SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
Dawggy
Dawggy is on a distinguished road

Default 1996 sl2 wont start or crank...

went to the store in ol trusty rusty 1996 sl2 DOHC 1.9 liter everything working fine... came out loaded with groceries and turn the key and nothing... it does not even attempt to crank... battery is fully charged....tried different battery....tried putting it in neutral...starter is only 2 yrs old.. any ideas? theres so many things it could be but I am disabled and cannot go hunting what it could be so hoping somebody has an idea.... any help is appreciated, thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dawggy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dawggy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dawggy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2
Default Re: 1996 sl2 wont start or crank...

You're right--could be a lot of things. Check all of the power and ground connections that feed the starter (the connections on the battery and the ones on the chassis, engine, starter, etc.

When you turn the key, do other accessories (radio, blower motor, etc) work, or is everything dead? If there's a loose connection on the battery, everything else will probably work until you try to start the car, and then everything will go dead.

High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:22 PM   #3
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Just to be sure, did you check your oil and coolant?

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:34 PM   #4
Dawggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticCarsRock View Post
You're right--could be a lot of things. Check all of the power and ground connections that feed the starter (the connections on the battery and the ones on the chassis, engine, starter, etc.

When you turn the key, do other accessories (radio, blower motor, etc) work, or is everything dead? If there's a loose connection on the battery, everything else will probably work until you try to start the car, and then everything will go dead.
Everything else works fine....lights radio ac etc etc... full of oil and coolant to answer the other post gonna have er towed home tomorrow sounds to Me like a wire broke or came loose on the starter.. in past cars when starter or celenoid went bad I would always get atleast a click or a whining noise but its like the starter isnt connected at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Dawggy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-27-2010, 08:41 AM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Grab the positive cable from the battery and try to flex it a bit. If it feels "crunchy" you have severe corrosion and it needs to be replaced. I don't think that is your problem, but this is a free, two second test

You might have a problem at the contacts in the ignition key cylinder, too

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Do the SES and "Wrench" lights come on when you turn the key to RUN?

Try holding the key in the START position, and (here's the tricky part) moving the shifter from Neutral toward Reverse and toward Drive. If that gets the starter to catch, then the Neutral Safety Switch (actually, it's the whole Trans Selector switch) needs to be adjusted or replaced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
bitterlemons
bitterlemons is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.2L

My 2000 SW2 seems to be having the same problem. Left my wife stranded. I'm about to take a bus across town to see if I can get it going again. Hopefully one of these tips will get me back on the road.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bitterlemons's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bitterlemons reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bitterlemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:58 PM   #8
Dawggy

So...... had the car towed home on a flatbed today... and when the driver left... just for grins I tried to start it and it started right up.... so I have to have some sort of a short somewhere in ol trusty rusty

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-27-2010, 11:11 PM   #9
Mgg4591
Mgg4591 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawggy View Post
So...... had the car towed home on a flatbed today... and when the driver left... just for grins I tried to start it and it started right up.... so I have to have some sort of a short somewhere in ol trusty rusty
Could be your neutral safety switch. I know when i had my auto i needed to put it in D or N relatively hard to get it to start sometimes. And this was after i replaced the starter.

2002 Mitsubishi Galant 2.4, 94,500 miles
2007 Toyota Camry 2.4, 29,600 miles
1999 Saturn SL2 1.9, 93,700 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mgg4591's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mgg4591 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mgg4591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:19 PM   #10
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

^^^^ This is where the "nudge it toward Reverse and Drive" test applies (see above).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2010, 08:52 AM   #11
95SL1/2
95SL1/2 is on a distinguished road

I seem to be having the same problem with my 95 sl1 with a twin cam swap, everything was working fine , then on sunday I couldnt get the starter to work right, and push started it to get it home. I pulled a starter that i had laying around had it tested and slapped it on same condition, bypassed the clutch safety switch and same result. I am at whits end and am tired of having to park on curbs and push my car just to leave somewhere.I have checked the wire as described above , i have double checked connections at the starter to make sure they are all tight. Sorry to hijack but i didnt see the need in creating another post for the same condition.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 95SL1/2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 95SL1/2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
95SL1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:53 AM   #12
madpogue

1996 SW2

Time to start narrowing down. Put a voltmeter between your clutch switch bypass and a ground. Turn the key to START. If you get voltage, the problem is downstream - wire from there to the starter, starter itself, solenoid, connection. If you don't get voltage, the problem is upstream - ignition switch, wiring from (underhood?) fuse box to ignition switch, wire from ignition switch to clutch switch bypass. From there just keep doing the "divide and conquer" routine with the voltmeter and an assistant turning the key to START.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-25-2010, 01:26 AM   #13
Dawggy

Sorry it took so long to reply... thanks for all the tips... being disabled I had to wait till My brother could come over and look into the problem.

It was a small wire that clips onto a small clip near the bolt on the starter. it had came loose and the clip end on the wire was just about off.. He replaced the clip on the wire and secured it a little better and that fixed er right up.

Now if I could get it to stop slamming into 2nd and 3rd gear lol... did the reverse slam fix a few years back and it fixed it but its back and the reverse slam fix didnt fix it this time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!