SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
emr131
emr131 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
Default More fun with the EGR valve

I know, I know. There are a thousand of these posts. Well here is one more.

For a fe months now I have been trying to resolve an EGR valve related problem. Like a few others, the vehicle will not rev past 4k RPM. It also seems to lack power and idles rough. Originally the vehicle was completely unreliable. After replacing the valve the first time the car behaved better but still had the 4k issue and lack of power. This made me think the remaining problem was exhaust/compression/vacuum leak/some other non EGR problem.

Last weekend in one final bid to keep this Saturn from breaking my bank, I tried blocking the valve and that instantly cures the problem.

I have since replaced the valve 3 times from junkyard parts. I have also replaced the solenoid? that the vacuum hose to the valve is going to. I have hollowed out my cat in case it was an exhaust issue.

What now? It is definitely EGR related as bypassing it causes the car to function normally. The ECTS and O2 sensor were replaced last year. The car is not throwing any codes.

Now here is an interesting note (probably unrelated): when I thought it might be fuel pressure related, I pulled the fuel pump fuse and started the car... the engine would not die. Sure it idled really rough, but it still revved up and came back to idle. I let it idle for a good 5 minutes before finally romping on the gas and caused it to stall. It then started up again!!?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emr131's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emr131 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emr131 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
1996SL11.9L
1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1
Default Re: More fun with the EGR valve

take the Cat off and put a test pipe in its place and see if it cures it. If it does replace the CAT it is getting clogged and the back pressure it is putting on the system is effecting your egr system. (when you block off the egr it runs normal)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SL11.9L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SL11.9L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SL11.9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
emr131

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996SL11.9L View Post
take the Cat off and put a test pipe in its place and see if it cures it. If it does replace the CAT it is getting clogged and the back pressure it is putting on the system is effecting your egr system. (when you block off the egr it runs normal)
I have removed my cat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help emr131 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
1996SL11.9L
1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1

If it was a Jeep and wouldn't rev past 4k I'd say check for week spark.

Can you post scanner live data?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SL11.9L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SL11.9L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SL11.9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:26 PM   #5
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Just for clarification.. You are saying it won't go over 4K while driving right? IE, not trying this in park/neutral.

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
emr131

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by off-track View Post
Just for clarification.. You are saying it won't go over 4K while driving right? IE, not trying this in park/neutral.
Correct, can't do it while driving. I have taken it out of gear and was able to rev past 4k.

Off the wall question: what if I permanently block the EGR valve? Other than emissions, are there any negatives?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by emr131 View Post
Off the wall question: what if I permanently block the EGR valve? Other than emissions, are there any negatives?
There are, including fuel economy. It's not a huge issue, and might be worth considering for diagnosis, but it's not a great long-term solution.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote