SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #21
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Alternator Pulley? Saturn Doesn't Have the Tool? HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
The Astra has been made since 1991...so yes; the tool should be available.
Of course it's available.... in Europe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #22
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
The Astra has been made since 1991...so yes; the tool should be available.
That's why I specifically referred to the current "H/C" generation with our Z18XER engine. Whether or not the exact same alternator (with the exact same pulley) was used prior to 2004 is rather moot.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:55 AM   #23
pwise952
pwise952 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Glad I found this thread... I was planning on taking my Astra in soon for this exact issue. So I may as well ask...

Has anyone dealing with the issue been to a Boston, MA area Saturn/GM dealer?

Just trying to see what shops to avoid...

2008 Red Saturn Astra XR 5 door - 5 Spd
17" Saab 9-5 Alloys, Boomerang Armrest, DVD/NAV

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pwise952's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pwise952 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pwise952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:49 PM   #24
luke.111
luke.111 is on a distinguished road

Quick update on my situation. To refresh, after waiting 2 months for the "mystery" tool to install the revised pulley, my alternator pulley seized up completely on 8/14. The dealership then ordered a whole new alternator for me that was supposed to arrive on 8/19 (no), then 8/24 (no), then I was told it should arrive on 8/31 (today).

My personal belief is that the writing's on the wall for U.S. parts availability for the Saturn Astra. Of all the things "new" GM is dealing with, my guess is that this low-volume compact car from "old" GM is super low priority. This is just my personal suspicion; I'm not advocating that it's correct or that others should feel this way. In any case, last week I was able to buy a used alternator from a wrecked Astra (lucky find!). I had it installed, then traded the car in towards a Mazda 3.

I called my Chevy dealer today, first to inquire about the part, then to let them know that I no longer have the vehicle. Guess what? The alternator did not show up. Had I not found the used alternator, that car still would have been off the road 2+ weeks after the initial breakdown. I thanked the Chevy dealer for their efforts, since it's really not their fault, let them know I did not have the car any more, then gave them the contact information for the Mazda dealership that now possesses the car if they wanted to arrange to still do the work when (if?) the alternator comes in.

I've really enjoyed participating in this forum, and wish the best to all Saturn Astra owners, especially those dealing with this issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to luke.111's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help luke.111 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
luke.111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:42 AM   #25
pwise952
pwise952 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke.111 View Post
In any case, last week I was able to buy a used alternator from a wrecked Astra (lucky find!). I had it installed, then traded the car in towards a Mazda 3.
FYI If anyone else is looking to go this route, there are 50+ used alternators scattered around the country at various junk yards, most for less the $100. Check out car-part.com . My experience has been that most are willing to ship for the nominal UPS cost.

2008 Red Saturn Astra XR 5 door - 5 Spd
17" Saab 9-5 Alloys, Boomerang Armrest, DVD/NAV

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pwise952's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pwise952 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pwise952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #26
luke.111
luke.111 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwise952 View Post
FYI If anyone else is looking to go this route, there are 50+ used alternators scattered around the country at various junk yards, most for less the $100. Check out car-part.com . My experience has been that most are willing to ship for the nominal UPS cost.
Cool site. I should qualify my "lucky find" as one that was local; so I was able to buy and install on the same day.

Perusing the list at car-parts.com, it appears that "LSQ of North Texas" has 9 alternators that they were able to part from Astras. That seems high for just one junkyard, especially given how few of these are on the road in the first place - what's going on down there?!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to luke.111's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help luke.111 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
luke.111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #27
cavalier
cavalier is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke.111 View Post
Cool site. I should qualify my "lucky find" as one that was local; so I was able to buy and install on the same day.

Perusing the list at car-parts.com, it appears that "LSQ of North Texas" has 9 alternators that they were able to part from Astras. That seems high for just one junkyard, especially given how few of these are on the road in the first place - what's going on down there?!
My guess is that it's from the floods down there, so buyer beware.

These kinds of places will take cars that have been scrapped due to flood damage and will pick them apart like vultures, since they cannot sell the car as a whole again.

Really sucks to be an Astra owner (which I'm not but I sympathize).

I'm guessing none will ever buy a GM product again (and rightfully so).

Given how few that were sold, maybe GM should offer a buy-back seeing as how they clearly don't want to service these vehicles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cavalier's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cavalier reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:26 AM   #28
everyshadeofblu
everyshadeofblu is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I have the exact same issue...for the second time! I had my pulley and serpentine belt replaced a few months ago but the noise is back again. take it to the dealer on tuesday.....fingers crossed!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to everyshadeofblu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help everyshadeofblu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
everyshadeofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:08 AM   #29
Nightwalker
Nightwalker is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-2 Sedan

So, would this throw an error code if it happened?

My Astra started sounding like hell when I turn the air-conditioner on, and the check engine light came on this morning.

Also, what is the warranty period on the car? I'm about 5 miles shy of 36k right now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nightwalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nightwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #30
elvinrodr
elvinrodr is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
1995 SL2

The revised pulley is different than the pulley that's on the car. It is not held on by the nut on the original. Hence the need for the tool to install it. I would not fault the dealer. They are in the same boat you are with parts availability, technical support, and most of all factory help.

91 SL2M
93 SL2A

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to elvinrodr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help elvinrodr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
elvinrodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #31
Gary F.
Gary F. is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
1993 SW2

An update on the "chirp" noise...took our 2008 Astra XR to the local Saturn authorized service center along with a copy of the service bulletin 10-06-01-001: Chirp Noise from Accessory Drive Belt with A/C Compressor On (Replace Generator Pulley) - (Jan 11, 2010). They acknowledged the problem and stated they would have to order the part, which should take about a week to arrive. Also the tech showed me that you could see the serpentine belt moving slightly back and forth (runout) as the engine was idling. A little over a week later they called and said the part was in. Took the car in and they completed the work in 2 to 3 hours. The replacement generator pulley is a silver alloy color. There is no visible runout on the belt as the engine runs. The chirping noise is completely gone, and so far, the engine sounds smooth and quiet during any driving condition with A/C on or off. The dealer was Brown & Wood GMC in Greenville, NC. Note my son also has a 2008 Astra XR and has never had this problem, however his mother in law's 2008 Astra XE does have the problem. Have sent her a copy of the service bulletin from this website to take to her service tech, so will see how it goes for her.

Gary F.

2008 Saturn Astra 5-Door XR, Arctic White, Auto, Sunroof, Sport Handling
2001 Land Rover Discovery II
1993 Saturn SW2 (gave to son at 300K mi)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gary F.'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gary F. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gary F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:31 AM   #32
exy
exy is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

Both my Astras had the problem, and I got them both fixed. They replaced the alternator and what not, and the problem went away.

It took a total of 10 months until they fixed it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to exy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help exy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
exy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #33
veromango
veromango is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2007 VUE 3.0L

I haven't read all of the replies, AdAstra, but I wanted to share that this is the exact same problem that happened with mine a few months ago. I took it to Champion Chevrolet South, which was supposed to be a Saturn Certified Service dealer. Well, my husband and I went in because the engine light just wouldn't turn off and there was a grinding-ish noise every time I'd take off. They had told us that the there was something wrong with the alternator pulley (I'm not too familiar with vehicle mechanics, so correct me if I say something weird), and the bolts were basically corroded and wouldn't come off. We left the car for about a week. When we had picked it up, I had driven, maybe, 3 miles when the a/c went out. I forgot what my husband had said when I called him (he was following me home), but he mentioned that maybe it was something that could be easily fixed when we got home. We weren't that far from home. I got to the neighborhood, then the car sounded like it was pulling a string of aluminum cans along with it and started losing power when I'd give it gas. When I pulled into the driveway, my husband popped the hood. Black smoke bursts out and the orange fluid (I just forgot what it was called... lol) started boiling to where it just emptied out, completely. I swear... I thought that my car was gonna explode... lol.

My husband saw that those morons didn't connect some of the parts back together after they decided to take it apart. So, he got them to pay for a tow truck to take it back. They kept the car for about a month and kept giving stupid excuses about the parts. It just kept going on and on until the regional manager got involved, and my husband told him that he's tired of the runaround. If they didn't fix the car to where nothing would go wrong because of what they did to it, then they're buying it back for the amount that I taken to finance it. They replaced the alternator, and I got it back a few days, after. It's been running pretty smoothly until about a week ago. The grinding noise is back, and, since no other dealership around where I live aren't able to work on it, I'm going to try my luck with Champion again, next week. So, basically, I've had it for about 3 weeks without any problems. :/

I love that car, and I had planned on keeping it. It's been broken into, rear ended and almost destroyed by a dealership, but it's still holding on.

Last edited by veromango; 11-23-2010 at 02:12 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to veromango's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help veromango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
veromango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #34
Petroleum
Petroleum is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

This noise is the bane of my driving experience.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Petroleum's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Petroleum reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Petroleum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #35
Robor007
Advanced Member
Robor007 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

It is ridiculous GM is not replacing these defective parts under an as-needed recall. If mine is not covered, I'm trading it in on a non-GM car (likely Ford, Japanese, or Korean) and will NEVER purchase another GM vehicle again.

2008 Astra XR3 door 5sp - Silver Sand with premium trim, 18" rims, and advanced audio. (new owner as of 12/15)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Robor007's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Robor007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Robor007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #36
Saturnastra
Saturnastra is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Generator Pulley - Tool to fix hard to get?

Chirping sound upon acceleration after a stop, also chirping when stopped and in "drive". For the last 2 yrs I've been going back and forth to the Chevy dealer, in the summer only of course, and as soon as I arrive at the dealer, the noise doesn't manifest itself. The serviceman heard a small chirp and told me "that chirping noise? That is nothing and it won't hurt your car". The manager told me to come whenever I hear it again and they will come right out and listen (at this point, everyone thought I was a nut job). TWO more times I went to them and AGAIN the sound wasn't there. Then I noticed that it was louder and longer when it was VERY hot - like 90-95 degrees hot and it seemed like humidity was also a factor. I told them this OVER AND OVER, so today in the 96 deg heat in Phila, I went up for the 3rd year in a row. Serviceman came out and FINALLY the car chirped as loud as it ever has and they heard it. He has given me a Service Bulletin #10-06-01-001: CHIRP NOISE FROM ACCESSORY DRIVE BELT WITH A/C COMPRESSOR ON (REPLACE GENERATOR PULLEY - (JAN 11, 2010). The part should come in a week, HOWEVER, the TOOL to fix it could take longer. He's going to call me when they come in and they need the car for a day. He said he didn't understand why someone didn't know this before this, since this is what I had been telling them all along. I HOPE THIS WILL SOLVE THE PROBLEM after these 3 summers from hell. Everyone stares at my car at a red light or stop sign and they told me that "it is normal for it to sound like that"????
Wish me luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturnastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturnastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturnastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #37
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robor007 View Post
It is ridiculous GM is not replacing these defective parts under an as-needed recall. If mine is not covered, I'm trading it in on a non-GM car (likely Ford, Japanese, or Korean) and will NEVER purchase another GM vehicle again.
Recalls are for major issues, not "annoyances". This goes for all automotive manufactuers, including "Ford, Japanese, or Korean".

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #38
Robor007
Advanced Member
Robor007 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra La Vista! View Post
Recalls are for major issues, not "annoyances". This goes for all automotive manufactuers, including "Ford, Japanese, or Korean".
It's not an 'annoyance' when it's noticeably dragging down my MPG (~ 10% now) and another owner reported the belt failing. That's not a dash rattle (got that too), that's a problem that should be fixed by the manufacturer.

As far as support... Dimmit Chevy in Clearwater was originally an authorized Saturn repair shop. I took my car to them for repairs under warranty. They checked in the car and never even looked at it. Two business days later I picked it up and took it to Autoway where the work was done. The Chevy dealer wants nothing to do with GMs ******* child (Saturn) and less with the Euro step son (Astra). I'm guessing many GM dealers feel the same way.

Mine is at a Mazda dealer right now waiting to get the factory radio put back in. I got $9250 for a trade in with 37000 miles. Flawless other than a scratch down the side and small dent in the roof.

2008 Astra XR3 door 5sp - Silver Sand with premium trim, 18" rims, and advanced audio. (new owner as of 12/15)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Robor007's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Robor007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Robor007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:32 PM   #39
smwalker
smwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

On the Kent More site it is stated the puller is for Saab's. They probably got 14 of them sitting around! Wonder if you headed over to the Saab Dealership They would loan it to you. Woudln't that be great to go back to the GM Dealership: "Here, now fix it!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to smwalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help smwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
smwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:56 AM   #40
smwalker
smwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

So I gather the astra alternator pulley 55560294 is a "clutch" type yes? Seeing a lot of references to freewheel clutch generator. Anyone confirm?

Video showing how they fail/work
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=fyosu...%3DfyosuYbPxr4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to smwalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help smwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
smwalker is offline   Reply With Quote