SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
jenileigh
jenileigh is on a distinguished road

Default 04 Saturn Vue Rollover crash w/ pictures

I was involved in a crash on 6/11 with my 2004 Saturn Vue. The car in front of me was slowing down to stop and I was slowing down to stop. The car behind me slammed right into me backending me at approx 50 to 55 mph. I must have clipped the back corner on the passenger side of the car in front of me and I was then sent flipping, rolling three times. A car going in the opposite direction also hit me at one point. I came to rest upright. Of course I only remember slowing down and feeling the impact of the car hitting me from behind. I was wearing a seat belt and my air bags did deploy. All my windows were blown out (except for the sunroof), every exterior panel of the car is damaged, my door was bent inwards, but I survived with only black & blue marks on my left side and stiff, sore muscles.

I didn't like my Saturn's quirks - like the rumble strip noise - but I think my Saturn vue might have saved my life. I just wanted to share my photos to show how my vue faired in a rollover crash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010_0611saturn0032.JPG (157.6 KB, 1529 views)
File Type: jpg 2010_0611saturn0033.JPG (165.8 KB, 1210 views)
File Type: jpg 2010_0611saturn0052.JPG (177.6 KB, 1125 views)
File Type: jpg 2010_0611saturn0053.JPG (147.8 KB, 1181 views)
File Type: jpg 2010_0611saturn0054.JPG (160.8 KB, 1109 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jenileigh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jenileigh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jenileigh is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 04 Saturn Vue Rollover crash w/ pictures

Glad you came out only with bumps and bruises.

And FYI, the seat belt, airbag combination, side impact door beams, and roof roll cage construction did protect you from eminent death. When you chose to wear your seat belt you took a proactive role in survival from most crashes that would have ended terribly if you chose not to wear lap/shoulder belts. Not every outcome ends so well.

The slow motion replay of crash test dummies being restrained with lap/shoulder belts and supplemented with air bag deployment tends to restrain a body from being launched through the front windshield in frontal crashes or through the driver's side window with extreme physical damage of possible torn limbs when not choosing belt restraints. There are always exceptions as not every crash scenario is planned for.

Its been said the the best crash is the one you can walk away from. I've witnessed two in my lifetime. All occupants literally walked away from their horrendous accidents.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
silversurfer13
silversurfer13 will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Wow I am impressed with the Vue that much more..yes it has issues but it comes thro where it most counts...congrats!

whats next? another Vue?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silversurfer13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silversurfer13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silversurfer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #4
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Thank GOD you were in a Saturn! I'm glad you got out with minor injuries.

I know how you feel since I had one near death collision where I was hit head on at 45 mph by another car going 45 mph... It was one hell of an experience...

All real Saturn's including the VUE have always performed well in collisions. Even without air bags I felt 100% secure in my SC.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:11 PM   #5
mrtube
Advanced Member
mrtube is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

i'm curious.

does it still run?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrtube's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrtube reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrtube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtube View Post
i'm curious.

does it still run?
Of course it runs. It has the Honda motor...lol

But seriously, I'm glad that you came out with minor injuries. From the looks of the VUE, it could have been much worse. I was rear-ended by an '81 Chevy Pick-up going 55 while I was at a stop. I was in a Toyota Previa. All I remember is feeling the impact and me hitting the brakes.....some 90 feet from where I was hit, so I know and feel your pain. Was anyone else hurt?

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chillin05VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chillin05VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:25 AM   #7
lamont4689
lamont4689 is on a distinguished road

1994 SW2

I just happy to read you made it thru, what sounds like a horrible crash-
thanks for your story.
rich in Va

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lamont4689's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lamont4689 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lamont4689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:04 AM   #8
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Glad that you made it through. Being in an accident is never fun.

My wife and son were involved in an accident that totalled our 2005 VUE (ironically same color, minus sunroof); when a construction tarp was on the highway that my wife didn't see in the rain until it was too late. She any my son survived the accident, with just minor bruises.

( http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...rn+VUE+wrecked )

Take your time; and get well soon.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:09 AM   #9
BuySaturn
BuySaturn is on a distinguished road

Amazing. glad you were not seriously injured. bet the person that hit you can't believe you made it out of the vehicle unharmed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BuySaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BuySaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BuySaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #10
jenileigh
jenileigh is on a distinguished road

I was the only one who was hurt out of the four cars involved. I stayed in the car because my door wouldn't open and I was covered in glass. I did leave the scene on the ambulance. And the person that caused the accident and rear-ended me really didn't car about me or anyone else on the road. He had a revoked license and no insurance. But yet he was on the roads doing HVAC work in a work van. He has no idea on my condition and I am sure he does not care.

And I definitely feel I had a guardian angel or two with me. But I am very impressed that I believe the construction of the Vue did help save my life.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jenileigh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jenileigh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jenileigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #11
The Math God
Advanced Member
The Math God is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L

amen to that
better to let the Vue absorb all the damage

just too bad you can't get a new one to replace it

2007 Vue -- AWD 3.5 Honda
2005 Vue -- AWD 3.5 Honda
2007 Ion 2 -- 2.2
2005 L300 -- 6 cyl

Gone but not forgotten
2003 Vue -- 105K-traded in
2000 LS 2 --140 K-totaled
1994 SL-- 100K-sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to The Math God's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help The Math God reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
The Math God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:34 PM   #12
Wildstar87
Wildstar87 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenileigh View Post
And the person that caused the accident and rear-ended me really didn't car about me or anyone else on the road. He had a revoked license and no insurance. But yet he was on the roads doing HVAC work in a work van. He has no idea on my condition and I am sure he does not care.
This person deserves to be sued to the ends of the earth. I HATE irresponsible people, who could care less if they kill someone because of their stupidity. I lost my leg to one of these idiots.

Of course usually it's not even worth suing because people who don't have insurance, usually don't have any money, and no lawyer will take the case, unless YOU pay for it. In this case though, you might be able to go after the company that is employing him, unless they aren't insured either. It is their responsibility as well, since he was driving for work.

The guy should get jail time, for driving on a revoked license, with no insurance, but usually ******s like this don't even get cited for some ungodly reason.

You could have some medical issues that won't show up until later, so just make sure you keep your options open.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Wildstar87's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Wildstar87 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Wildstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:07 AM   #13
DaBooch
DaBooch is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Glad you are OK. Makes me pleased I chose a Saturn for my family. Safety is always first.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DaBooch's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DaBooch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DaBooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #14
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1991 SL2

Do everyone a favor and report the jerk to your state's DMV/BMV. As I recently found out, the great State of Ohio only allows you only 6 months from the date of the accident to report a person w/o a license.

You may not get him off the road, but you will prevent him from getting his license renewed (at least in the state that issued it).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:00 PM   #15
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1991 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenileigh View Post
He had a revoked license and no insurance. But yet he was on the roads doing HVAC work in a work van. He has no idea on my condition and I am sure he does not care.
But his employer probably would... . Hope you got the company's name, if he was indeed working for a HVAC contractor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:08 AM   #16
TK1420
TK1420 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.4L

Thanks for posting the photos. It's great to know what a VUE can take and still be able to protect its passengers.

I'm glad you're OK. I hope you git that jerk who caused the accident.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TK1420's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TK1420 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TK1420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:29 PM   #17
stbvue
stbvue is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

I have to say the vue surely saved ya on this one. The roof on that looks like it held up enough not to crush you. I had a blow out in my S-10 blazer, thru me and my cousin for a 3-4 roll, the roof pinned us to the floor requiring us to be cut out of the vehicle. I feel better knowing this thing really holds up in a time of need!

I dont mind things that go bump in the night as long as they arent in my VUE!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stbvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stbvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stbvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:32 AM   #18
VTchemist
VTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the rough

2003 VUE 3.0L

My brother rolled his 2005 VUE after hitting two deer at 55mph. Lot's of front end damage, caved in part of the rear roof, and broke the rear wheel "linkage". It still could be driven (slowly). Of course, it was totaled.

My brother came away with only some bruising. No cuts or breaks to him.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTchemist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTchemist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:46 AM   #19
LotusLord
LotusLord is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L

Glad you are OK. The vue did it's job, but it definitely looks like it could have been worse.

And our 06 is the same color.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LotusLord's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LotusLord reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LotusLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #20
youknowme
youknowme is on a distinguished road

Put it up on craigslist as 'fixer upper'

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to youknowme's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help youknowme reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
youknowme is offline   Reply With Quote