SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
AdAstra
AdAstra will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
1999 SL2
Dizzy Alternator Pulley? Saturn Doesn't Have the Tool? HELP!

So, last summer I take my Astra in to Saturn because it's making a grumbling/chirping noise when I take off from a standstill with the a/c on. Was told the accessory belt tensioner was bad and would be replaced under warranty. That took care of the problem.

When I started using the a/c again this summer the exact same thing starts happening again... grumbling/chirping noise on take off with the a/c on. This time it took me THREE visits to the Saturn dealership... the first two times they claimed they couldn't hear anything/find anything wrong. Third time, they hear it and say it's the accessory belt tensioner again but that they can't fix it yet because they have to order the tool they need to make the repair from GM?!?

A month goes by (waiting for this tool to come in), the grumbling/chirping is getting worse, and I start experiencing the a/c compressor making loud wining/moaning noises and the a/c blowing warm air intermittently. So, I go back to Saturn for them to check on the a/c and to ask about the status of this this tool and they tell me what's really wrong... it's not the tensioner (as they had originally told me) but the alternator pulley that's bad and the tool they need to remove the pulley is in the process of being manufactured by GM?????

Is it just me or does that sound like a load of ****? Has anyone else on here experienced anything remotely like this with their Astra? They told me there's nothing else they can do for me until this tool comes in (1-2 months) and that I shouldn't take any long trips in the meantime.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AdAstra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AdAstra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AdAstra is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2010, 06:26 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Alternator Pulley? Saturn Doesn't Have the Tool? HELP!

Something's fishy about your dealer. Here's a drawing of your Astra alternator, looking like any other alternator. Either they're stalling for your warranty to run out or reluctant to replace the entire unit as almost everyone does. Risking more damage to belt driven components as well as less cooling circulation from a slipping belt leading to overheating possibilities. Less charging to the battery. All possibilities because the dealer is reluctant to simply replace the alternator? I don't know policy but replacing just the pulley seems to be an excuse not to replace the alternator under warranty. Perhaps a call to another dealer, GM?, may give you a better idea of warranty policy.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Astra alternator.gif (34.4 KB, 197 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
AdAstra

2008 Astra XR
1999 SL2

Thanks for your response, fdryer! I hadn't thought about that, but it would seem that replacing the alternator would be the obvious solution. Seems to me they're stringing me along and trying to stall until cooler weather comes (when I'm not using and a/c and it's not making the noise) and then the tool will magically appear and they will "fix-it."

I'm going to request that they replace the alternator... I'm very interested to see what their response will be! I love my Astra but I've lost all faith in GM's ability (or willingness) to maintain/service them!

2008 Astra XR 3-Door, Black Sapphire, 4-Speed Auto

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AdAstra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
polizzi82
polizzi82 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Something's fishy about your dealer. Here's a drawing of your Astra alternator, looking like any other alternator. Either they're stalling for your warranty to run out or reluctant to replace the entire unit as almost everyone does. Risking more damage to belt driven components as well as less cooling circulation from a slipping belt leading to overheating possibilities. Less charging to the battery. All possibilities because the dealer is reluctant to simply replace the alternator? I don't know policy but replacing just the pulley seems to be an excuse not to replace the alternator under warranty. Perhaps a call to another dealer, GM?, may give you a better idea of warranty policy.
where's you get that sweet drawing? a pdf repair guide for our car?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to polizzi82's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help polizzi82 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
polizzi82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Although I've never removed a pulley from an alternator, it seems to me (if I'm not mistaken) that restraining the pulley from rotating to loosen the locknut is the most difficult task followed by either the pulley falling off the shaft or a 3-jaw puller will remove it. This isn't rocket science, just plain mechanics. Sometimes a spanner wrench is used for special occasions. Perhaps a spanner wrench is needed here. If so then its still no excuse for a shop not to have one if that's all that's needed to replace a pulley or alternator and retain the pulley.

The drawing is from the FSM. Electronic versions of the FSM's are on the internet. Search and ye shall find.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra View Post
...and the tool they need to remove the pulley is in the process of being manufactured by GM?????

Is it just me or does that sound like a load of ****? Has anyone else on here experienced anything remotely like this with their Astra? They told me there's nothing else they can do for me until this tool comes in (1-2 months) and that I shouldn't take any long trips in the meantime.
That's BS. Kindly explain to them that this vehicle has existed in its current form in Europe and other places around the world as the Opel/Vauxhall/Holden/Chevy Astra H/C since March of 2004. It was the second most popular car sold in Europe, right behind the Golf. The tool, if it is really needed, exists -- and it exists in large numbers.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:58 AM   #7
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

u need to use an impact gun to remove the nut on the alternator pulley, not a wrench.

Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 72gssaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 72gssaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
dmumbles
dmumbles is on a distinguished road

[I] have the astra 2008 and last year it did the same thing. It wasn't as bad last year. This summer, I can hear the grumbling /whistling sound everytime I start it up ang go. The dealership told me , when I brought it in last year, that it was a normal sound that all astras had. I call b*llsh*it. I am taking it to the gm dealer until I get it fixed this year. I am definitely taking all this info with meto the dealer or find a mechanic shop that does warranty work to stick it to GM. I love this little car but am not buying a GM ever again. I think I am going the Suburu route.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dmumbles's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dmumbles reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dmumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:52 PM   #9
AdAstra

2008 Astra XR
1999 SL2

Yeah, that gets me too... the Opel/Vauxhall Astra has been one of the most popular cars in its class in Europe for the past 6 years, yet GM doesn't seem to have a clue as to how to service them here in the U.S. nor do they seem to keep enough parts in stock! WTF? So we're left with these great little cars that we dearly love that are falling apart because we can't get them serviced properly!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #10
foster
foster is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

I have the same problem

I find that if I don't lug the engine when starting out (which is hard because the A/C sucks so much power) I don't get the chirp, but I still get a startup clatter, which I assumed was some sort of oil starvation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to foster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help foster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #11
Gary F.
Gary F. is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
1993 SW2

Following this thread with interest, as I experience this same noise when starting to drive. Originally I thought, as some others have opined, that it was a slipping serpentine belt. But after listening to it a lot more, I don't think it could be a slipping belt, just does not sound like that. Also I don't see how it could possibly be a faulty belt tensioner, as it only makes the sound when you drive away the first time and does not seem to come back until the car is shut off for awhile. Having the A/C on makes it worse but it will make the noise whether A/C is on or off. I do frequent oil changes with synthetic oil and would find it hard to accept thats its related to oil starvation in value train, etc. but truly I am at a loss. Have not taken it to dealer as yet. This is puzzling . . .

Gary F.

2008 Saturn Astra 5-Door XR, Arctic White, Auto, Sunroof, Sport Handling
2001 Land Rover Discovery II
1993 Saturn SW2 (gave to son at 300K mi)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gary F.'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gary F. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gary F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:33 PM   #12
gaurdien
gaurdien will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

We have had the same issues.First time they replaced the tensioner and all was well for about 6 or so months. Came back again in June and just had it in a week or so ago. This time replaced belt tensioner again and found a bad motor mount. all done under warranty. Interesting note when they got the mount in they noticed it was worse than the bad one on the car.

Good things are happening..........., somewhere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gaurdien's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gaurdien reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gaurdien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #13
AdAstra

2008 Astra XR
1999 SL2

Original poster here... Ok, so the Saturn Dealership called me last Friday morning to say that they had magically come up with a way to replace the alternator pulley without the elusive tool from outer space (which I don't believe actually exists!). They said they can take the alternator out, replace the pulley, and put it back in.

So, I take it to the shop and have them perform this repair (they also put a new belt on) and it seems to have fixed the problem (for now, anyway!!!). No more chirp/grumble with the a/c on and the acceleration is MUCH smoother. I can actually see where they replaced the pulley because it is silver (the original was black).

But now I'm going to have to take it back AGAIN because the horn is AGAIN not working (or only working intermittently, I should say)!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2010, 11:26 PM   #14
BlackHawkTrafic
BlackHawkTrafic is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

I have to wait till the 16th for this tool to come to the dealership so I can have the piece replaced, funny the idiots at the dealership I take it to didnt think to order both at the same time, while having my car for two weeks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BlackHawkTrafic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BlackHawkTrafic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BlackHawkTrafic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:50 PM   #15
sc1twntrbo
sc1twntrbo is on a distinguished road

my 08 has the same problem but the dealer swears they cant duplicate the problem

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc1twntrbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc1twntrbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sc1twntrbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:23 PM   #16
AdAstra

2008 Astra XR
1999 SL2

Yep, I got that from my dealership, too! It took me two months and three visits for them to finally hear it. I finally just went by the dealership one day when I didn't have an appointment when it was really hot and humid out (that always made the noise more pronounced) and they finally heard it... although they couldn't fix it then, of course!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #17
Way2QWK
Way2QWK is on a distinguished road

there is a bulletin for this concern......

10-06-01-001: Chirp Noise from Accessory Drive Belt with A/C Compressor On (Replace Generator Pulley) - (Jan 11, 2010)
Subject: Chirp Noise from Accessory Drive Belt with A/C Compressor On (Replace Generator Pulley)
models: 2008-2009 Saturn Astra
Equipped with Automatic Transmission (RPO MNF)

Condition
Some customers may comment on a chirp, or other similar noise, from the engine compartment of the vehicle. The noise will typically be heard when accelerating from a stop, between 800-1800 RPM. This is more noticeable on humid days with the A/C on.

Correction
When diagnosing this noise, remove the accessory drive belt (refer to Drive Belt Removal in SI) and test drive the vehicle for a very short distance. If the noise has gone away, replace the generator pulley with GM P/N 55560294.

Note: SPX Kent-Moore tool number 8395923 is required for this bulletin.

***Saturn Tech and owner of Planet Automotive in Tucson AZ. Specializing in Saturn repairs.

94 SW2- custom intake and ported throttle body
2003 Saturn Vue 3.0 v6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Way2QWK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Way2QWK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Way2QWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:01 AM   #18
Saturnmyth
Saturnmyth is on a distinguished road

Hello! I joined this forum seeking advice on what to do for my car and I'm glad I found this thread.

My car is also having the same problem, but I am having no end of problems with Saturn itself. From an owners standpoint I am furious and running out of options, and I'm not sure where to proceed at this point.

The Saturn dealership where I go to get my car to be serviced is an hour away for me, meaning if I drive there for repairs it is a big deal. When I first heard this noise I wanted to get it checked out but it took them two separate occasions to diagnose the noise. AFter telling me what they have to do to fix it, they told me they needed to order "a part" and that it would be in their store by June 28th.

A month goes by and no one has contacted me. "JJ", the representative who was helping me, tells me that the part is some specialized "Drill bit" that there are only two of in the nation and that Indiana is number 26 on a list of states waiting to receive it. He says that the tool will remove screws around the drive section of the car and that only this tool will do, and they can't work on the car without it. Again, not knowing any better I agree to wait one more month.

I call back and they tell me the part is due to ship on July 28th, and will be at the dealership by August 4th.

The next week I'm furious. Not only did I have to call repeatedly because the representative was unable to return my calls but when I do contact them, I'm informed that the part still hasn't shipped. I'm promised by their parts manager that they will contact me by Wednesday the 18th at the latest.

I call them Friday morning after stopping by my sister who is in the hospital after giving birth to my niece. (Hooray!) There JJ tells me the truth: That they knew nothing about what the part was in the first place, that it's actually some sort of wrench that they need to remove the bolts on the pulley system itself, and that Saturn is no longer releasing the part. He says I need to contact a GM representative and ask them what to do next and that from a dealer's standpoint they cannot do anything further. I asked him why he gave me false information and why he never returned my calls and he acted disinterested and said "There is nothing I can do."

I am going in Monday morning and speaking with his supervisor. As a dealer they have done nothing to assist me with repairing my car. They have wasted my time and I don't know about other people who have this problem with their car but it's loud. VERY LOUD. I hit the gas at a red light and it sounds like a tea kettle boiling.

Does anyone have any advice? Also, at the dealership they keep saying "Oh yeah, your car is perfectly fine, it's just a loud noise" but considering they don't know anything about the problem should I be worried about my car? I drive for my work and at one point their service manager told me "Your car is fine, just don't drive cross country in it." I visit family members in Illinois, Michigan, and Kentucky! While those states are not that far away I drive enough that this could be a problem!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturnmyth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturnmyth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturnmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:25 AM   #19
luke.111
luke.111 is on a distinguished road

This is TROUBLE.

I had the same problem: A/C on, high humidity, squeal when accelerating from a stop. My dealership identified the alternator pulley problem in early June, and was able to get the revised pulley within a few weeks. They've been waiting for the "mystery" tool to do the swap ever since.

In the meantime, my pulley totally seized up and my car's been off the road for nearly two weeks. So they offered to replace the whole alternator. It was supposed to arrive last Thursday (8/19) - nothing. Then this Tuesday (8/24) - nothing. Now they're being told it should be in next Tuesday. I believe them when they say that's what they're being told, but I have no belief whatsoever that the part will actually show up any time soon.

I think it's highly unlikely that our dealerships are independently trying to screw us in the same systematic way. That's not to say they've all handled it in the best possible way (though I think mine has been good), but there's got to be something else wrong higher up in the supply chain that's causing them all to come up with the same missed delivery dates, broken promises, etc.

I would feel much better if it was just the poor work of individual dealerships on this issue. Then we could just switch dealerships and be done with it. But that's clearly not the case. Plus, while this "tool" might be readily available in other parts of the world due to the Astra's popularity, we don't know that for sure, and it doesn't seem like GM is trying to find out. Has anyone tried to make any inquiries with Vauxhall or Opel?

As a side note, I called another dealership just to inquire about buying a new alternator. They quoted me, just for the part, $621 (!), and said, "It would take a few days to to come in." Little do they know...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to luke.111's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help luke.111 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
luke.111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:22 PM   #20
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra La Vista! View Post
That's BS. Kindly explain to them that this vehicle has existed in its current form in Europe and other places around the world as the Opel/Vauxhall/Holden/Chevy Astra H/C since March of 2004. It was the second most popular car sold in Europe, right behind the Golf. The tool, if it is really needed, exists -- and it exists in large numbers.
The Astra has been made since 1991...so yes; the tool should be available.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote