SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
Stovepipe
Stovepipe is on a distinguished road

Post Changed ECTS and car won't start

Hi Guys,

Been browsing here for awhile and doing a lot of searching/reading, but I'm not sure exactly of my problem this time around.

The wife has a year 2000 SL1 five-speed. It's been idling fast, but otherwise runs like a top, no issues. Dropped her off at work this morning in it so I changed the ECTS today in hopes of curing the idle issues. I removed the battery for easier access. Well what i thought was a 15 min job has stretched into all day and evening, because now the car won't start.

The pertinent info:
-The starter will not crank.
-I now hear a click from the engine bay and also from the dash, which sounds like the starter trying to engage for a split second, but it does not crank at all.
-The lights and other accessories are dimmer/slower if you try to operate them after trying to start the car, as if there is a current draw. In addition after trying to crank it, the idiot lights will flash off and on almost in the same way the hazard lights do. All accessories, lights, etc. have power. I hear the fuel pump run when the key is turned.
-I cleaned up the minor corrosion on the battery terminals and cleaned up the ground under the airbox area, all look good.
-When I re-connect the battery, I hook up the positive terminal first then the negative. As soon as i touch the negative cable to the battery, I hear a noise coming from the throttle body area, near the TPS, but not sure where. It may actually be coming from the starter below, it's hard to tell. It sounds like a clicking/whirring noise that goes away within about 5s of the battery being connected.

I'm off work tomorrow so I'm dropping the wifey off again, but i need this car running for Monday. Is it a fair assumption that the starter is bad and I should just replace it? I don't know what else to try/troubleshoot. Is it possibly jammed? I tried a few smacks with a 1" x 1" piece of wood, to no avail. Should I try push-starting it to free it up?

Thanks for any input.

Phil

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Stovepipe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Stovepipe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Stovepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2010, 12:14 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Changed ECTS and car won't start

Well, if the starter is the original one in there (no mileage posted) and a boost from another battery doesn't get the power to run the starter, it may be a dead starter after whacking it. Push starting the engine won't tell you if the starter is good or bad since you're not using the starter, just getting the engine running to run. Be sure the battery has a full charge and isn't over 5yrs old as it may not have any ability to power a starter. An auto store battery test will confirm it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
Stovepipe
Stovepipe is on a distinguished road

Car only has 75k miles on it. Wife has a short commute.

Turns out the battery was pooched. Could only crank 177amps on the "battery dyno" at the local shop. Replaced it and she's alive again. Still a funny coincidence.

Thanks for the help!

Phil

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Stovepipe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Stovepipe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Stovepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

You'd be suprised as to what all can screw with starting... bad batteries and connections can do just that.

Glad to hear it's running again!

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote