SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 09:39 PM   #1
cmswq3
cmswq3 is on a distinguished road

Default Changing / Replacing Serpentine Belt

Well it appears that when you have one problem, a million more come in behind it. So now today my belt starts screeching at me until it warms up. So I have changed millions of belts but never on a saturn. I hear its easy though, also the tensioner was replaced 2 years ago do I need to replace this again?

So just some simple instructions to give me an idea how my weekend will go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cmswq3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cmswq3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2003, 10:55 PM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Tensioner is probably fine. To replace the belt...the "easiest" way. Jack up the car and remove the passenger side wheel and inner splash shield. You will now be able to see the bolt that runs through the tensioner's pulley. Place a box end wrench (15mm or 9/16 will do) and turn the bolt as if you were trying to TIGHTEN it. The tensioner arm will move and release pressure on the belt, with the tension released (wrench held in place) slip the belt off just ONE pulley, you can now release the wrench and remove the belt. Route the new belt in place according to the diagram on the radiator support under the hood saving the CRANKSHAFT pulley for last. Release the tensioner pressure as you did before as FAR AS POSSIBLE, then slide the belt over the crankshaft pulley and slowly release the tensioner. Check to make sure it has not slipped off...it should be fitting tightly if as is well. Start car to confirm proper function. Reinstall splash shield and tire/wheel..you're done. Expect about a 30 minute job for a first timer, ten minutes tops for old hands. Hardest part is keeping the new belt in place while trying to get it over the last pulley and release the tension. There is a way to "cheat" if you have a "double box end wrench". Run a length of rope through the end you won't be using on the bolt. Turn the other end on the tensioner bolt as described FROM ABOVE to release the tension, and then tie the rope to the hood bumper or radiator support to hold the wrench/ tensioner in the released position while you remove/install the bolt. Then untie the rope and release the tensioner one the new belt's in place.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-29-2003, 07:16 AM   #3
BlackBirdRacing
Advanced Member
BlackBirdRacing is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

I just get at it from the top.
It's harder to do that way but I'm used to it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BlackBirdRacing's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BlackBirdRacing reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-29-2003, 07:55 AM   #4
Mark G
Mark G is on a distinguished road

I have replaced it from the top and from the wheel well, and the wheel well is much easier.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mark G's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mark G reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-29-2003, 08:41 AM   #5
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Wolf's Comment:
Quote:
Expect about a 30 minute job for a first timer, ten minutes tops for old hands.
And one hour for Luke..LOL

> 95 SL 2 = 649,619 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 4/19/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable <

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-29-2003, 08:59 AM   #6
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

changing the serpentine belt on the s-series is easy. wait til the engine is cold and reach in an use a 14(?)mm wrench on the tensioner to create some slack then slide off the old belt and install the new belt. one i did this at the drag strip when i swapped the regular belt for the short belt than bypasses the a/c. btw no, it wasn't worth it. saturns a/c pulley spins free enough when it's off to not make a huge diff.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-30-2003, 10:29 AM   #7
irish56
Advanced Member
irish56 has a spectacular aura aboutirish56 has a spectacular aura aboutirish56 has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL2
Default Get a buddy to help!

Wolfman said a mouthful:

"Hardest part is keeping the new belt in place while trying to get it over the last pulley and release the tension."

You can do this job by yourself, but it will go much faster and you'll swear a lot less if you have a buddy to stand by the car and make sure the belt stays wrapped around the upper pulleys while you route it around the lower pulleys from the wheel well, then release the tension. I've done this job both ways (on the 95 SL1 and the 98 SL2) and it went MUCH faster with a helper.

Incidentally, this should be a one-beer or one-Whopper job for the helper -- he doesn't even have to get his hands dirty.

(back to lurk mode)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to irish56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help irish56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread