SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
vettegofast
vettegofast will become famous soon enough

Default Key hard to turn in ignition - key lock cylinder?

I have a 2006 Vue. When I put the key in, it's really hard to turn. After multiple tries, it finally goes. if I don't take the key out, it works fine turning on/off. Seems like once you take the key out and you hear a loud "click", it engages the steering wheel lock and its hard after that.

Not sure if I can lube it or not, or if we have to change the whole cylinder. If so, where can i get one?

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vettegofast's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vettegofast reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vettegofast is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #2
txaginid
txaginid is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Key hard to turn in ignition - key lock cylinder?

Had that happen once. Could not get the key in for several minutes. This was a couple months ago, has not happened again since and it fixed itself. So hopefully won't happen again, but I will watch for replies to your post for a fix if it does.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to txaginid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help txaginid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
txaginid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
vettegofast

Thanks for the quick reply. Its been doing this for a few months. tried the spare key too, it does the same thing. It's out of warranty so i was hoping it would "go away".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help vettegofast reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
col_dude190
Advanced Member
col_dude190 will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 VUE Red Line

My '06 started out being hard to turn a few months ago...so I lubed the cylinder with graphite and had a brand new key cut, which seemed to eliminate the problem for awhile. Then, at the end of June the ignition began to get sticky, sometimes turning normally, other times being extremely stiff. Finally, one day the ignition would not turn at all. Thankfully it happened in my driveway, but the ignition would not turn even after a half an hour of attempts, forcing me to order a new part. I got my part through my local dealer for around $70 plus an additional $20 fee to have the ignition cylinder coded to my vehicle. There is one aftermarket company that makes the cylinder as well as I have seen them on rockauto and eBay, but they aren't any lower priced than the OEM part.

Installation of the part is pretty painless and will take under an hour if your ignition will turn. Its fairly straightforward to install, basically you remove the plastic covers around the steering wheel (held in by 3 screws if I remember correctly), remove the plastic guard over the lock cylinder, and then turn the key to the ACC position and use a pin through a hole in the side of the cylinder to unlock the cylinder from the steering column and ignition switch.

With that said, mine was very badly locked and took quite awhile to get it turned to the ACC position so that I could remove the lock cylinder. However, once I finally got it to turn, the cylinder pulled right out once the pin was pressed into the side hole.

If I were in your position, I would simply replace the ignition lock cylinder now. After all of the headaches I went through to replace mine because I chose to wait to replace it, I feel like I should have just replaced it when the issues started to pop up. Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to col_dude190's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help col_dude190 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
col_dude190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettegofast View Post
I have a 2006 Vue. When I put the key in, it's really hard to turn. After multiple tries, it finally goes. if I don't take the key out, it works fine turning on/off. Seems like once you take the key out and you hear a loud "click", it engages the steering wheel lock and its hard after that.

Not sure if I can lube it or not, or if we have to change the whole cylinder. If so, where can i get one?

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks!
Locks can be lubricated ... might not help in your case as it sounds like something is hosed in the innards.

I found out the hard-way that a stiff lock does not improve over time. I finally had to have mine knocked out and replaced after it refused to turn no matter what. (Was not a Saturn - but seems like they're all frail and contrary in this day and age).

Don't overlook the local lock and key shops. I've found most of them have parts, or can repair the parts in existing ignition switches, and I imagine they're less expensive than the GM dealer.

It also might help if you have AAA (or similar insurance). They paid most of the $175 it cost to get me back on the road when my ignition locked up.

Locked-out or locked-up, all the same to them.

Edit: I noted col dude190 posted while I was working on my response. His response is factual and timely - as all his posts are.

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
col_dude190
Advanced Member
col_dude190 will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
Edit: I noted col dude190 posted while I was working on my response. His response is factual and timely - as all his posts are.
Well thank you sir

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to col_dude190's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help col_dude190 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
col_dude190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:39 PM   #7
emsvitil
emsvitil has a spectacular aura aboutemsvitil has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 2.2L

I just fixed that problem.......

See:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156968

for a free fix........

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emsvitil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emsvitil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emsvitil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:27 AM   #8
vettegofast

Nicely done ed! If it keeps getting worse, i'm gonna have to take it apart and try this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #9
vettegofast

Once I get the cylinder out, can I try to lube it with some graphite grease? Or do i have to grind it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-04-2010, 04:07 PM   #10
emsvitil

2005 VUE 2.2L

If the tang doesn't always retract (try it with all your keys)

grind it.........

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help emsvitil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-04-2010, 04:23 PM   #11
vettegofast

ANyone ever did the TSB in this thread?

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...arting-the-key

And is there an autozone equivelent to GM SUper Lube?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-09-2010, 07:57 AM   #12
vettegofast

Guys,

I finally managed to work on this. I went to O'reilly and the guys gave me a can of "lock lube" that they recommend for this type of application. Its an aerosol. When i used it, it was clear, very thin and runny. Kinda smelled like spray paint.

How is this going to lubricate long term? It seems more like a penetrating lubricant.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #13
emsvitil

2005 VUE 2.2L

I don't think lack of lubrication is the problem as I lubed mine without any effect..............

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-16-2010, 07:52 PM   #14
qwikz28
qwikz28 is on a distinguished road

I had this problem and it turned out to be my key had worn out. I found an original and the key turned just fine. Made 5 copies while I was at it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to qwikz28's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help qwikz28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:25 PM   #15
Routs
Routs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikz28 View Post
I had this problem and it turned out to be my key had worn out. I found an original and the key turned just fine. Made 5 copies while I was at it.
An even better alternative is to go to a dealer and have them make you keys from your VIN. They will be exactly as they were when the truck was brand new. My wife's key was almost completely rounded when I went to get two new ones cut. They solved our issues instantly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Routs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Routs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Routs is offline   Reply With Quote