SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #21
Lodogg2221
Lodogg2221 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Shaggin Wagon, 98SW raised floor (rear seat delete)

That is sweet!

I wonder how hard it would be to remove the parts in case it was a family trip?
Is it all secured with fasteners?

I love my wagon so far, and had been thinking about different wheels. After seeing your pic, those wheels look great! Have to add that to the list I guess!
Just finished tinting mine last week. Makes it look a LOT better, and its cooler in the sun too.

96 SW2 5-Speed 140K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lodogg2221's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lodogg2221 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lodogg2221 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #22
hein
Advanced Member
hein is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2
1998 SW2

I secured the front frame/box with 4 screws and the rear with two towards the back. It kinda locks into the interior body contours so it's really very secure. I took it in and out of there many times while building and trimming it out. Only takes a few minutes to totally remove it. The most work would be taking out and putting back the OEM plastic piece under the seat bottom. It's bolted on with the seat belt bolts which can be difficult to remove. Other than that, most of the stuff goes in/out easily. Perhaps the box can be designed to fit over it (the plastic piece) but then no room for the sub.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #23
cfg83
Advanced Member
cfg83 is on a distinguished road

hein -

I *really* like that you can also use this mod for a sedan. If the sedan is a "working car" with tools and stuff, someone can do this. The wagons are best for hauling tools, but there are more sedans out there.

Here's a silly question. This would work on a 3rd-gen S-Series, yes?

CarloSW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cfg83's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cfg83 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:55 PM   #24
Lodogg2221
Lodogg2221 is on a distinguished road

What size wheels/tires are you running? Also, did you lower it or is that an illusion?

96 SW2 5-Speed 140K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lodogg2221's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lodogg2221 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lodogg2221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #25
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hein View Post
Thanks for those volume numbers, ruley73. I'll try to model up a box for 2 drivers with about 4 cubic ft. Can you suggest some reasonably priced speakers that I can design for?
Here are Crutchfield links to some popular moderately priced models. Usually the "Hands-On Research" section will have the info you're looking for. If not, just look in the "What's In The Box?" section on the right and you will find a link to the owners manual of the product you are looking at. Manufacturers generally do a pretty good job of specifying the dimensions for the best enclosure in the owners manual.

JL Audio 12WX-4
Pioneer TS-W303R
Infinity 1262w
Alpine SWR-1243D
Kenwood KFC-W3012
Kicker 10C124

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #26
DragonWagon
DragonWagon is on a distinguished road

I have a '98 SW2, but I couldn't justify spending the money on plans, I would probably throw a piece of wood down and call it a bed. Yours does look really good though.

How much did it cost for the whole build?
in time and money, if ya don't mind.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DragonWagon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DragonWagon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DragonWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #27
hein
Advanced Member

1995 SW2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodogg2221 View Post
What size wheels/tires are you running? Also, did you lower it or is that an illusion?
17x7 wheels with 215-45 tires. It's lowered on Eibach springs but I have 1/4" thick plastic shims between the strut mounts and the body to reduce the drop a little. I sell the shims so PM me if you need some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonWagon View Post
I have a '98 SW2, but I couldn't justify spending the money on plans, I would probably throw a piece of wood down and call it a bed. Yours does look really good though.

How much did it cost for the whole build?
in time and money, if ya don't mind.
Didn't really keep track but I'm guessing $200+ in materials (not including sub + amp) and maybe 40 hours time including making templates.

If you remove just the bottom rear seat cushion then the back lays down flat. Just toss in a foam pad and you're car camping. I've done that a few times before doing this project.

I'd be willing to make up the plans and let someone verify them with a similar build. PM me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2010, 12:42 AM   #28
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

HECK YEAH!!!!!! amazing work, I've been looking for a wagon to go camping in and now I need to do this, amazing work Hein

I might be interested in getting those plans from you also

Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturninin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturninin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:33 AM   #29
Saturninin

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

also, looking further all of those supports are wooden correct?

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturninin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #30
hein
Advanced Member

1995 SW2
1998 SW2

The flat pieces and top panels are all 3/4" (19mm) LDF.
But the top panels could easily by 3/8" (9mm) thick.
The square cross members are 2x2 pine.
Inside paint is Rustoleum black texture spray.
Top of the panels are Rustoleum multicolor texture spray
(color is Desert Bisque to match the interior)

The plans would simply be full sized templates for all the pieces in pdf format.
You can have them printed on a large format printer at your local copy center.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hein's Reputation
Old 08-11-2010, 12:02 AM   #31
cfg83
Advanced Member
cfg83 is on a distinguished road

hein -

Quote:

If you remove just the bottom rear seat cushion then the back lays down flat. Just toss in a foam pad and you're car camping. I've done that a few times before doing this project.

Yeah, I did that with my 1997 SC2. Can't remember why, though. Maybe I was looking for quarters, .

CarloSW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cfg83's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cfg83 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:54 PM   #32
Saturninin

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

Quote:
The flat pieces and top panels are all 3/4" (19mm) LDF.
But the top panels could easily by 3/8" (9mm) thick.
The square cross members are 2x2 pine.
Inside paint is Rustoleum black texture spray.
Top of the panels are Rustoleum multicolor texture spray
(color is Desert Bisque to match the interior)

The plans would simply be full sized templates for all the pieces in pdf format.
You can have them printed on a large format printer at your local copy center.
Thank you for this info

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #33
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I took out the whole back seat in my coupe, was thinking about making a custom speaker thingy like in the 350Z, and the trunk would extend a bit. Get rid of the package tray, weld in a bar to keep the rear stabilized (I race, too) and have a slick looking 2 seater with some good trunk space. Wish I could remove the roof, too, but would loose too much structural rigidity.

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #34
hein
Advanced Member

1995 SW2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksc2 View Post
I took out the whole back seat in my coupe, was thinking about making a custom speaker thingy like in the 350Z, and the trunk would extend a bit. Get rid of the package tray, weld in a bar to keep the rear stabilized (I race, too) and have a slick looking 2 seater with some good trunk space. Wish I could remove the roof, too, but would loose too much structural rigidity.
You should do it because that sounds like a cool idea. (except for removing the roof) Any pics of the 350Z? I have a wrecked 97 coupe in the JY so I might have a look to see if the contour behind the seat is the same as my wagon. Once you have frame with a level top it is not nearly as difficult to make templates for the top.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hein's Reputation
Old 04-29-2011, 10:22 PM   #35
netracer13
netracer13 will become famous soon enoughnetracer13 will become famous soon enough

1996 SL2
1995 SW2

This is very cool. I applaud you for bring back the "Business Coupe" type option that Chevy had back in the 50's. Of course the business coupe option was only on coupes but it was mainly a rear seat delete option with a platform in place of the rear seat. I also like that you have hidden the sub in there. Glad you could share.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to netracer13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help netracer13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
netracer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:36 PM   #36
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by netracer13 View Post
This is very cool. I applaud you for bring back the "Business Coupe" type option that Chevy had back in the 50's. Of course the business coupe option was only on coupes but it was mainly a rear seat delete option with a platform in place of the rear seat. I also like that you have hidden the sub in there. Glad you could share.
As far as "bringing back" that sort of thing, I'm pretty sure Chevy started selling the HHR Panel before he did this, but Hein still deserves props for a job well done.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #37
jeffyork40
jeffyork40 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

That is just flat out smack ! Love it. I like how people here are as offbeat as I am and use imagination and their talents to do some amazing things like this wagon. I like to go to events and used to drive my 6mpg motorhome. Well with the price of gas those days are gone. I could see how this vehicle would be perfect for the weekend air show/air race, NASCAR or SCCA race or whatever. How about pulling one of those cool tear drop campers ? Painted and with wheels to match you would be the hit everywhere you went. Now I want a SW to go with our SL2. Brother, your car is over the top cool

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jeffyork40's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jeffyork40 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jeffyork40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:05 AM   #38
Saturninin

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyork40 View Post
That is just flat out smack ! Love it. I like how people here are as offbeat as I am and use imagination and their talents to do some amazing things like this wagon. I like to go to events and used to drive my 6mpg motorhome. Well with the price of gas those days are gone. I could see how this vehicle would be perfect for the weekend air show/air race, NASCAR or SCCA race or whatever. How about pulling one of those cool tear drop campers ? Painted and with wheels to match you would be the hit everywhere you went. Now I want a SW to go with our SL2. Brother, your car is over the top cool
I love hein's design also, (part of the reason why I bought my wagon :P ) but since i'm in collage I can't get rid of those rear seats, but am planing on doing something semi-like his idea :P

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #39
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1

i see where you got your inspiration from, Nick, haha.

Just recline your seat and sleep like i do

'02 SL1.414213562^2, Deebs ftw

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlexofNazareth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #40
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to all

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

That is totally cool!

I don't know when the change was made, but newer wagons had the metal crossbar across the seatbacks for safety in a side-impact collision. The older SW's didn't have that (like my Sw2) and thus the older SWs's rear seat folds flat (and I can fold down either side by itself rather than just the right side).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote