SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
MRink
MRink is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L
Default Turn signal problems (not caused by bad flasher / hazard switch??)

I have already mentioned my turn signal woes in another thread, but wanted to start my own with additional information. Essentially, about 80% of the time I drive my car, I have normally operating turn signals as one would expect. However, the other 20% of the time, my turn signals are just "dead" when I go to use them -- up or down, there's nothing on the dash. Every time I drive the car it's usually all or nothing, but sometimes during a drive they will go from working to not and vice versa.

After reading some threads, I convinced myself that it was going to be my flasher / hazard switch so I ordered one last night from RockAuto. But on my drive home from work tonight, while experiencing my signals not working, I hit the hazard button and they worked no problem. Drat, did I just throw away $50? Is there ANY chance the problem could still be in the flasher / hazard switch despite the hazards working when the turn signals don't? Any value in installing the new part just to eliminate the variable or should I hope for a generous RockAuto return policy.....?

When I got home tonight, my signals were still not working and I was able to confirm from outside the car that it's not just the dash not blinking, bulbs neither. (But turn on the hazards and away they go!) Does this point to something with the turn signal switch / steering column? I will admit, it does seem like sometimes I can coax the signal to work by lightly applying pressure "in" on the signal switch while motioning it up or down. Could just be my imagination, though.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance, I really appreciate all the help I've found on this forum.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MRink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MRink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MRink is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
MRink

2002 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: Turn signal problems (not caused by bad flasher / hazard switch??)

Follow-up.... Seems like a reasonable next step would be to open up the steering column and at least re-seat the turn signal switch's connectors. I was able to find the service documents in another thread for both the steering column cover replacement and the turn signal switch replacement. The first step before messing with the steering column is an instruction to disable the airbag (SIR system), but I didn't seen any references in the thread to this step being followed. Can this step be skipped or is it just so easy to do that no one mentioned it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MRink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-20-2010, 10:10 PM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRink View Post
Follow-up.... Seems like a reasonable next step would be to open up the steering column and at least re-seat the turn signal switch's connectors. I was able to find the service documents in another thread for both the steering column cover replacement and the turn signal switch replacement. The first step before messing with the steering column is an instruction to disable the airbag (SIR system), but I didn't seen any references in the thread to this step being followed. Can this step be skipped or is it just so easy to do that no one mentioned it?
I've not messed with turn signal stalk but did remove steering column covers to change ignition switch and didn't disable the air bag.

I've attached an extract - you might have seen - with a list of things to do access the turn signal switch.

Let me know if you need any of the referenced docs.

BTW ... not sure if you've seen the schematic for turn and hazards so I've attached. Will give you an idea of the interconnect between stalk and flasher.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 02 Vue - Turn Sig Housing.pdf (119.7 KB, 123 views)
File Type: pdf 02 Vue - Turn-Haz Schematic.pdf (29.4 KB, 88 views)

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
MRink

2002 VUE 3.0L

Well, I opened up the steering column and found it to be rather easy to disconnect and remove the turn signal switch. Cleaned up the terminals and made sure it was good and reseated on reinstall, but I still have the problem (still intermittently).

I was all set to order a new switch from RockAuto and possibly return the hazard/flasher I already bought from them, but now I'm seeing this thread: saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61464 ...that makes it sound unamimous that the problem is the hazard/flasher. I thought the hazard/flasher was out considering my hazards work fine, but the posts sound pretty convincing. I guess there's only one way to find out, $50 gamble.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-23-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
MRink

2002 VUE 3.0L

Update. I replaced the flasher/hazard two weeks ago and haven't had any problems with the turn signal since.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #6
mlloydlgt
mlloydlgt is on a distinguished road

Same problem here. Part is on the way.

So I take it you we don't have to remove the steering wheel?

I've seen people say that it only takes about 10 mins to swap out, but all the instructions I see say I need to fully strip the column. Hoping I can just split open the two plastic housings that make a clamshell and R/R the part.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mlloydlgt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mlloydlgt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mlloydlgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:04 AM   #7
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloydlgt View Post
Same problem here. Part is on the way.

So I take it you we don't have to remove the steering wheel?

I've seen people say that it only takes about 10 mins to swap out, but all the instructions I see say I need to fully strip the column. Hoping I can just split open the two plastic housings that make a clamshell and R/R the part.
What year Vue?

I've replaced lighting/turn signal stalk on 05, 06 and 07 Vue's by removing upper and lower covers from steering column.

I didn't have to remove steering wheel or disable air bag.

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-14-2014, 10:07 PM   #8
mlloydlgt
mlloydlgt is on a distinguished road

It's a 2003 w/o autodim headlights.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mlloydlgt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mlloydlgt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mlloydlgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:42 PM   #9
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloydlgt View Post
It's a 2003 w/o autodim headlights.
If you have limber fingers you only need to pop top cover to replace the switch.

The cover pops off with good upward jerk of finger or tool in the opening around turn signal lever.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!