SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2010, 07:50 AM   #1
Saturn#5
Saturn#5 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2007 VUE 2.2L
Default Check Engine Light...

About a week ago on my way home from work my engine light came on. I pulled over and check the gas cap, as it could be one of the simple issues when the light comes on. Well that didn't work so I called my Saturn...I mean my GMC/Buick dealer (who are the same people from Saturn...they just had to sit through a**hole training before opening as a GMC/Buick dealer). Their advice was as long as the car is driving normally I should continue driving and get the car in to them as soon as I can (which was the next business day). They had the car for about 4 hours and found that the camshaft position actuator solenoid valve was faulty and needed replacement. All was under warrantee and all is good now.

Has any one else had the engine light come on? If so what was the issue?

Saturn#5

Saturn car history:
1995 SL2
2002 LW200
2005 ION
2007 VUE
2008 Astra

HEY GM...KISS MY ASTRA!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn#5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn#5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
phatfire6
Advanced Member
phatfire6 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Check Engine Light...

I once had it illuminate, but it went away before I could get it to the dealer. Not really sure what it was about. When I brought my car to get it Tech2'ed, it had a body code(?) stored in the computer, but the technician said it was common for Astras. (Former Saturn tech)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phatfire6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phatfire6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phatfire6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
Sirraven
Sirraven is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I had it twice, both intake and exhaust sensors have been replaced. Also read the GM Buyback thread, documents someones elses problems with this.

08 Saturn Astra
5dr XR Twilight Blue
-Manual Transmission
-Advanced Audio Pkg
-Sport Handling Pkg
-Dual Panel Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sirraven's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sirraven reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sirraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
Swordfish
Advanced Member
Swordfish is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE

Don't get me started...

First time, it was a bad O2 sensor in the exhaust. They changed it and reprogrammed with an update.

Second time, it was a bad thermostat in the cooling system. They changed the thermostat and reprogrammed the ECM. again.

And now, I have been waiting for three weeks to get my SDM (airbag module) changed because its reading at 2.8 level 1, and 7.3 level 2, when both should read no more than 2.1 ohms each. having that changed out tomorrow, the part was backorder for three weeks.

That's notwithstanding of all the other little issues that came and went. now my girlfriend nicknamed my car lemon. Joy.

Marc-Antoine

2009 Astra XE 5-door, Twilight Blue.
"I have four rules in the Astra. No food, no drink, no smoking, and no vomit. Got it? Now... let me just put my coffee in the cup holder..."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Swordfish's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Swordfish reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:02 AM   #5
kenzingen
kenzingen is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Saturn#5

Sounds like you had the dreaded code P000A. You should have noticed a loss of power along with the check engine light. I now carry a cheap OBD2 code scanner in the car all the time - it comes in handy if/when the check engine light comes on. See this thread for more information about code P000A:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ighlight=p000a

The problem isn't a big deal, and it won't strand you or blow up your engine, which is important to me. It's just a nuisance that seems to happen to a lot of European cars including BMWs, so it is not just an Astra specific problem.

2008 Astra XR5, 5sp, Lthr, Sunrf, Sport Handling Package, Adv Audio (current car)
1997 SL2, 5sp Manual (still running strong when sold at 177k miles)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kenzingen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kenzingen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kenzingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:06 AM   #6
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

1st time: Leaking gas cap. Reset light and didn't come on for about a year.

2nd time: Bad fuel filler neck and bad O2 sensor. Replaced filler neck and O2 sensor (had to replace the entire exhaust manifold since it was stuck).

3rd time: Reprogrammed the computer.

4th time: New fuel pump.

Now all is well. The 2nd - 4th times were all at once (the light came for the 3rd and 4th times when I was driving home from the shop). They had the car for about a month total. Glad I got a free loaner!

2008 BMW 328i
2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #7
shamlyn
shamlyn is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XR

Intake manifold tuning valve was behaving erratically according to onstar. This happened a few times as I drove on the highway some distance. Turns out the intake manifold sensor was faulty and they had to replace the entire intake manifold instead of just the sensor, thankfully under warranty. You could feel a little loss of power on the highway when climbing hills or passing people.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shamlyn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shamlyn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
shamlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:07 AM   #8
Larry_va
Larry_va is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I have had this problem since I had 20,000 miles on my Astra and have had it replced over 4 times now it has turned into a larger issue and they are replacing the cam gear because it has been damaged by the sensor/actuator not operating properly. My car has been in the shop over 3 months now and have been in a rental. If you continue to have this problem, which I expect you will. I would be sure to contact customer care and keep all records. The dealership my car is at has had several Astras in for the same problem.
At one point they gave my car back saying it was safe to drive and I would just notice the loss of power but that wasn't the case. After only 2 days of driving it began to sound like a diesl engine and I returned it to the dealer and they've now had it for 3 months and still can't completely figure out the proble. So for someone to say it is common and won't cause damage they're wrong.

Last edited by Larry_va; 06-23-2010 at 06:13 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Larry_va's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Larry_va reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Larry_va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:16 PM   #9
NJastra
NJastra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I'm actually HOPING that mine comes on. I don't know if it's the 90+ heat or what but something is definitely not right.

We all know that using the A/C sucks the life out of the engine but I've suddenly been experiencing worse than normal and hearing the engine get louder and bog down was another indicator. What really confirmed it for me was when I was driving yesterday and today with the A/C off (at times) and it felt like the A/C was on. Huge bog down and loss of power, struggling, louder engine under load like pulling a house and felt the give and take as if I was running the A/C. Typically when you shut the A/C off you can expect a noticeable gain in power.

As some of you might know, I did the air box and VXR swap. I ran some amateur tests that seemed to show slight improvements. Something now is definitely not right. Does the computer adjust itself based on air flow? I'm starting to get paranoid and even thought of changing back. I don't know, but like I said, I hope my engine light comes on assuming that the problem will be fixed. We'll also see if this is a random or heat issue. It's been a day or two so we'll see.

-Jon-

3 dr XR, Twilight Blue, 5 speed manual, 18" 5-star rims, Leather trim package, Heated seats, VXMMI (Advanced Audio)

1987 Z28 - modded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NJastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NJastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NJastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:04 AM   #10
Larry_va
Larry_va is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJastra View Post
I'm actually HOPING that mine comes on. I don't know if it's the 90+ heat or what but something is definitely not right.

We all know that using the A/C sucks the life out of the engine but I've suddenly been experiencing worse than normal and hearing the engine get louder and bog down was another indicator. What really confirmed it for me was when I was driving yesterday and today with the A/C off (at times) and it felt like the A/C was on. Huge bog down and loss of power, struggling, louder engine under load like pulling a house and felt the give and take as if I was running the A/C. Typically when you shut the A/C off you can expect a noticeable gain in power.

As some of you might know, I did the air box and VXR swap. I ran some amateur tests that seemed to show slight improvements. Something now is definitely not right. Does the computer adjust itself based on air flow? I'm starting to get paranoid and even thought of changing back. I don't know, but like I said, I hope my engine light comes on assuming that the problem will be fixed. We'll also see if this is a random or heat issue. It's been a day or two so we'll see.
Those are the symptoms of the cam sensor gone bad. Mines be replced so many times when it starts acting up I know what it is imediately

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Larry_va's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Larry_va reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Larry_va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #11
NJastra

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_va View Post
Those are the symptoms of the cam sensor gone bad. Mines be replced so many times when it starts acting up I know what it is imediately
WOOHOO!!! The stars must have aligned for a change. My wish came true, my engine light just came on this afternoon. Wow, talk about NO power....the engine is under so much stress. I don't even want to drive the car, but I have to. I'm just going to take it as easy as possible. I have a service appointment on Monday. I will definitely post the outcome. (I wonder how much this would cost when the warranty is up. Hopefully not a repeat problem).

-Jon-

3 dr XR, Twilight Blue, 5 speed manual, 18" 5-star rims, Leather trim package, Heated seats, VXMMI (Advanced Audio)

1987 Z28 - modded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help NJastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #12
Sirraven
Sirraven is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
WOOHOO!!! The stars must have aligned for a change. My wish came true, my engine light just came on this afternoon. Wow, talk about NO power....the engine is under so much stress. I don't even want to drive the car, but I have to. I'm just going to take it as easy as possible. I have a service appointment on Monday. I will definitely post the outcome. (I wonder how much this would cost when the warranty is up. Hopefully not a repeat problem).
Parts about $150, at least from the slip my Satrun dealer gives me.

08 Saturn Astra
5dr XR Twilight Blue
-Manual Transmission
-Advanced Audio Pkg
-Sport Handling Pkg
-Dual Panel Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sirraven's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sirraven reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sirraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #13
NJastra

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirraven View Post
Parts about $150, at least from the slip my Satrun dealer gives me.
Plus labor...hmm, I just hope this is a one time deal. But it seems that some keep having the same issue time and time again.

That makes me wonder, are they bad batches of sensors? Bad designs? Or are there other componants on the car that are causing the sensor to prematurely go bad?

-Jon-

1987 Z28 - modded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-28-2010, 09:19 AM   #14
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
(I wonder how much this would cost when the warranty is up. Hopefully not a repeat problem).
Shouldn't it be covered under the 100K warranty?

2008 BMW 328i
2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #15
NJastra

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb View Post
Shouldn't it be covered under the 100K warranty?
I meant when the warranty is eventually up. Just trying to forecast how much things would cost down the road.

I thought this was funny. I took a picture of my invoice. Read the second sentence. One day, I'm going to make the same complaint when all is OK again and then the finding will state, 'operating as designed' LOL.

Well I dropped the car off at the dealership. I did mention the cam sensor issue that some are experiencing. To my surprise they eventually came back and said that they cleared the light, had like 8 codes, downloaded software and that we are good to go.

I get in the car and drive onto the highway and it is still bogging down and a lot of lost power. I take the next U-turn back. The technician comes for a ride and notices that something isn't right for sure. Then the light comes on again. So now I have a rental/loaner. At the point that I left, they didn't have any idea what the problem was. I mentioned again about the cam sensor. We'll see what they come up with. I just hope they can figure it out relatively quickly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00188-20100628-1500.jpg (120.9 KB, 35 views)

-Jon-

1987 Z28 - modded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #16
99blacktop
99blacktop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I thought this was funny. I took a picture of my invoice. Read the second sentence. One day, I'm going to make the same complaint when all is OK again and then the finding will state, 'operating as designed' LOL.
Or, "car accelerates quite sufficiently considering the measly 138hp engine"

Are you the one that bought your car from Saturn of Chapel Hill (Ohio), or was that someone else?

2013 Chevy Cruze Eco
2001 Chevy Corvette

My Saturn history:
1993 SL2 100,406 miles ('94-'98)
1999 SC2 118,537 miles ('98-'12)
2005 VUE 25,705 miles ('05-'09)
2008 Astra 27,014 miles ('09-'12)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99blacktop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99blacktop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99blacktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:02 PM   #17
NJastra

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99blacktop View Post
Or, "car accelerates quite sufficiently considering the measly 138hp engine"

Are you the one that bought your car from Saturn of Chapel Hill (Ohio), or was that someone else?
LOL yea. But wow, with this issue that developed it could be outright dangerous, especially with the AC on. We're talking all engine noise and just not climbing at all. And you don't want to force it because you can notice that it is struggling and something is wrong. The way the car used to drive with the AC on is how it drives now (if not worse) with the AC off plus uneven power and bogging down.

Hey, how did you know? I think I mentioned I had it shipped in from Ohio.....maybe I did mention the exact dealership. I vaguely remember that someone did mention that they saw the one I had picked out on the lot. Maybe that was you?

-Jon-

1987 Z28 - modded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #18
99blacktop
99blacktop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hey, how did you know? I think I mentioned I had it shipped in from Ohio.....maybe I did mention the exact dealership. I vaguely remember that someone did mention that they saw the one I had picked out on the lot. Maybe that was you?
I posted the link to that car way back when. I wasn't sure if you were the one that picked it up though. I almost bought that car.

2013 Chevy Cruze Eco
2001 Chevy Corvette

My Saturn history:
1993 SL2 100,406 miles ('94-'98)
1999 SC2 118,537 miles ('98-'12)
2005 VUE 25,705 miles ('05-'09)
2008 Astra 27,014 miles ('09-'12)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99blacktop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99blacktop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99blacktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:06 PM   #19
NJastra

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99blacktop View Post
I posted the link to that car way back when. I wasn't sure if you were the one that picked it up though. I almost bought that car.
Are you glad you didn't? LOL j/k I love it and I was able to get all the options I wanted. It was the only one left that I wanted that was not super far. The next closest was the Carolinas. I remember doing a search and having 3 spec papers in hand (all identical). I was like this is insane, only 3 in the entire eastern half of the United States so I had to act immediately. So yea, thanks for not buying what wound up being my car

Let's hope this is a quick fix.

-Jon-

1987 Z28 - modded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #20
NJastra

2008 Astra XR

All fixed!

"Customer states the car has no power while accelerating"

Cause: "Rotate part - worn/strip"
Tech Comm: "Tech confirmed the car has no power due to stripped camshaft actuator solenoid valve"

Repair: "Camshaft position actuator solenoid valve replacement"

When I talked with the service representative, he told me that they had the part in stock and he had no idea why/how lol. Something else that was strange, I was told that there was a service code for my stereo but they were able to fix that. I have the VXMMI unit....strange that a code would come up.

The car runs as good as new, so I'm a happy man

-Jon-

1987 Z28 - modded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!