SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Polls and Questions
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Would You Buy a Saturn Built Without Polymer Body Panels?
Yes 16 10.96%
No 93 63.70%
Maybe 37 25.34%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 12:27 PM   #61
BradJK
BradJK is on a distinguished road

2005 RELAY-2
2001 SL2

Polymer is a definate plus when purchasing a Saturn... But......
If Saturn designed an awesome car that happened to be steel and fit all my requirements. My dealership would still be my deciding factor to stay with Saturn.

I have never been so comfortable spending so much money so many times.

I do hope Saturn always has Plastic doors... They save so much money in body shop bills!!!!

Good by SL2, Hello???
Just waiting on the 5 door Astra

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BradJK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BradJK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2003, 12:59 AM   #62
Scotto
Scotto is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
Thumbs Down

No way! When I bought my 2001 SL2, I was looking at the VW Jetta and the Toyota Corolla. The Corolla was cheaper and more nicely appointed than the SL2. While the Jetta was a bit more expensive, it was a nicer package (mechanically and otherwise).

The ONLY reason that tipped the scales for me to buy the SL2 was the polymer panels. It was proven to me when some careless douchebag threw her door into my SL2's door--a scant few hours after I bought the car! The damage? A small paint scrape (which I was able to rub out).

I also live in Minnesota, where the winter salting of roads wreaks havoc on car bodies. With my SL2, I can use the automatic car wash in colder temperatures than if I had a metal-mobile...and I don't have to worry about the car looking like a rusty pile of junk before the mechanicals wear out.

GM/Saturn should worry more about good engineering and quality of assembly. It wouldn't hurt if they stayed away from weird styling trends too (ION dashboard and other Saturn interior fabric choices--YUCK).

I really am drooling to buy a 2004/2005 Vue with the 3.5L Honda motor! Then, I'd have the best of both worlds: polymer panels and a smooth, reliable motor! Too bad the Honda Odyssey doesn't have polymer panels (hint hint Saturn)!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Scotto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Scotto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-18-2003, 01:24 PM   #63
silverplum
silverplum is on a distinguished road

The polymer is one reason that Saturns are so special. I consider polymer a selling feature, especially if you are going to keep your car a long time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverplum's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverplum reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-30-2003, 12:18 PM   #64
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

WHEN Saturn does away polymer side panals they will need to do somthing to make it stand out from the rest of the cookie cutter cars out there.Since it appears from other post GM is bent on rebadgeing future Saturns out of other GM products they will need to give Saturn something that makes it unique. Maybe super wide moldings to give the owner anti ding protection like the polymer panels now give.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-05-2003, 05:55 PM   #65
kknobl
kknobl will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XE
2008 Outlook XE

I don't know what I would do. I will say, though, that it may give me reason to actually consider some other GM cars. Right now, I would never consider anything other than a Saturn. But if polymer goes away, why not look at a Pontiac or Chevy, since they will be similar anyway.

If, after the long day of history looks back on Saturn and judges it a failure, it will be GM's fault. As I've said before, I'm a loyal GM person, but I think they do have an uncanny ability to screw up even the best things.

Everytime I look at an early Saturn, it reminds me of the boundless optimisim surrounding Saturn when it began selling cars. Saturn was GM's answer to the Japanese - and Saturn was going to show the Japanese a thing or two. It was going to show that through innovative labor agreements, an old dog could indeed learn new tricks - and even beat the competition at their own game. Saturn was going to draw import buyers back into the GM fold - which it was (and to an extent, still is for now) very successful at doing. Saturn was going to show its parent that if Americans can build a good, quality car, Americans would buy an American product. Saturn was going to revolutionize the auto industry - from they way the cars were constructed to the way they were sold - Saturn was different.

The sad truth of the matter is this: GM politics let Saturn decay to the point it's at right now. Saturn was a pet project of Roger Smith. Most people know that Roger Smith shoulders a lot of blame for GMs problems of the 80s and 90s. GM executives knew this too, and wanted to see Saturn fail, after all, if it was successful Roger Smith would get all of the credit for it. GM couldn't have it, so they starved Saturn (more of less out of spite) so when it decayed, GM could go in and "rescue" it. Had GM pumped more models into Saturn's pipeline sooner, things might be different today. Saturn had all the potential in the world and now its future seems to be that of simply being another GM division.

In a recent article in a trade magazine, Jack Smith (no relation to Roger) was interviewed because he's retiring from GM. He was asked about various executives he had worked with and under. He was asked about Tom Murphy, Pete Estes, Robert Stempel, Rick Wagoner, and Roger Smith, among others. In it, he give Smith a lot of credit for his EDS and Hughes acquisitions, but does not say a word about Saturn...Interesting and sad. Saturn, had GM done things as they should have, would have proven to be a stroke of genius and a brilliant success for GM and Roger Smith. Alas, it was not to be...

Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kknobl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kknobl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-05-2003, 07:27 PM   #66
LynnF
LynnF is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Not a chance.

Quote:
Originally posted by piney
I like a ding free car & the safety that the subframe offers as well. If I wanted a steel car, I'd have one.

The polymer is Saturn's main competitive edge over the dealership experience. The car lasts for years the dealership experience is only an afternoon here and again. Absent the polymer, there would be no reason to buy one.
What he said! I love having a car in Buffalo that doesn't get eaten to pieces by winter road salt! And the polymer panels withstand bumps and dings that would send a metal car to the body shop. Tell GM to quit messing with a good thing and concentrate on coming up with more diverse models!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LynnF's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LynnF reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-30-2003, 10:24 PM   #67
TommyH
TommyH is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Dear General Motors and Saturn,

I recieve many astonished looks and comments from people who are not familiar with Saturns that my SC2 is a '97 and, at the point that I'm writing this, is five and a half years old! This is due in part to the styling of the SC2, but mostly to the near indestructable polymer body panels. I'm saddened to learn that the rear quarter panels of the L's are not "Rubbermaid" and will show wear so very much sooner than the "Tupperware" doors and front quarter panels. If this thread has not made is plain to you yet, you have created a large number of customers with letting Saturn be Saturn and using the now trademark polymer panels. Thank you very much for creating "A different kind of car, a different kind of company", please let that different kind of company keep useing it's "different kind of body panels". This may seem like a small thing to outsiders of this "Saturn Cult" (as some auto reviews call us), but it is one of the, now very, few things that make Saturn "A different kind of company". It is one of the things that has set this car appart from the others in its class. If Pontiac lost it's "edgy" shapes, and "performance" minded "tuning" then the only thing to do would be to call it a Chevy (or Toyota in the Matrix's case). I believe that I speak for most if not all loyal Saturn owners, when pleading to you to never do away with the trademark polymer panels (Improve upon them, please, if you can; or make even more parts of the car out of it like the hood and roof.).
So, please pay no heed to the nay-saying automotive journalists who can only find "body panel gap width" and the automatic transmission (in "D") 1/4 mile times to harp on and flaunt as "major defficiancies" of the Saturn line of auto's. Instead embrace the fact that the polymer panels are the differant to the otherwise stagnent pool of steel paneled normality. You have built a very loyal customer base with this different body cladding, please do not loose us to other "normal" car corperations. Please do not ever make Saturns without polymer panels.

Respectfully Submitted,
Thomas J. Huebner
owner of a 1997 Saturn SC2

(Referances to Rubbermaid and Tupperware are registered trademarks and were used without permission - please don't sue me.)

(You know after reading this I think I'm going to repost this in the suggestions forum as a new thread...)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TommyH's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TommyH reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-02-2003, 05:44 AM   #68
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally posted by TommyH
Saturn corperation says that the front of every Saturn is designed to look like it's smiling at you as it comes down the highway.....I don't know about you but the '97 SC2 has always looked like a shark to me....and that makes me smile....
You know... I think mine looks like it's sleeping... but anyways..

One of my favorite things about my saturn is the dent resistent side panels. Right after I got my SL, my friend opened the door of her Buick into the side of my car pretty hard and slammed my car pretty good. She freaked and thought she would have dented my door and I was like "gotta love that polymer!" She didn't know Saturns were made of plastic!

I don't think I would buy a Saturn if it wasn't polymer. That's what makes a Saturn.. well.. a Saturn! I don't like the new Saturns that much anyway... they don't look like Saturns, except for the VUE. GM needs to realize that they had a good thing going for them and stick with something that works!

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2003, 11:10 AM   #69
IndyVUE
IndyVUE is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2003 VUE 3.0L

We just returned a leased 2000 Toyota Solara....guess what happened 2 weeks after delivery in '00? A DOOR DING

Polymer is what defines and refines Saturn from the others.

GM, see what happens to 'vette sales when you want to make them from denting, rusting steel.........

(oh rats!, maybe that is the plan, return to the GM of OLD)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IndyVUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IndyVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2003, 02:17 AM   #70
ChrisION
ChrisION is on a distinguished road

i would. the dent-resistant panels are nice, but i would still buy a saturn without them. thats like not buying a mercedes just because it doesnt have standard leather :-P

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChrisION's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChrisION reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-10-2005, 03:09 PM   #71
SaturnVLN
SaturnVLN is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
1997 SL2
Default Re: Would You Buy a Saturn Built Without Polymer Body Panels?

I would have to say maybe. The polymer panels were also the selling point for me. And, as much as I don't like it, it seems that the polymer panels will be phased out now that GM is intent on putting Saturn under their complete control (perhaps into Oldsmobile's empty slot?). Let's see what all of these changes will lead to. I just hope the way the retailers do business does not change. I rather enjoyed that experience. I actually enjoy taking my Saturns in for their routine check ups.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnVLN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnVLN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2005, 04:26 PM   #72
jzatofl
jzatofl is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

NO! Thats why I bought a Saturn for the Polymer panels. I hate dings from rude other drivers...I think I have paid the dentless ding guy in St. Petersburg enought money to buy a house on the Gulf of Mexico from my other two cars.

Plus the Saturns still look good when they get older. Not like the other used cars with dings and dents all over the panels and fenders. If Saturns drops the polymer panels I will not purchase a new Saturn, but stick with the older models.

98-SC2
04-Rodeo
02-XK8

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jzatofl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jzatofl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2005, 11:40 PM   #73
rerunjas
rerunjas is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

One of the reasons I bought a Saturn was its Polymer Side Panels. If they switch to metal, then thats one less reason to buy a Saturn. Also, If they start building them in Mexico, then thats another reason not to buy a Saturn. If all of that does happens, then I probably wont buy another Saturn. GM needs to wise up and stop sending our USA Jobs to Canada and Mexico. Those are America's Jobs. Thats another reason not to buy a GM car made outside the US. James

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rerunjas's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rerunjas reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2005, 07:28 PM   #74
Nessuno
Nessuno is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

The Only Reason Left For Me To Buy A Saturn Are The Polymer Body Panels! The Vue Is Noisy, Not Very Well Built, And The Paint Job Stinks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nessuno's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nessuno reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-11-2005, 03:43 AM   #75
Elsongs
Elsongs is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan

I owned an SL2 for a month shy of 13 years. I must have been rear-ended about 6 times. Five of those times, there was no damage at all, and in all those instances, the other driver and I both shrugged said, "Eh..." and left before we even considered whipping out the insurance info.

The sixth time, though, I was rear-ended at a slight angle and the other car (a Chevy Lumina sedan) smashed the right rear end in. My SL2 was considered todaled, and a settlement check later I bought myself a 2005 ION2 sedan.

It already had features I would consider "different" like the center instrument panel, the trunk battery and the electric power steering. But the polymer is what a good old Saturn is and what it should be. Those panel "gaps" can only be measured in milimeters, but the value of a dent-resistant car body is immeasurable.

I already know that after '06, Saturns will no longer offer polymer panels.
I really hope and pray that the steel-panel Saturns (and the rebadged Opel models of '07) will just be a "phase" and that they'll return to classic Saturn bodies and styles in the future.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Elsongs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Elsongs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-19-2005, 12:39 AM   #76
Scott
Scott is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
1995 SL2

I vote for more polymer, not less. I have a dent on my (steel) hood where some drunk jumped on the car. I have a dent on the (steel) roof where a big branch fell in a storm. I have a dent in the (steel) trunk lid from closing it on some firewood that didn't quite fit in there. It bugs me to no end that I have all these dents in a "plastic" car.

No dents in the sides, of course.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Scott's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Scott reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-21-2005, 11:54 PM   #77
AltF4
AltF4 is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1
1999 SL1
Thumbs Down Re: Would You Buy a Saturn Built Without Polymer Body Panels?

Nope, and I was pretty jazzed up about the sky too till I realized its coming out as steel.
My 96 SC2 looks great (except for the black window trim paint), and runs pretty dang good too (103000 miles). I have been shopping for a new car - looked at the RX8, Mitsubishi, Ford's pony car, and a couple of other coupes, but can't find one that really yanks my chain. If Saturn had the polymer on the new Sky, it would be hands down, an easy choice. too bad, no polymer, no thanks.

Maybe I'll go test drive a charger.....

2000 sc1 blackberry
1999 sl1
1996 sc2 *sold*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AltF4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AltF4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-01-2005, 08:50 PM   #78
01SC1blue
01SC1blue is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1

im about 70% in favor 30% not, yes panels dont rust, dent, are very lightweight (helps mileage speed and makes up for unfortunately a lil lack in pwr of the SOHC engine 100hp. which with polymer panels i can rape a escort ZX2 which has 130hp) and are very strong in the summer, but in the winter i live in winnipeg we get -50celcius, the shatter like glass and a new panel for my car is 700$ unpainted and another 200$ to get fitted and finished way more than a steel panel
they dont dent but man if something rubs aginst them makes a huge gouge which cant be fixed the panel has to be replaced as for a big dent can be pulled out. but i think the pros outweigh the cons due to no rust and lil dings which are not worth the money to fix id rather not spend 2k yr just on rust checks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 01SC1blue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 01SC1blue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-02-2005, 01:28 PM   #79
Tysonjw
Tysonjw is on a distinguished road

How about the saturn Quiet metal?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tysonjw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tysonjw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-02-2005, 03:55 PM   #80
VEGAS_SATURN
VEGAS_SATURN is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2

Plastic doesn't dent, IT CRACKS! They don't show that on the commercials. It also scratches very easily. I have a cracked fender (no clue how it happened) and the gold paint popular on the S-series that once it fades a little is impossible to match.

I WOULD BUY A STEEL SATURN (if I was buying another Saturn). Actually, to be honest I would not buy one. If I had the cash for a new car I'd be picking up an 05 Mustang GT.

1997 SW2
Performance: Short Ram, Magnaflow, SPS Wires
Sound: Alpine and Rockford Fosgate, Sirius Radio

Upcoming: KYB Struts are in the garage. Sound dampener is on the way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VEGAS_SATURN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VEGAS_SATURN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread