SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2
Default to all those who have condensation in their headlights.....

especially the owners of 2001-2002 sc2's. mine is a 2001 sc2. i had this problem many times. anyway, i replaced my driver's side light pod a year ago because of this problem, & just the other day i seen some light fog in it. nothing abnormal, but i decided to remove both lights & silicone around the seams where they always leak just for preventative maintenance so i'm not doing this in the winter. anyway after driving the car today & then parking it i seen a little plastic tab inside the headlight pod along with some more fog. it's shiny on one side like the light's reflector color. i determined this was part of the hole where the turn signal bulb presses into the headlight. it seems like one of those little tabs snapped off causing poor sealing between the bulb socket gasket & light housing body causing a leak there. this headlight never looked normal since i bought it as it from the get go had some tiny plastic bits rolling around in the housing & the 2 mounting tabs on top where the screws go through were drilled out & gouged open wider like someone tampered with it. maybe it was returned before & they shipped me a defective unit. anyway, the light is not even a year old & i'm trying to get credit for it & a new replacement shipped. i got it from get saturn parts.

just though i would post this piece of helpfull info since this problem is so common on these cars. many people like myself just assume it's always where the light halfs are glued together which is a good starting point to look for trouble, but don't forget to check out the light housing sockets for damage. they can easily leak there as well.........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2
Default Re: to all those who have condensation in their headlights.....

get saturn parts is supposed to warrany parts for 12 months. this light is around 8 months old. they are really dragging their feet to answer me about the warranty. i have waited all day today with no replys. just for the hell of it i inquired about the price on a new one if i were to buy it & they quoted me a price about 100.00 more for the light than i paid for it last october. what's up with them?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-25-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsctwo View Post
just for the hell of it i inquired about the price on a new one if i were to buy it & they quoted me a price about 100.00 more for the light than i paid for it last october. what's up with them?
I think that's what happens when the GM warehouse starts running low on OEM parts?

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by off-track View Post
I think that's what happens when the GM warehouse starts running low on OEM parts?
well it still says $169.00 for the light on their site.
i found a place near me in cincinnati which sells oem parts & they have it for $149.00. i want to wait to see if they will warranty the light, but they said since they are running out of parts they might not. doesn't that suck?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-25-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
well it still says $169.00 for the light on their site.
i found a place near me in cincinnati which sells oem parts & they have it for $149.00. i want to wait to see if they will warranty the light, but they said since they are running out of parts they might not. doesn't that suck?
Sure does!! But I'm afraid that's what we all have to look forward to? As an alternative I see that RA has some for ~$94 but I'd bet they're just some Chinese knock-offs with NO mention of any warranty.

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-25-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Body parts are the first to go out of stock. The 94$ light housings are imports from China.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Sure does!! But I'm afraid that's what we all have to look forward to? As an alternative I see that RA has some for ~$94 but I'd bet they're just some Chinese knock-offs with NO mention of any warranty.
no chinese crap on this car! it's all factory just like in the beginning. there's factory lights still out there & i will get one unless they warranty the other one which is not even 12 months old. it's worth trying....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-25-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
off-track
Master Member

1997 SL2

Quote:
no chinese crap on this car! it's all factory just like in the beginning. there's factory lights still out there & i will get one unless they warranty the other one which is not even 12 months old. it's worth trying....
Hear you, and feel the same but.. Even the last OEM trans filter I got from the dealer (just before they folded) was stamped "Made in China".

Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2010, 08:43 AM   #9
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Hear you, and feel the same but.. Even the last OEM trans filter I got from the dealer (just before they folded) was stamped "Made in China".
well maybe some parts were made there all along. as long as they are the same parts & look the same & fit the same who cares in that situation? the last thing i want is a cheap chinese knock-off headlight on one sside & a factory one on the other side with obvious differences. i would be dismayed...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2010, 08:49 AM   #10
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

nope the *******s won't warranty the light. it's a new paid one for me then. i'm surprised with all the trouble with these lights over the years they didn't come out with a better replacement or the aftermarket didn't climb on the bandwagon in that respect...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!