SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #21
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Review: Rebuilt sunroof module & how-to

Just curious, is the glass a new part (my main concern is rust-free) and come with a new seal attached? If so, $10 extra is a bargain. Nonetheless I'm going to keep this offer in mind.

Even if the glass isn't new, $200 for a rebuilt, improved complete sunroof module is still a steal IMO.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #22
watchmedoit
watchmedoit is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

Ordered the module from jeff and he will ship it out tuesday and look to install it next weekend. Hopefully it will be cooler next weekend, 98 here today and 100 yesterday. May post if I need any help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to watchmedoit's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help watchmedoit reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
watchmedoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:18 PM   #23
drg
drg is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
1999 SC2
Thumbs Up Re: Review: Rebuilt sunroof module & how-to

Just a couple of pointers as you probably already know...Take your time and dont get in a big hurry, also clean out the drain tubes while you got it apart..Some use air some run weed eater string down the tubes,...Have a extra hand if possible when lowering the headliner if possible, not heavy just kinda bulky...Have some fun with the task its a great learning experience, and enjoy the sunroof when you have it all back together

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to drg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help drg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
drg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:38 AM   #24
watchmedoit
watchmedoit is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

I have a buddy that is good with fixing things that will be there to lend me a hand. With Shawn's and Richpins videos I feel confident we can get it done.
By the way I have a 99 sc2 that I purchased 3 weeks ago and everything else works great. Previous owner had taken very good care of it. By the way I have already changed the oil and will keep a good eye on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to watchmedoit's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help watchmedoit reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
watchmedoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:24 PM   #25
moresaturn
moresaturn is on a distinguished road

1998 SC1

Completed the swap and all is well. Now if I can just find the time to re-do the headliner.

A little tip from my installation. Tighten the nuts (not uber tight, just enough until about the thread starts peeking through the nut) on the sides of the module in order to get the glass bolts started. Then loosen them up and follow Jeff's instructions.

1994 SL2 - 24 Hours of Lemons Racecar
1998 SC1 - 305K miles - dead
2001 SC1 - 349K miles and counting - 1 quart per 1K miles - stock engine
Just another OEM engineer...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to moresaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help moresaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
moresaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #26
jdwz28
jdwz28 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01SuperCoupe View Post
Hi Jeff, thanks for the response!

After seeing your reply I went out and had a brief look at my car.
From what I can see the previous owner just removed the motor, and stuffed the cables up into the ceiling, the squirted silicone on the outside surface of the glass panel seal, everything else appears to be intact.
To make a long story short, I don't think I will need a new glass panel, just the module. Discounting $13 from the core refund for the cost of a new motor seems like a bargain to me.
You were saying that you once shipped a rebuilt unit to Canada...Do you recall what the shipping cost was? I know all of the major shipping companies all grin ear to ear when the get a package coming here....After all, I am only a 2.5 hour drive to Buffalo, NY and everyone knows that the Big 3 shippers never send packages there...
The shipping to Canada was $80 plus. So we worked out a deal on waiving the core charge with no return shipping. The cores aren't worth getting back at the kind of shipping cost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jdwz28's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jdwz28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jdwz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #27
jdwz28

1997 SC2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
Just curious, is the glass a new part (my main concern is rust-free) and come with a new seal attached? If so, $10 extra is a bargain. Nonetheless I'm going to keep this offer in mind.

Even if the glass isn't new, $200 for a rebuilt, improved complete sunroof module is still a steal IMO.
Glass and seal are not new. Used. I have cherry picked the glasses I have though. I've never even look at the prices on seals or glasses. In most cases if someone needs a glass a good used one is better than what they currently have. That's why so cheap...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jdwz28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #28
jdwz28

1997 SC2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmedoit View Post
Ordered the module from jeff and he will ship it out tuesday and look to install it next weekend. Hopefully it will be cooler next weekend, 98 here today and 100 yesterday. May post if I need any help.
Yours should be there before the weekend. I'll include my phone number with your tracking number.
If you run in to issues feel free to call me. From what I've seen these guys are awesome at responding to requests for help but sometimes a phone call is quicker.
I'll do my best not to act like a "business" with the people who buy modules and just take your money and disappear. If you need some advice during installation or find you need more spare parts like drain clamps, dome lights, switches, extra screws or nuts, just let me know. I've collected plenty of these to mail out if they're needed. I try to include the things that I know break during installation but you never know....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-17-2010, 06:18 PM   #29
jdwz28

1997 SC2
1998 SC2

Sorry for the delay in reply to some emails and this thread. Took a motorcycle trip last week. Next time I'll give a heads up so nobody thinks I'm ignoring emails.
Thanks again to Shawn for his review and video. Looks to be working out for everyone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #30
jdwz28

1997 SC2
1998 SC2

Didn't intend to duplicate the "pause" post.

2-97 SC2's, 98 SC2
97 SC2 #1 Red 5-spd. Rear disc swap cross drilled rotors stainless braided brake lines carbon ceramic pads. 18" 8-spoke wheels with 225/35-18 tires.

Last edited by jdwz28; 09-03-2010 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: Accidental Mutltiple post

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #31
jdwz28

1997 SC2
1998 SC2

Sorry everybody. I have to push the pause button on this thing. I didn't anticipate selling out of parts so fast. I have some more pressing issues to tend to (finishing the engine for my daughters SC!). I hope to be able to make more parts before the end of the month. If I can't, it will be December before I make more. If that is the case, I will only be selling the guides and not rebuilt modules. They will still be a great alternative $ wise to the other source.
Hang in there and do not hesitate to email your request for parts or a module so I have an idea how many parts to make and who will get them first.
Thank you all for outstanding response to this and to Shawn again for his review.
Jeff W.

2-97 SC2's, 98 SC2
97 SC2 #1 Red 5-spd. Rear disc swap cross drilled rotors stainless braided brake lines carbon ceramic pads. 18" 8-spoke wheels with 225/35-18 tires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-11-2010, 11:40 PM   #32
diazdavenator
diazdavenator is on a distinguished road

1993 SL1

My 93 SL1 has an interesting sunroof situation. When I first bought it last summer, I figured the motor was just dead, because pressing the buttons did nothing, so I forgot about it and figured I'd just deal with a closed sunroof. However, one day during the following winter, (when it was particularly cold) I accidentally hit the sunroof button instead of the dome light one I intended to hit and the sunroof began to open. I was able to open it and close it completely and noticed that the tracks were very rusty, but aside from that it worked fine. After that day, however, I was never able to get it to open again.

What could be causing it to malfunction? I'm guessing that the cold weather was what made it open, but ultimately I haven't been able to test that (and I don't see a reason why it would).

Thanks,
David

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to diazdavenator's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help diazdavenator reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
diazdavenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #33
hotrod205
hotrod205 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwz28 View Post
Hang in there and do not hesitate to email your request for parts or a module so I have an idea how many parts to make and who will get them first.
I need the parts. It's almost the end of the month, any update on future availability?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hotrod205's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hotrod205 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hotrod205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:48 PM   #34
ibhumpty
ibhumpty is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Re: Review: Rebuilt sunroof module & how-to

THANK YOU SIR,,exactly what l needed:
Just read the other threads...I think motor is ok,have yet to dissassemble but sunroof tries to open and seems to be hung up only in drivers front corner. Do you think this is a track problem ? thanks,Tony
ps 2002 sc1

Last edited by ibhumpty; 10-01-2010 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: adding to

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ibhumpty's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ibhumpty reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ibhumpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:07 AM   #35
jas11151990
jas11151990 is on a distinguished road

I would love one for a 95 sc2..please and thank you

jas11151990@gmail.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jas11151990's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jas11151990 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jas11151990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:36 PM   #36
my96sc1
my96sc1 is on a distinguished road

On my 1st gen sc1 sunroof module i fixed myself . It i seasy to take cover off look on bottom of circuit board. You will find to relays on one end. If you look close you will see a dark ring around soldier joints, usually the 2 on one end of relay and the pwer pin , top pin on end the has 3 smaller pins. resolder yourself should fix it , thats what i,ve found on them. Hope this helps. Jeff Mc

my96sc1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to my96sc1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help my96sc1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
my96sc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:04 PM   #37
jas11151990
jas11151990 is on a distinguished road

i wish it would be that easy.....my sc2 sat for three years and a few small plastic pieces cracked and broke down in the guides.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jas11151990's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jas11151990 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jas11151990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:34 PM   #38
jdwz28

1997 SC2
1998 SC2

Thanks to everyone interested and those that have purchased. I am moving overseas to help set up a new machine shop/manufacturing facility.
I will not be shipping any rebuilt modules for a while but in a few months I should be able to make a big supply of aluminum guides much cheaper than before.
Will update in a couple of months.

2-97 SC2's, 98 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #39
fvee20
fvee20 will become famous soon enough

Say it aint so! I just bought my son a car that needs a new sunroof module... let us know when your ready to start shiping again!

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fvee20's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fvee20 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fvee20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:29 AM   #40
macbox
macbox is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvee20 View Post
Say it aint so! I just bought my son a car that needs a new sunroof module... let us know when your ready to start shiping again!

Thanks!
This is an old thread from 7 months ago, it is probably a good idea to PM the member directly and see if he is still overseas or has returned and is ready to ship again.

If you find out let us know.

#4, 1995 SC2m, 163K, 400 Miles per quart. Garage queen. Currently in 1000 pieces for a rebuild.
#5, 1998 SW2m, rebuilt at 126K, Totaled at 205K miles.
#6 1997 SC2a, 179K, Needs a new head.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to macbox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help macbox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
macbox is offline   Reply With Quote