SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
MMarlin
MMarlin is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Not just the timing chain.....

My husband and I sat down tonight and reviewed the work order on our 07 Outlook. Yes I had read it and.....not happy....yet the decision to get rid of the Outlook doesn't land squarely on my shoulder.

This is what the work order states they did to my 07 Outlook last week.

To state again I have had issues since March 2008 with the "stabilink needs service" and the "traction control has been disabled" warning message coming on.

I have made a point to bring this up on several occasions to the following dealerships:

1. Jake Sweeney Saturn of Western Hills - Cincinnati (March and June and December 2008)
2. South Dayton Saturn - Centerville (July 2009 and November 2009)
3. Saturn of Kings Auto Mall still a Saturn dealer at that time - Cincinnati (April 2010)
4. Jake Sweeney of Tri County Saturn service dealer - Cincinnati (April and May 2010)
5. Reichard GMC/Buick - Dayton local Saturn service dealer (June 2010)

So there were EIGHT complants I have filed on this issue and yet it took Reichard GMC/Buick service department to find the issue on the NINTH complaint.

So here is what is on the work order:

"Inspect test check diagnostic codes, use all available sources to identify failure. Not to be used for brake light bulb failure....stabilink trac light on at times...intermittant rain, dry, anytime, starting or driving. Checked serveral times elsewhere. CODE P0021 timing chain stretched. Camshaft has excessive end play also. Replace timing chain and add thrust washers and front cylinder head cams."

So now please explain one thing...ISN'T THAT A MAJOR PROBLEM???????? Because when my husband read it his comment was "OH ****"!

So now THIS IS WHY I have issues with GM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It took FIVE DEALERS AND "8" times before anybody decided that this needed to be dealt with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will I deal with a GM dealer again.........HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry Reichard but well too much time and sure you fixed it but...........

PS: Also, LOL, we did get a $100.00 check from Reichard for disabiling the heated washer.

2003 Red VUE - LOVE IT!
2007 Silver Outlook - SIGHHH! Traded 2/11 for a 2011 Enclave
2005 Gray Nissan 350Z - FUN FUN FUN warm weather only with the top down

Last edited by MMarlin; 07-01-2010 at 08:04 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MMarlin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MMarlin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MMarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: Not just the timing chain.....

Here's a trick, you know how Google will automatically fill in search suggestions? Type in gm 3.6 and see what automatically comes up. Should explain how popular your issue is.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
MMarlin

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
Here's a trick, you know how Google will automatically fill in search suggestions? Type in gm 3.6 and see what automatically comes up. Should explain how popular your issue is.
OMG do I really want to do that?????

I mean I am really ticked off enough as it is.

Thanks though for your reply.

2003 Red VUE - LOVE IT!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MMarlin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-01-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

The Outlook should be OK for the timing issue from now on. GM changed the design of the chain in 2009 to reduce the stretching. (It can't be eliminated completely)
I would run only full synthetic oil if you haven't been from now on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-01-2010, 09:02 PM   #5
MMarlin

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
The Outlook should be OK for the timing issue from now on. GM changed the design of the chain in 2009 to reduce the stretching. (It can't be eliminated completely)
I would run only full synthetic oil if you haven't been from now on.
Thanks that does make me a "tad" bit more confident.

Althought I do have a question is using the synthetic oil because it won't have to be changed as often? It that really the best?

Only asking because I am a stickler in getting the oil changed every 3000 miles. Something my Father taught me when I bought my very first car....1966 Mustang.

So since I change it more often do you still recommend the synthetic? I do understand that synthetic is more expensive yet I still would keep up with the 3000 mile change.

Thanks again for your comments/input.

2003 Red VUE - LOVE IT!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #6
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMarlin View Post
Thanks that does make me a "tad" bit more confident.

Althought I do have a question is using the synthetic oil because it won't have to be changed as often? It that really the best?

Only asking because I am a stickler in getting the oil changed every 3000 miles. Something my Father taught me when I bought my very first car....1966 Mustang.

So since I change it more often do you still recommend the synthetic? I do understand that synthetic is more expensive yet I still would keep up with the 3000 mile change.

Thanks again for your comments/input.
I don't think you need the 3K oil change, just follow the OLM. But yes use the synthetic for any oil change routine you have. In my mind todays engines run too hot and are too "precious" to ever run non-synthetic. I predict that in coming years "plain ol" oil will be removed from the market as older cars die off and no one recommends it any more.
You should already be using synthetic oil and premium gas in the Nissan.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
MMarlin

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
I don't think you need the 3K oil change, just follow the OLM. But yes use the synthetic for any oil change routine you have. In my mind todays engines run too hot and are too "precious" to ever run non-synthetic. I predict that in coming years "plain ol" oil will be removed from the market as older cars die off and no one recommends it any more.
You should already be using synthetic oil and premium gas in the Nissan.
I know we always use premium in the Nissan as husband kind of pisses and moans when he fills up yet he gets better MPG that I do!

I do have a competent local service tech/garage who handles the regular maintenance on our vehicles. I am taking the VUE in next week for an oil change and tire rotation so I will ask Ted when I am there.

I will say that I am 99.9% sure he is using the oil recommended for each of our vehicles although it doesn't hurt to just ask.

Thanks again!

2003 Red VUE - LOVE IT!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!