow T30 recesses and are threadlocked in place. The previous mechanic who replaced the clutch had stripped these out installing them. While I had a new slave cylinder, I could not get these out and just left the old one in.
- The bleeder screw for the slave cylinder has the same problem as for the wheel cylinders on the rear drum brakes - steel bleeders in an aluminum body. The resultant corrosion is a strong as super glue. I purchased and installed a new hose. Best to just leave well enough alone and don't open the hydraulic system to the air.
- When you buy a used engine look it over very carefully for problems. I had an engine that was mated to an automatic transmission to install in a manual trans car. To get the torque converter bolts out I removed the oil pan. It was a bit dirty so I cleaned it out well. I discovered a small crack in the bottom from it being dragged over a rock or by somebody jacking it without a wood block. This definitely would have leaked. I used my old oil pan.

The new engine runs very well. The power doesn't seem any different, but it is definitely smoother and quieter and seems to use less fuel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
dan7
dan7 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2.2 Liter 4 Cylinder Engine Replacement

Good to read of your successful engine replacement. Too bad you're upwards from my location or I'd offer to buy the core.

Did you take pics of the R/R process. If so consider posting them.

I may be looking at such an action in the future, but am having little success in finding a used engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dan7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dan7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
born again

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I did take some pictures. But I have been stumped by the photo upload process. The help refers to a phantom BROWSE button that I don't see. Any advice?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-11-2010, 06:36 AM   #4
dan7
dan7 is on a distinguished road

No advice at this time on photo posting, but perhaps someone can assist.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dan7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dan7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:14 AM   #5
Robman
Advanced Member
Robman will become famous soon enoughRobman will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

It appears that Chuck has disabled the photo posting capability of the forum. I suggest using http://www.tinypic.com they are suitable and have more features for resizing and editing pictures and video.

Rob
2001 Turbo L200
1997 F150 XLT
1985 Range Rover Classic
1999 Yamaha Blaster YFS200

Do It Yourself

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Robman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Robman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Robman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:23 PM   #6
born again

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Let's try this-

Last edited by born again; 09-15-2010 at 11:28 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-15-2010, 11:33 PM   #7
born again

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Update

On Tuesday the engine began making "thrashing" noises from the timing chain area. I pulled out the TC tensioner and it was stuck in the fully retracted position. I pulled it apart and cleaned out some hard organic type black deposits from the cylinder bore. Put it back in again and it was back to normal. I think the Auto-RX I put in the engine when I installed it freed the tensioner up enough that it moved to retracted when the engine shut down, then it jammed in that position when re-started.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!