SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
Carls_jr88
Carls_jr88 is on a distinguished road

Default 2001 L300 Oil Filter Housing

I've read a few posts about this but I'm just looking for clarification. During my last oil change, the mechanic told me that the oil filter housing was not coming off, and more specifically that as he tried to loosen it (the cap I'm assuming) that the whole assembly (housing i'm assuming) would just spin. After talking with a GM dealer service department, I was told that the only option might be to destroy the entire housing and replace it, and that job would take up to 1 1/2 hours. All in all, to get the parts I would be spending $160 for labor and about $130 for new parts. Are there any other options I should consider. I know this needs to be taken care of due to the negative affects of having an extra-old oil filter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Carls_jr88's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Carls_jr88 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Carls_jr88 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 L300 Oil Filter Housing

Welcome to 'Gorillas worked on my oil filter club'!? You'll read of past owners with the same issue. I too belong to this club. Overtightening the oil cap by morons. The cap is supposed to be screwed on with a new O-ring and bottomed using 11ft-lbs. Basically, the cap is screwed on and when it stops only a smidge more force is needed. The O-ring serves as the leak-proof seal against oil pressure. 'Gorillas' take this to the nth degree, never understanding how little force is needed, resulting in the cap being locked. Attempts to unscrew the oil cap, locked to the filter body, just spins both in place.

You can try grasping the oil filter body with a strap wrench to secure it from spinning while using an adjustable wrench on the oil cap to unscrew it. If done correctly, one hand holds onto the strap wrench while the other hand is on the adjustable wrench to allow turning both pieces in the opposite direction. Have both wrenches in a comfortable position for maximum leverage against both wrenches. You'll only have to use enough force to break the lock; as soon as the cap loosens force is reduced. Remove the cap, oil filter and wipe the inside housing of oil. Deep into the housing is a bolt that holds the housing to the engine block. Use a socket and medium extension to tighten this bolt to prevent the housing from spinning. This ensures that light tightening of the oil cap will enable easy removal the next time.

If a strap wrench isn't available you may be able to use a large pair of Channel lock pliers to grip the filter body. Be careful as the body is aluminum and can crush with force. Channel lock pliers don't distribute the gripping force around the housing the way a strap wrench can so use your judgement. Both cap and housing can be replaced in the event of mangling these parts. If you think this will occur then order replacements ahead of time. Either your local GM dealer will have these parts or can order them. Getsaturnparts.com may have these two items online too. They advertise here as a sponser.

Check past threads for pictures. Other members may have better suggestions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
McDevitt2003
McDevitt2003 is on a distinguished road

I had a similiar problem when I had the Chevy dealership change the oil on my 2002 L300. I could not get the drain plug out that had been mangled by the gorilla at the quickie oil change place so I had to take it to the dealership. It took them an hour to get the drain plug out. Since they couldn't get a new drain plug and I need the car back next morning, at my direction (i.e. they took no responsibility), they took a used plastic washer off an old cobalt drain plug and put it on my existing drain plug and re-installed. Worked great, no leaks.

Next oil change, I got the drain plug back off no problem with a pair of channel locks. Went to get the oil filter cover off and could not get it to budge. They had way over torqued it. In the process of getting it off, the cover cracked. Finally found a new cover for $20 at Mechanics Auto Parts. Dealership wanted $35.

Moral of the story is never let the gorillas change your oil. Ever!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to McDevitt2003's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help McDevitt2003 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
McDevitt2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDevitt2003 View Post
Next oil change, I got the drain plug back off no problem with a pair of channel locks. Went to get the oil filter cover off and could not get it to budge. They had way over torqued it. In the process of getting it off, the cover cracked. Finally found a new cover for $20 at Mechanics Auto Parts. Dealership wanted $35.

Thanks for the heads up. Glad I've only had my Saturn to an authorized dealership or done myself. Would think our drop in filter/cover design isn't so unknown these days... Oh well. As for the Cover costing $20-35 I'm glad my ION can use an AC Delco PF458G which is it's filter/cap as a unit... for around $13.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
Becky
Becky is on a distinguished road

The last time I got my oil changed, the oil change place told me to never bring my car back (that was after I had to take back because the oil leaked - they didn't leave the running long enough to check for leaks - idiots). Now it's time to get my oil changed and the one place I took it this time, told me that they couldn't do it (said they didn't have the oil filter). My Dad said that he would change the oil for me. Does anyone know if there is a video out their that shows how to change the oil in a 2001 Saturn L300 (V6)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Becky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Becky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDevitt2003 View Post
I had a similiar problem when I had the Chevy dealership change the oil on my 2002 L300. I could not get the drain plug out that had been mangled by the gorilla at the quickie oil change place so I had to take it to the dealership. It took them an hour to get the drain plug out. Since they couldn't get a new drain plug and I need the car back next morning, at my direction (i.e. they took no responsibility), they took a used plastic washer off an old cobalt drain plug and put it on my existing drain plug and re-installed. Worked great, no leaks.

Fumoto valve... Great investment! Get one with the nipple and use a piece of tubing for drip-less oil changes...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
Jonnyferrari
Jonnyferrari is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Looks like I'm joining the club. I continue to hate just tires, and they continue to deny over torqueing my canister housing. They are replacing the seal between the block and housing as we speak, but it better solve the problem as another shop quoted me almost 200 to replace the entire housing, filter and cap.

Proud owner of 2000 Saturn LS2 premium package; HELP ME KEEP IT ALIVE!! @114k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonnyferrari's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonnyferrari reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonnyferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
Jonnyferrari
Jonnyferrari is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

New O-Ring and tightened housing seems to be holding up. Must remind shops to hand tighten cap if I ever have one do my oil again.

Proud owner of 2000 Saturn LS2 premium package; HELP ME KEEP IT ALIVE!! @114k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonnyferrari's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonnyferrari reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonnyferrari is offline   Reply With Quote