SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
Grenjar
Grenjar is on a distinguished road

Default 01 SC1 High Idle Issue

Hey,

About 6 months ago when I purchased my 01 SC1 I noticed that it was idling high (ranging from 1500 to 2500rpm) while in neutral or when clutch was engaged. I took it to a shop and they said that the TPS sensor wasn't making a good connection. The problem appeared to be rectified for a while. Recently it has been doing the same thing. Rather then take the car in to a mechanic to fix I would like to take this sensor out, clean, and re-seat it. My problem is that I am unable to locate any Saturn engine layout diagrams so that I may locate this sensor.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Grenjar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Grenjar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Grenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 01 SC1 High Idle Issue

The tps is opposite the throttle lever holding the throttle cable onto the throttle body. The throttle body is the first object on the engine that the air intake tubing is connected to. Remove the intake air tubing to expose the throttle body, have someone sit inside and press the gas pedal several times so you can see the throttle operate as it opens and closes the throttle plate. Remove the throttle body for better access to the tps mounted on one side. Two electrical connections; one for the tps, the other for the idle air control valve. Tps' are replaceable. The quick test for a faulty tps is when the idle remains high, shut off the engine and restart it; the idle returning without touching the gas pedal is one indication of a faulty tps.

If you never cleaned the throttle body this would be the time to clean it with throttle body cleaner and some rags.

Search threads for pictures of others doing this. A senior member, Wolfman has many pictures identifying many parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...ations/cat/500

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

Last edited by alordofchaos; 08-27-2010 at 10:20 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:02 AM   #4
harley2003
harley2003 has a spectacular aura aboutharley2003 has a spectacular aura aboutharley2003 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1

I would replace the intake manifold gasket if it has never been replaced they all go bad.

2013 Hyundai Sonata new
2003 Harley Davidson FXDWG wide glide.
2015 Hyundai accent hachback

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to harley2003's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help harley2003 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
harley2003 is offline   Reply With Quote