SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2011, 05:34 PM   #41
Williz
Williz is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
Default Re: Review: Rebuilt sunroof module & how-to

Ever since I have seen Shawn's video on youtube, I have been trying to get in contact with Jeff Weston for my sunroof also, no reply yet unfortunately :-(

Would anyone here know his direct number so I may call him personally and get this darn sunroof ordered lol

Thanks guys :-)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Williz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Williz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Williz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #42
quagmeyer
quagmeyer is on a distinguished road

Hey guys! Sunroof just went out and found this forum. I emailed Jeff today, hoping to hear back from him. Who lives close to Georgia and wants to help me with this project?

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quagmeyer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quagmeyer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quagmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #43
99GreenySC2
99GreenySC2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

i would doubt he is back yet, although i would like to know when he does get back... i guess a busted sunroof can hold out longer until then ha

99 SC2 164k

Its got issues -_-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99GreenySC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99GreenySC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99GreenySC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #44
quagmeyer

Hey guys,

I found this website and think I'm gonna give it a shot. My motor still works so I'm just gonna go with the $150 guide rails kit. It's built out of aluminum and not the cheap plastic Saturn graced us with

Here is the site I'm going to follow: saturnspot(DOT)com/showthread.php?t=27123

Wish me luck! I'll post back after I'm done and let you guys know how it goes.

Cheers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help quagmeyer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #45
quagmeyer

Wow. What a beat down project. Not sure anyone is even reading/looking at this forum anymore, but just in case (and like I promised), I'll let you know how it went. I had originally purchased just the guide rails. Like all the other forums I read said..if you hear the clicking noise when you try to open up the sunroof, the motor is fine. So I bought the rails and installed them. Turns out my motor was bad as well. Got a new motor off of eBay for $40. Installed it and tested out the sunroof - wouldn't go up on the left side. Pissed! I'm decent with tools and installing the guide rails took 9 hours. So punishing.

I called Rick from Sunroof Doctor with the intention of pleading with him to send me the entire sunroof module and somehow reimburse me the $150 for the rails I purchased by me returning my old module with the new rails (which I installed) with it. Before I could explain the situation, he interrupted me and told me he would refund me the $150 and send me the brand new module for $200 as I long as I return the old module. I received it in 2 days and installed it in less than 2 hours. I returned the old one to him with a prepaid label he sent me.

My advised to you (whoever is still reading or interested)...buy the entire module right away. It's 1000% easier and comes pre-installed with the new metal rails and pre-greased. The most difficult part was remembering how to put the headliner together after a couple weeks of my car being disassembled

Here are a couple pictures of before and after:

adventures.org/seth/images/img/sunroof-before(DOT)jpg

adventures.org/seth/images/img/sunroof-after(DOT)jpg

*just replace the (DOT) with a (.) Apparently I'm not trustworthy enough to post URL's in my posts.

Please message me if you have any questions! I'll be more than happy to answer anything.

People often assume that us Saturn loyalist own these cars because we can't afford anything else. Not true. I've recently bought my wife a brand new Ford Escape but I absolutely love my 2001 Saturn SC2 a lot more than I ever imaged I would. It has 160,000 miles on it but have never had any issues and plan on driving it for as long as I can. Fixing the sunroof only adds to my overall love for this car.

Last edited by quagmeyer; 08-25-2012 at 10:23 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #46
Uthinkso
Uthinkso is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1

I just picked up my 01 SC1 last week and have been making a parts list of things to replace the headliner and sunroof are on the list for this winter.

Thank you for the update. I will just deal with Sunroof Doctor direct.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uthinkso's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uthinkso reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uthinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #47
PeteB
Advanced Member
PeteB is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1994 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmeyer View Post
Wow. What a beat down project. Not sure anyone is even reading/looking at this forum anymore...
The forum is bedraggled but still alive, as are a heck of a lot of Saturns. I have a '94 SC2 in my garage with about 70k, getting piston rings (original owner didn't change oil) and a sunroof one of these days, then back out for another 200k.

Appreciate the information, thanks.

Also have a 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PeteB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PeteB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #48
jgunter
jgunter is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

My name is Josh. I just bought a 2001 Saturn SC2 and need one of these replacement sunroof kits ASAP. I emailed Jeff and got no reply. Would love to know if anyone knows how I can get this kit... please email me jgunter@live.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jgunter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jgunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jgunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:19 AM   #49
macbox
macbox is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
1997 SC2

For everyone who still wants to post in this thread asking about it, the maker of these kits moved overseas and has not been heard from since late 2009, you should forget about this option.

The best option at the current time is to visit the sunroofdoctor.com website.

#4, 1995 SC2m, 163K, 400 Miles per quart. Garage queen. Currently in 1000 pieces for a rebuild.
#5, 1998 SW2m, rebuilt at 126K, Totaled at 205K miles.
#6 1997 SC2a, 179K, Needs a new head.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to macbox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help macbox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
macbox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:54 AM   #50
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2
2003 VUE 2.2L

Jeff is back with rebuilt sunroof modules. His sunroofs are $235.00 shipping included with a core charge of $35.00 and prepaid return shipping label for your old sunroof. Refund the $35 core charge upon receipt of your old one.

His modules comes complete with motor, ready to install and run & 1 year warranty.

Prefer to use PayPal for payments.

Initial price $270.

Contact him directly at jdwz28@yahoo.com and make sure to mention Shawnv and saturnfans!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #51
jamesmelville
jamesmelville is on a distinguished road

2002 Saturn SC1

Could someone take a look and see if I have mistakes. Both guides are broken and I am making some. Every thing else seems to function just fine.
Feel free to make any corrections or post a picture of a good part.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (79.8 KB, 10 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jamesmelville's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jamesmelville reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jamesmelville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:32 AM   #52
jamesmelville

My overhead view

I have not gotten a reply from jdwz28. I am making a program to make my own guides. I hope that I can piece together enough of the plastic parts from broken guide... feel free to correct or reuse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (66.1 KB, 7 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jamesmelville reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-19-2014, 07:14 AM   #53
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

I might be interested in buying a set of guides if you figure it out. I know there was another guy who was making these in aluminum. FWIW.

Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #54
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2

Making them out of T7075 aluminum stock ought to be easy if you've got a mini-mill. I was prepared to make new ones, but mine were intact.

Jeff Weston is the guy who was fabricating the new rails and fixing old sunroof units. You can find him here: jdwz28@yahoo.com

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts, but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. -Frank Herbert-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #55
jamesmelville

Quote:
Originally Posted by VUEmaniac View Post
Making them out of T7075 aluminum stock ought to be easy if you've got a mini-mill. I was prepared to make new ones, but mine were intact.

Jeff Weston is the guy who was fabricating the new rails and fixing old sunroof units. You can find him here: jdwz28@yahoo.com
That is the same email that I couldn't get a reply from. I emailed again just to be sure.
And yes, I own a small machine shop. If I have to do this I will use a HAAS CNC. Its by far Cheaper to buy these @ $80/100 per set if possible. If I do make them, I will do a small run but out of 6061 as that is the material of choice for this application. Also doubt that I would anodize either. Glass bead and leave finishing for other buyers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-05-2016, 11:23 PM   #56
sharward
sharward is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Jeff is still alive and well and doing sunroof module rebuilds -- for now. I just bought one from him and everything ultimately went well.

As of about a week ago he only had 15 units left and he said he'd stop after that, so get 'em while supplies last. Sunroof Doctor is out of stock so I think Jeff is your last chance.

Jeff's rebuilt unit arrived in a wooden crate with the rear drip crossbar detached (broke off in shipment), but we partnered on fixing it and avoided a costly return shipment.

This is actually my wife's fourth sunroof in her 2001 SC2. The original was replaced just outside of warranty -- GM cut us a deal with them providing the module free of charge and we paid labor. That one failed years later and I replaced it with Sunroof Doctor's rebuild module with the milled aluminum guides. That one failed a few weeks ago, probably because a rivet broke loose and I'm guessing got jammed in the track (I see the hole). Jeff's is #4 and it's working great at this point. Hopefully it will be the last.

The email address for Jeff is valid and it's where you send your PayPal payment.

Here's the original reply I got from Jeff. which has some updating pricing information and other details:

Quote:
I sell the sunroofs for $250.00 shipping included to the continental US.

I also charge a $35.00 refundable core charge.
I will include a prepaid return shipping label for your old sunroof.

I warranty the sunroof for one year.

I prefer to use PayPal for payments. Initial price $285.

Once I receive your old sunroof I refund the core charge to your PayPal account.

Alternatively, I can provide a repair kit with the machined aluminum guides, rivets and grease for $85 shipping to the continental US included.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Regards
Jeff Weston

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sharward's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sharward reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sharward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:00 PM   #57
Killamurk
Killamurk is on a distinguished road

Will be ordering one in 10 days thanks for the info

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Killamurk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Killamurk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Killamurk is offline   Reply With Quote