SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2010, 07:19 AM   #1
ARECCE
ARECCE is on a distinguished road

Default ION Power Steering Motor Coverage

Not sure why they are not doing a recall, but they should since the motor is the same one that is in the Cobalt which has an active recall. I will be taking my ION in to get a new motor.

Special Coverage Adjustment – Power Steering Assist Bulletin 10187 July 2010

MODELS: 2004-2007 Saturn ION

CONDITION
Some customers of 2004-2007 model year Saturn ION vehicles, equipped with electric power steering, may experience a sudden loss of power steering assist, which could occur at any time while driving the vehicle. If the power steering assist is lost, a chime will be heard and the Message Center will display a "PWR STR" warning message. The vehicle can still be steered in a safe manner but will require greater driver effort at low vehicle speeds or when stopped. Typically, the next time the vehicle is started, the power steering assist will return and the "PWR STR" message would no longer be displayed.

SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT
This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 100,000 miles (160,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.
Retailers are to replace the power steering motor. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer. For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after July 21, 2010, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to July 21, 2010, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

VEHICLES INVOLVED
Involved are certain 2004-2007 model year Saturn ION vehicles equipped with electric power steering and built within the following VIN breakpoints:
Year Division Model From Through
2004 Saturn ION 4Z100001 4Z232317
2005 Saturn ION 5Z100001 5Z183690
2006 Saturn ION 6Z100001 6Z211250
2007 Saturn ION 7Z100001 7Z210512

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ARECCE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ARECCE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ARECCE is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
Diesel_Clatter
Diesel_Clatter is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: ION Power Steering Motor Coverage

I'm curious why the 2003 is not included? This sounds almost as good as a recall to me.

Great Minds Think alike...

So do we!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Diesel_Clatter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Diesel_Clatter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Diesel_Clatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

Did the 2003 have electric power steering, or did that start in 2004? That is the only reason I can think of that 2003 models would be excluded.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

they have to include it, all of them have it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
kg6mvb
kg6mvb will become famous soon enoughkg6mvb will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2002 SL2

Yes 2003 has it. So far so good with mine (knock on wood). They are probably waiting for me to hit 100k on mine (will happen around the end of the year at my current rate) before they add the 2003 in.

Proud to be a member of both the Ham Radio and Saturn Cults.

Avitar is a Saturn V rocket engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kg6mvb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kg6mvb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kg6mvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:00 PM   #6
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

maybe they didn't put it on there because most of them are above 100,000 miles and they are almost 10 years old...

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
Alant2b
Alant2b is on a distinguished road

I called Saturn about the recall notice because my VIn# is in the range mentioned above 4Z109867. Maybe I took it the wrong way but rep. seemed a bit hostile to me on the phone. Refusing to answer questions about the recall notice and asking me if I had any problems with the car. He gave me a case # and asked me for all my details, name tel, address, info on car which Saturn surely must have in their records. he gave me case # 71-852086180

I had an engine failure that caused an accident stall while driving locally around my house about 4 years ago where the steering locked up when the engine died. Possibly this was because there were too many keys on the keyring (too heavy?) But in order to get my car back from the dealer (they had it a week) I had to waive my legal rights and affirm their was no defect in the car. On Sunday July 25th the car also failed while driving around the block but maybe it was because my knee hit the keys in the ignition and the weak switch moved and turned off the engine?

possibly this is an ignition switch problem and not a power steering issue? who knows? since there is no help from Saturn what should we do? I don't want to file a complaint with the safety Board or Safecar.com unless i know for sure that there is a problem. Do I have to die on the highway in order to find out or is there nothing to worry about and us Saturn lovers are over reacting?

I am not doubting that there is a problem. All I am saying is that there maybe another reason why the engine shuts off and the steering fails.
In any event I should probably change the ignition switch but I can't do it myself and the costs art Firestone are too high. I don't have the money right now but am saving up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Alant2b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Alant2b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Alant2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:59 PM   #8
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Last month I was given a 2007 ION rental, 20k on the odometer...

There was something not exactly right with the steering. It felt like it was cutting in and out at times. Probably this is a warning sign that the motor is failing...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #9
AndreasChen
Advanced Member
AndreasChen is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Finally there is something, though not a recall...
Curiously, when I google this bulletin, SaturnFans is the only source. Is this the first notice about this bulletin? Am I among the first Ion drivers to see this?

02 Saturn SC2
05 Saturn ION
Then I missed the chance of enjoying a brand new Saturn, forever...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AndreasChen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AndreasChen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AndreasChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:52 PM   #10
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 will become famous soon enoughCitation84 will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

That's all well and good, but after October when Saturn is finally wound down, who will be the "retailer" to make this "free" repair up to 10 years or 100,000 miles ???? The local GM Goodwrench ? Or Chevy dealer ????

No problem yet, things are fine even though I am in that serial # sequence.

And BTW: props to the OP for giving everyone the dirt. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #11
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

a local GM dealership that has been approved (and is willing) to work on saturns under warranty and recall.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #12
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 will become famous soon enoughCitation84 will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

"approved and willing"...... that's the problem. We'll see how that works. Their handling of it to this point has been less than forthright. What reason on earth was there for not including the ION in the Cobalt campaign in the first place ?

I think they can drop the charade that Saturn is anything but part of GM corporate at this point and stop splitting hairs like they have nothing to do with the company.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:55 PM   #13
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I have had this problem, a dealership was approved (so said the regional rep.), but when I called them they said "so, what do you want me to do?" I just wanted them to look at my car!! but they weren't willing. public service garage in marquette, MI will not be getting any business from me. though now I'm in missoura, so it's not an issue

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-08-2010, 01:11 AM   #14
cam
cam is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARECCE View Post
Not sure why they are not doing a recall, but they should since the motor is the same one that is in the Cobalt which has an active recall. I will be taking my ION in to get a new motor.

Special Coverage Adjustment Power Steering Assist Bulletin 10187 July 2010

MODELS: 2004-2007 Saturn ION

CONDITION
Some customers of 2004-2007 model year Saturn ION vehicles, equipped with electric power steering, may experience a sudden loss of power steering assist, which could occur at any time while driving the vehicle. If the power steering assist is lost, a chime will be heard and the Message Center will display a "PWR STR" warning message. The vehicle can still be steered in a safe manner but will require greater driver effort at low vehicle speeds or when stopped. Typically, the next time the vehicle is started, the power steering assist will return and the "PWR STR" message would no longer be displayed.

SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT
This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 100,000 miles (160,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.
Retailers are to replace the power steering motor. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer. For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after July 21, 2010, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to July 21, 2010, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

VEHICLES INVOLVED
Involved are certain 2004-2007 model year Saturn ION vehicles equipped with electric power steering and built within the following VIN breakpoints:
Year Division Model From Through
2004 Saturn ION 4Z100001 4Z232317
2005 Saturn ION 5Z100001 5Z183690
2006 Saturn ION 6Z100001 6Z211250
2007 Saturn ION 7Z100001 7Z210512
We just got our letter last Friday, August 6h. I guess Canada is a bit behind.
However, ours advised not to bring the car into the dealer until this problem occurs!!!!!
Did yours state the same?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:21 AM   #15
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

this is because this is NOT A RECALL, it is a warranty extension.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-08-2010, 11:18 AM   #16
Dutchman1954
Dutchman1954 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam View Post
We just got our letter last Friday, August 6h. I guess Canada is a bit behind.
However, ours advised not to bring the car into the dealer until this problem occurs!!!!!
Did yours state the same?
I'm in San Diego and mine arrived on Friday also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dutchman1954's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dutchman1954 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dutchman1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #17
Zoojunkie782
Zoojunkie782 is on a distinguished road

Question Re: ION Power Steering Motor Coverage

I just took my saturn to the local GM dealership and referenced the service bulletin. He looked at m like I was crazy! I just had my steering go out today I fall within the VIN#'s listed but he said I would have to pay them to replace the Electronic Steering Motor. What gives? My car has 62k miles on it and I figured it would covered (<100,000 mi).

I want to get this fixed ASAP, but I don't feel I should have to pay if my car is involved with a service order/extended warranty....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zoojunkie782's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zoojunkie782 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zoojunkie782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:49 AM   #18
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

read posts 11 & 13, this has already been addressed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2010, 02:37 PM   #19
Zoojunkie782
Zoojunkie782 is on a distinguished road

OK than let me clarify. This is a place that is certified and willing to service Saturn warranties and recalls. So they are willing but have not been made aware of the issue...Obviously printing a post won't convince them its real and I haven;t received a letter....not sure how half of the country and canada are aware, but the midwest isn't...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zoojunkie782's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zoojunkie782 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zoojunkie782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #20
AndreasChen
Advanced Member
AndreasChen is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Got my ION3 motor replaced by local GM dealer. The new motor is shorter but larger in diameter, and generates much less heat!

Now the steering feels more like most other cars: more resistance when steering more. The old steering motor, comparing to this one, is indeed crap

02 Saturn SC2
05 Saturn ION
Then I missed the chance of enjoying a brand new Saturn, forever...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AndreasChen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AndreasChen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AndreasChen is offline   Reply With Quote