SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
Mainer4
Mainer4 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Default Windshield Wipers won't work, fuses blow

2001 LW200 with 2.2L engine. Wife driving along and a flash of light on the dashboard, the rear windshield wiper starts itself, runs a bit and then stops. 1/2 hour later a huge rainstorm starts and the wipers won't run. Wife is stranded on the side of the road for hours. Dealer works on it for 4 hours and comes up with corroded fuse box as the answer. I remove fusebox, it has 3-4 connections with green corrosion, nothing serious. I completely disassemble (not the engine fusebox, it is the left IFB or whatever it is called), clean each connector and use dielectric grease upon reassembly. Pull relays in the engine compartment and insert fuse which blows immediately upon turning the engine key. Put relays back in and fuse still blows immediately. FSM seems to indicate two different circuits for the front and rear ww wipers (neither work) so check Right side IFB and the fuse is good for rear ww wipers. I am not that familiar with Saturn FSM, but so far I cannot find an overall wiring diagram, just a point to point block diagram. Trying to figure where I could have a direct short to ground in the wiring harness and why the rear WW wiper doesn't work, regardless of front WW status. Seems the common point may be the control switches on the steering wheel. Any ideas - do these have a history of problems with the stalk controls?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mainer4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mainer4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mainer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Windshield Wipers won't work, fuses blow

Although there is some history of the combination stalk switch failing, none resulted in shorting fuses. You can check back through past threads on this.

As to finding a short, it may be easier on you if you disconnected the wipers at each harness connection point and using a simple 12v trouble light or homemade test lamp to bridge across the fuse connector to see if the short lights up the bulb/test light. This saves you fuses; a bright light would mean a short still exists while a dim or no light would mean the short is gone. Having the FSM wiring diagram can help to find the path wherever it leads to the short.

I'm not close to my FSM's to examine the wiring in detail to comment.

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
born again
born again is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Read this -
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ighlight=wiper

I am still using this repaired WW motor. If you don't feel like operating on the motor, a new one may be required. Rockauto carries rebuilt ones.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
Mainer4

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I pulled out the windshield wiper control stalk (switch) and ohm out all the contacts in the "OFF" position, using the table on page 233 in the FSM as a guide. Turns out that there is a direct short between the yellow power feed and the black ground in the switch itself. I have taken the switch apart and it looks normal, no breaks, spare parts, or metal where it shouldn't be. Circuits 550 and 346 for those interested. That explains why the fuse blows the second the key is turned to ACC. I wouldn't have expected a switch like this to mysteriously develop an internal short without showing some evidence of wear or damage.

$135 is a lot of money too, almost 5X what a sedan switch for the same car! I hope my diagnostics and the service manual is correct!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Mainer4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-05-2010, 07:38 AM   #5
Mainer4

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I have confirmed my diagnosis. The switch developed an internal short in the control for the rear windshield wiper. I cut the two red wires going up into the stalk and rechecked the 342 to 550 short that I had previously observed and it was gone. I reassembled the switch put everything back together and turned on the power. My test lamp remained unlit. I replaced the 25A fuse and turned on the windshield wipers. They started and worked normally. Now just need to wait for the new one to show up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!