SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
LJ57
LJ57 is on a distinguished road

Default OBD2 Codes on 2001 Saturn SL1

I just ran the scanner and got the following error codes for my SES light being on :

P0410 - Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction

P0133 - O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor

Does anyone know what these mean, and what I would need to do to fix them?

Thanks

2001 Saturn SL1
L4 - 1.9L vin 7 116ci - MFI GAS DOHC
100,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LJ57's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LJ57 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LJ57 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: OBD2 Codes on 2001 Saturn SL1

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0133 -- p0133

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0410 -- p0133

hopefully these should give you some ideas as to where to start.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ57 View Post
I just ran the scanner and got the following error codes for my SES light being on :

P0410 - Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction

P0133 - O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor

Does anyone know what these mean, and what I would need to do to fix them?

Thanks
The 133 is the O2 sensor in the front exhaust, under the hood. It may be dying but don't replace it till you get the P410 fixed.

Watch this video and find out what is wrong with the AIR system and fix it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIrmkxj6wJE

These videos are listed in the How-To Library, first sticky thread.

To reset the codes after fixing just remove the PCM B fuse from the UHJB (engine compartment fuse box) for a minute and replace it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
LJ57

Thanks alot! I'm going to see if I can pinpoint the problems this afternoon. Without this forum and richpin videos, I don't know what I would do. Thanks again!

2001 Saturn SL1
100,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LJ57's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LJ57 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
LJ57

BTW, if I do need to replace the Oxygen sensor, do I need to buy the wires as well? I notice that Bosch oxygen sensors are sold for $18, $79, and $121 (different versions). Is there anything that determines which one I might need?

2001 Saturn SL1
100,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LJ57's Reputation
Old 07-04-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enough

1997 SL2

You want a direct fit instead of a universal. Your best bet would be an NTK or Denso if it comes to that. I wouldn't bother with it until the P0410 has been cleared up, as mentioned above. O2 may be on the way out, but I've seen them go much longer than 100K.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #7
LJ57

Ok. After watching the richpin video, I'm about to start trying to figure out what's causing the p0410 code. About four minutes into the video, he says that the pipe going into the exhaust manifold should be inspected for carbon deposits and cleaned if necessary. If there is carbon built up in there, how should I go about cleaning it? Is it difficult to actually remove the exhaust manifold for cleaning?

2001 Saturn SL1
100,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LJ57's Reputation
Old 07-18-2010, 05:35 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

You clean out the pipe with a coat hanger wire and then about any bristle brush you can find that fits. Soaking in a bucket of diesel fuel helps. Removing the manifold is not difficult but you want to have a new flange gasket and manifold to heads gasket available before doing it. You can unbolt the a/c compressor from the block and then lay the compressor and bracket on the radiator support. Do not stress or bend the hoses any more than necessary as you will cause a leak. It is easier to remove those 4 bolts into the block than it is to put all 6 of the bolts back into the bracket to remount the compressor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-31-2010, 12:28 PM   #9
manualman
manualman is on a distinguished road

1995 SL

Timely thread as I tackled a P0410 this weekend. I did the Richpin diagnosis and found everything works fine right up to the exhaust manifold. Little to no exhaust comes out the manifold port when the air pump pipe is removed and the engine is running. I'm guessing this means the passages in the manifold are gunked up.

So I get to track down some gaskets, but let me ask this too: The manifold studs and nuts seem to be a solid mass of rust. What are the odds I actually get them OUT of the manifold without damage? Do people have much luck with that? Any suggestions besides a good dose of PB Blaster? Looks like I should get new studs and nuts too, eh?

While it is off, are there any tricks to cleaning the EGR passages too? My engine seems to make an extraordinary amount of soot (burn 1qt/1,200 miles oil). Looks like a diesel exhaust!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to manualman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help manualman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
manualman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:12 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

They are screwed into the aluminum head. So, even if the nut has become one with the stud they come out. They usually unscrew though.

To clean EGR port remove EGR, start engine. That should do it. If not when the manifold is off feed a old speedometer cable back through the EGFR exhaust port into the exhaust port.

PB Blaster usually works. Give it 24 hours and maybe a heat cool cycler also. Wire brush of the corrosion before attempting to remove nuts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!