SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
srigg
srigg is on a distinguished road

Default Replace Rack and Pinon?

I have a 1999 Saturn SL2 with 114,000 miles. I was told by the dealership that I had a failing rack and pinion but when I added power steering fluid the metal rubbing sound I was hearing when turning almost went away. The car is leaking power steering fluid and has probably been low on it for weeks but not extremely low, just below the add line but the car has been making noises for weeks although I thought it was something else and the noise has only been bad and frequent the past week.

Is there some way to make the original rack and pinion last a while longer without replacing it?

Could I just replace the seals to stop this power steering fluid leak?

I was wondering if rack and pinion failure was typical in Saturnís with this many miles? I have never heard of rack and pinion failure with some other brands.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to srigg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help srigg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
srigg is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
Baron5867
Advanced Member
Baron5867 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC1
Default Re: Replace Rack and Pinon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srigg View Post
I have a 1999 Saturn SL2 with 114,000 miles. I was told by the dealership that I had a failing rack and pinion but when I added power steering fluid the metal rubbing sound I was hearing when turning almost went away. The car is leaking power steering fluid and has probably been low on it for weeks but not extremely low, just below the add line but the car has been making noises for weeks although I thought it was something else and the noise has only been bad and frequent the past week.
A leaking steering rack is considered a failing rack.

Quote:
Is there some way to make the original rack and pinion last a while longer without replacing it?
A stop-leak MAY buy you SOME limited time, depending on the leak. Wal-Mart sells Prestone stop-leak, for example. Do a fluid swap at the PS pump with a turkey baster.

Quote:
Could I just replace the seals to stop this power steering fluid leak?
I'll let others speak, but I am guessing that the racks for these cars are generally repaired via replacement with remanufactured units from a FLAPS. BTW, I am also guessing that a regular mechanic will do this job more cheaply than the dealer.

Quote:
I was wondering if rack and pinion failure was typical in Saturnís with this many miles? I have never heard of rack and pinion failure with some other brands.
Dependent on use and maintenance history. CIty driving (and city parking, now that I think of it) demands much more PS use than highway driving, correct?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Baron5867's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Baron5867 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Baron5867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2
2003 VUE 2.2L

114k miles for your car is not a lot. The steering on these cars is pretty solid - I've never had any problems. If you want to replace your rack, I'd simply go to the junkyard and get a used one for replacement. Also, you could try replacing the part that's leaking!

shawn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
srigg
srigg is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Need to replace entire rack and pinion

I found out that the rack and pinion can be considered failing for 2 reasons, the first reason a leak in system is easier to fix by replacing seals and the second reason gear failure is more serious. In my case both reasons apply although after adding fluid the metal on metal sound I was hearing almost went away. Also I know the leak is a slow one, I checked for wet spots under and on my car and the fluid hasn't noticeable dropped in a week. I was told that the worm gear is worn, but right now I only occasionally hear a slight sound when making a sharp turn out of a parking lot. With this gear worn it's probably not worth fixing the seals. I have heard that in many cars the rack and pinyon never fails but have been told by a mechanic friend that this is one of Saturn's weaknesses. In my case this problem started as a leak in the power steering fluid and might have been just that if it was addressed immediately but I have been hearing it sporadically for several weeks mainly in the parking lot. This car is worth fixing but after adding fluid I rarely notice anything so I am considering waiting to do anything. When the rack and pinion totally fail I would lose power steering or the wheel may even lock up on a turn but with such a slow leak I think I can maintain it for a while and more symptoms should show up. The cost of everthing adds up to about $1800 at the dealership but more like $1400-1500 at the local mechanic.

Last edited by srigg; 07-16-2010 at 01:07 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to srigg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help srigg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
srigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
mr18436572
mr18436572 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnV View Post
I'd simply go to the junkyard and get a used one for replacement.
I second that. There's never been a rack and pinion issue in all the Saturns we've owned. I dont even think any of them leaked.

2000 SL2 auto - 167k - sold
1996 SL2 auto - 161k - sold
1997 SC2 auto - 105k - sold
2000 SC2 auto - 117k - sold
1996 SL2 auto - 250k - sold
2001 SC2 5sp - 160k - sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr18436572's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr18436572 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mr18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr18436572 View Post
I second that. There's never been a rack and pinion issue in all the Saturns we've owned. I dont even think any of them leaked.
if u buy a rack from a junkyard, be sure to have it flushed. u could be buying someone else's problem.

Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 72gssaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 72gssaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote