SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
n3wb
n3wb is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
Default '93 SL2 Manual window regulator repair?

Does anyone have step by step instructions on how to replace the regulator? I took off the paneling on the inside, but have no idea where to go from there!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to n3wb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help n3wb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
n3wb is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2
Default Re: '93 SL2 Manual window regulator repair?

You have to remove the outer panel. If you visit our How-To Library (from the main forums page, or use "Forum Jump" below), I'm sure you'll find a thread on this job. And/or, there's probably a youtube video by our richpin06, also reachable from the How-To Library.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
n3wb

1993 SL2

Hi, thanks for your reply.

The only thread I could find that looked really useful was this one: saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=864861

Unfortunately, the page that contains the tutorial (it's linked to in the thread) isn't working anymore, so the thread is of no help.

Does anyone know of another guide?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to n3wb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help n3wb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Posts 15 and 16 of the original thread you found should have all the steps.

But alas, it looks like there's no richpin video on the subject. Somebody will just have to sneak up to Taxachussetts one dark night and fry out one of his regulators.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
n3wb

1993 SL2

So, will removing the outer door panel give me the access I need to replace the regulator?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to n3wb's Reputation
Old 07-22-2010, 09:15 PM   #6
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

http://www.differentracing.com/tech_articles/index.html

^ ^ ^ diagrams & How to remove outer door skin and window regulator. Look in the "body - exterior" section. The regulator one is for 2nd/3rd gen but for your 1st gen should be similar.

Once you have it open/out, you should be able to see how it works and what the problem is.

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction? Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p 102k @ purchase, now 169k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
n3wb

1993 SL2

Thanks, that will help out a lot!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to n3wb's Reputation
Old 07-23-2010, 03:12 PM   #8
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

No need to thank me, that's Low Saturn's website - send him a PM and tell him he's awesome for keeping the website up

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction? Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p 102k @ purchase, now 169k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-23-2010, 05:54 PM   #9
n3wb

1993 SL2

I've kept working on this today and finally was able to get the outer door panel off! (a major achievement for someone like me with no car repair experience whatsoever).

However, I'm a little unsure of how to proceed from here. The page linked to above (differentracing.com) says to remove the window. Is that necessary? And if so, how would I go about doing that? I'm terrified I'll break the window!

Here are some pictures showing where I'm at:

img186.imageshack.us/img186/2386/sidefar.jpg
img217.imageshack.us/img217/574/sideclose.jpg

And I also have no idea how to get these weird bolts off:
img185.imageshack.us/img185/8109/weirdbolt.jpg

Sorry about not posting those as links. Apparently I can't do that until I have 15 posts

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to n3wb's Reputation
Old 07-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #10
n3wb

1993 SL2

Are the four "bolts" (one is show in the last picture there) actually rivets? Should I just drill them out and replace them with actual bolts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to n3wb's Reputation
Old 07-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #11
alordofchaos
Master Member

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Congrats on your progress so far

I have a second gen, so I have no idea what your regulator setup is like. However, saturnfans has your back :
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ight=regulator

From reading that, it looks like you drill out the rivets and replace with nuts and bolts (and loctite). One post said you can hold the window up with a 2x4 or something while you work on the regulator - you should read the link above to the how to library, as they were discussing several different years of cars.

Are you replacing it, or trying to repair the regulator?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #12
n3wb

1993 SL2

Thanks, again, for your help!

I'm replacing the regulator. I don't think you can see it in the pictures, but the gear has been worn down to the point that there basically aren't any teeth left at one end.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to n3wb's Reputation
Old 07-27-2010, 03:10 PM   #13
n3wb

1993 SL2

Success! I finally got the new regulator installed yesterday and was able to get everything back together OK

Thanks again for your help guys!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to n3wb's Reputation
Old 07-27-2010, 03:32 PM   #14
alordofchaos
Master Member

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Another successful DIY!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-27-2010, 04:59 PM   #15
madpogue

1996 SW2

From "WTF?!" to "hey it works!" in five days and 15 posts. Quick study! They should put you to work on fixing the d@mn economy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!