SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 08-28-2010, 01:11 AM   #1
thrshr
thrshr is on a distinguished road

Wrench **Write up** Eibach springs, drilled and slotted rotors.

This is my first write up so keep that in mind if I leave some stuff out, just ask………
First off, some before pictures.

The Goods…..

Jack the car up. And if you don’t have shade, make your own like I did…

Take the rear wheel off first.

This is what you will be looking at after taking the wheel off.

Remove the Caliper…..

I used a cut coat hanger to hang the caliper out of the way for the rest of the brake removal….

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thrshr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thrshr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thrshr is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2010, 01:12 AM   #2
thrshr

Default Re: **Write up** Eibach springs, drilled and slotted rotors.

As you can see in this picture there are two bolts that hold the caliper bracket on.

The smaller bolts are for the caliper, the pink colored bolts hold the bracket on. In this pic you also see the braket off the car.

To remove the rotors, there are these retainer washers. I think they are from the assembly line to keep the rotor from falling off.

This is what you will see now that the brakes are off the rear….

Since I am doing springs also, here is where we take a slight detour if you are only reading this for the brakes…….

This is the bolt you need to remove to allow the rear arm to swing down. (it’s a 18mm BTW)

Helpful tip………jack up the bottom of the arm like this

Using a pry bar wiggle the arm and get the bolt out. See above photo….
Lower the jack and will allow the arm to fall with the tension of the spring pushing it down..

Put your foot on the end of the arm and push down, pull the spring out.

This is a comparison…

Do the same thing and put the new spring in…….. Clue, there is something wrong in this photo, only a few will notice it. I will admit it later……
I used the jack to compress the spring lined the hole back up shimmy and wiggle to get the hole lined up. Just slide the new Rotor on. Like so…..
Reinstall the bracket for the caliper, at this time you also put the pads in…..This is the infamous piston on the rear caliper…
This is what I used to screw it in CLOCKWISE… [IMG]http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/thrshr68/2007%20Aura/100_2962.jpg[/IMG

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help thrshr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2010, 01:33 AM   #3
thrshr

After putting the bolts back into the calipers this is what it will look like.
Put the wheel back on…….
Now moving to the front…
Take the wheel off etc. remove the calipers first…

Next, just like the rears, take the front bracket off that attaches to the spindle these are colored green. 15mm I believe.

Now next is the sway bar end link……… I found it easier to remove the 18mm nut with tension on the sway bar, then jack up the spindle to relieve pressure off the rod. See pics below.

This is the method using the jack to get pressure on and off of the end link..

The brake line is attached to a bracket pictured here, remove it..

From the top(under the hood) I removed the 3 nuts that hold the strut to the top mount.

This is the bolts that hold the strut to the spindle…

They are 18mm BTW. Remove the bracket that is attached …

Then hammer the bolt out, it is pressed in like wheel studs on drums….

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2010, 01:34 AM   #4
thrshr

The struts will pull out from the bottom easily and you will see this.

Use the strut compressor tool that you rented from Oreily’s or AutoZone… remove the strut nut to remove the “hat”

Compress the Eibach spring

Slide it over the strut assembly. And re-attach the same order you removed it in. tighten the strut nut. Release the spring compressor tool and re install the strut in the opposite order. While I was doing this I also did the resonator bong delete and dropped in the K&N. I hope this helped somebody and wasn’t too terribly long

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2010, 01:38 AM   #5
thrshr

Oh and I also had it aligned today, did not have time for post pics yet, but are coming tomorrow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2010, 01:55 AM   #6
thrshr

I snapped a couple at my parents place today before the alignment...
Enjoy,

The actual after shots will still come tomorrow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2010, 04:50 AM   #7
99SL2_Modder
99SL2_Modder is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR

lol @ rear springs being upside down.

Looks good, but I wanna see the H&R's. I like the stock rake the car has.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99SL2_Modder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99SL2_Modder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99SL2_Modder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #8
thrshr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99SL2_Modder View Post
lol @ rear springs being upside down.

Looks good, but I wanna see the H&R's. I like the stock rake the car has.
The funny thing is the fronts were used for the backs.... I dod not realize this till the backs were buttoned up and on the ground, and the front was apart. so when I thought I was almost done, basically had to start over. switched them around...... so the pic where i said something was wrong, the front spring is on the back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
99SL2_Modder
99SL2_Modder is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrshr View Post
The funny thing is the fronts were used for the backs.... I dod not realize this till the backs were buttoned up and on the ground, and the front was apart. so when I thought I was almost done, basically had to start over. switched them around...... so the pic where i said something was wrong, the front spring is on the back.
I knew something was up with the spring. It looked upside down, but now I see it's a front.

Don't worry, we've been there before. I did it with my old H&R Sports on my old SL2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99SL2_Modder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99SL2_Modder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99SL2_Modder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:44 AM   #10
SaturnXE
SaturnXE is on a distinguished road

I 'd like to thank you for this great write up. I have to do my rear brakes next week and this will be the first time i ever did it on a GM so u definitely made my life easier. BTW im just surprised how easy it is to install the rear springs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnXE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnXE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnXE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:53 PM   #11
thrshr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnXE View Post
I 'd like to thank you for this great write up. I have to do my rear brakes next week and this will be the first time i ever did it on a GM so u definitely made my life easier. BTW im just surprised how easy it is to install the rear springs.
To be honest, when you unbolt that arm, it swings down then press maybe another 3 inches with your foot and if you use your foot, you will have both hands free to reach in, slips right out, no tension. BTW thanks for the kudos, its my first write up

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #12
AuraXR_Mila
AuraXR_Mila is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I've stumbled upon your blog or post while looking to do the exact same work on my 2007 Saturn Aura XR. I definitely want to do the job myself since I haven't found a single place where they'd be willing to install the Eibach springs for anything less than 95/wheel. I also bought drilled and slotted rotors on ebay with ceramic pads that look identical to what you got. I have always loved cars and wanted to work on them myself but feel quite intimidated so any advice or details/help on how to get the job done would be greatly appreciated.

I have also noticed that you have not logged in in ages. If I receive no reply I will assume you have stopped posting.

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraXR_Mila's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraXR_Mila reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraXR_Mila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #13
whiteshadow
whiteshadow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraXR_Mila View Post
Hello,

I've stumbled upon your blog or post while looking to do the exact same work on my 2007 Saturn Aura XR. I definitely want to do the job myself since I haven't found a single place where they'd be willing to install the Eibach springs for anything less than 95/wheel. I also bought drilled and slotted rotors on ebay with ceramic pads that look identical to what you got. I have always loved cars and wanted to work on them myself but feel quite intimidated so any advice or details/help on how to get the job done would be greatly appreciated.

I have also noticed that you have not logged in in ages. If I receive no reply I will assume you have stopped posting.

Thanks!
send the ebay brakes back. they are CRAP and the rotors will crack. complete junk. get real brakes or leave the OEM ones alone.

07 aura xr
98 explorer 5.0
93 miata, not stock
77 f150

im not nice

number of times ban.T

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to whiteshadow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help whiteshadow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
whiteshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:18 AM   #14
jsantos2769
jsantos2769 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

I know this thread is old, but do you have problems.with the front struts bottoming out?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jsantos2769's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jsantos2769 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jsantos2769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #15
mbruneaux
mbruneaux is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

POST RESURRECTION!!!!! What is the ride/handling difference with these springs?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mbruneaux's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mbruneaux reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mbruneaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:39 AM   #16
thrshr

Thumbs Up Re: **Write up** Eibach springs, drilled and slotted rotors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbruneaux View Post
POST RESURRECTION!!!!! What is the ride/handling difference with these springs?
Post resurrection

Car handled great, stopped great, the ride quality was top notch, definitely made me a believer in eibach. The tranny was slipping and I had GM install another one under power train warranty. Then traded it in. This was my first write up and if it helped some of you out there then I feel it was a success

REWARD EXCELLENCE!