SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 12:31 PM   #1
LoveMySaturn
LoveMySaturn is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Down Power Door Locks not working..

I bought the car knowing this, and I would like to try to figure out whats wrong with it. My dad and I were looking at it and found out this:
putting in a fuse in correct spot makes it blow immediately
unlock works from the passenger and driver's doors, but only unlocks the driver's door.
lock doesn't work at all
when lock/unlock is pressed, there is a noise in the fuse box inside the car, coming from the relay switches

Anybody have any idea what the problem could be? any help is appeciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LoveMySaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LoveMySaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2003, 05:25 PM   #2
DualCamCoupe
Advanced Member
DualCamCoupe is on a distinguished road

Sounds to me like its haunted.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DualCamCoupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DualCamCoupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-21-2003, 09:06 PM   #3
sattech
sattech is on a distinguished road

Which fuse blows, the locks fuse or the body fuse? Both are used in the door lock ckt. The body fuse also powers the dome lamp, trunk light and power mirror.

~ If it worked before you messed with it, it must be something you did ~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sattech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sattech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-21-2003, 09:09 PM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

If the fuse is popping right away then you have a short somewhere. You'll need to find this before you can be certain of any other diag you try to make. Good chance that the short is the cause of everything.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-22-2003, 03:47 PM   #5
krasch
krasch is on a distinguished road

Oh! Oh! I know this one. Teacher, call on me please! I had the exact same problem with my 92 sl2. It turns out that the relay for the power door locks in located directly under the center council under the emergency brake lever. That spot makes a pretty decent cup holder. Someone spilled coke down there and it worked its way into the relay and shorted it out. I bought a new one and it works fine.
Here is a tip: It is really easy to hook up a remote control kit for the power door locks while you are in there. You can get one for about $40 from JC Whitney. I love mine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to krasch's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help krasch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-22-2003, 08:18 PM   #6
sattech

Sorry Krash, this is a '96. The relays are in the fuse panel. And it already has remote keyless entry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sattech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-23-2003, 11:34 AM   #7
LoveMySaturn

no, mine doesn't have keyless entry. i don't think it is the body fuse, it is the lock one or whatever it was. all i know is it is a 20, and the fuse wasn't in there when i bought it, so whoever had it before knew this was the problem. My dad found some relays at the junkyard and soon we'll try them and i'll try and post teh results. thanks though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help LoveMySaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-23-2003, 12:12 PM   #8
dru95sc2
dru95sc2 is on a distinguished road

mine does the same thing 95 sc2 I miss my locks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dru95sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dru95sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-23-2003, 12:55 PM   #9
bills33
bills33 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy power door lock problem

at least yours blow fuse. Mine just makes it so I had to remove to unlock relay to keep it from killing the battery. and then jumper the switch to unlock to let me start the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bills33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bills33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-23-2003, 10:05 PM   #10
sattech

I'm going to check to make sure, but , as far as I recall, if you have factory power locks you have remote keyless entry. All you need is a remote programmed to your car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-24-2003, 09:54 AM   #11
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Sattech is CORRECT (as usual) if you have power door locks (OEM Factory ones anyway) then you DO have RKE (remote keyless entry) that's the ONLY way they came from the factory.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-24-2003, 11:09 AM   #12
LoveMySaturn

any way i could get a remote for my car? i've never heard of anything like this though, getting a replacement, but i'm sure its possible, maybe through the dealer..but still, if the locks don't work, then that wouldn't work either would it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-24-2003, 09:33 PM   #13
sattech

Do you stil have a fuse blowing? If you post which fuse it is , I may be able to at least tell you what else is on the circuit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2003, 11:46 AM   #14
bills33
bills33 is on a distinguished road

Default which fuse would help

my car the fuse was on the rke which when replaced after i checked more closely and noticed that one. the car started normal. i removed the relays for the door locks and waiting till it is warmer to find out if i use the door locks and alarm together will it blow a fuse again. for now I am happy the rest of the car works normal. i can do without the power door locks for now.

so yes it would be good to know what fuse is blown on this thread.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bills33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bills33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread