SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 07-01-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
jkembry
jkembry is on a distinguished road

Default Odometer not lighing anymore

Good Morning all,

Yesterday, I experienced something very odd...to me anyway. The odometer in my 2004 Saturn Vue went totally out. In the sunlight I can see the digits and know that they are still ticking off mileage. However after dark, I can see nothing.

Has anyone experience this...or does anyone have any idea on how to fix it. The dashboard lights and all the 'idiot' lights are working and I have checked fuses.

Also, I had planned on asking this the other day. I had to use the horn and it stayed on. I ended up pulling the fuse/relay to stop it. Has anyone seen this...and is there any corrective action that can be taken.

Thanks,

Jeff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jkembry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jkembry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jkembry is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
pdough
Advanced Member
pdough will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Odometer not lighing anymore

I had the exact same thing. Its the odometer bulb. You'll need to get it at a GM dealer but it is very easy to install yourself. I looked around for a "similar to" but could not find anything I was sure was going to work. If you look hard enough, I'm sure you could find one.

All you need to do is take a few screws out of the instrument cluster to remove it and the bulb is an easy replacement. I had it done in about 15 minutes.

The horn I'll leave to others.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pdough's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pdough reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkembry View Post
Also, I had planned on asking this the other day. I had to use the horn and it stayed on. I ended up pulling the fuse/relay to stop it. Has anyone seen this...and is there any corrective action that can be taken.

Thanks,

Jeff
Jeff ... the horn is a perennial problem and 99% of time is caused by faulty wiring in steering wheel airbag. The professional (dealer) fix is to replace the airbag but many have added a simple switch on / around the steering column to toot when necessary.

You can finds information on how to intercept the existing wiring and adding a switch by using search, or I can point you toward a few posts.

Oh, what to heck ... look the following thread over:

http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~s...rn#post1619714

Not a professional mechanic - advice and data are free - PM email address if I'm not logged on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

As mentioned the odometer is the illumination bulb.

The horn is likely the activation switch in the air bag. The proper solution is to replace the air bag. That said there are some on the Board that have added button switches onto the steering wheel for the horn. Not necessarily the correct or safe way but one that is cheaper and seems to have worked for them.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
jkembry
jkembry is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. Will replace the bulb this weekend.

Jeff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jkembry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jkembry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jkembry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
winter55
winter55 is on a distinguished road

I have same problem. Caa you tell me how to remove the cluster from the dash board?

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to winter55's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help winter55 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
winter55 is offline   Reply With Quote