SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #1
bk63
bk63 is on a distinguished road

Default Flushing 4 cyl radiator

100k, 04 need to flush before winter. Finally got all the hoses, had to special order a lot of them, highway robbery. I figure after 7 years, replace all the hoses. Book says remove the pipe and take out the thermostat but just wondering who has flushed their radiator and what did you do. I don't think I'm going to remove the thermostat. More like run it clear and then drain, replace the hoses and refill.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bk63's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bk63 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
DavidBo
DavidBo will become famous soon enough

2002 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Flushing 4 cyl radiator

Aluminum radiator + aluminum engine = very little crud in coolant. When you drain the system you'll be amazed how clean the fluid is. Don't forget to remove the plug on the bottom of the water pump behind the engine, you'll get a bunch of coolant from there. After removing the hoses I stuck a garden hose in the upper radiator fitting and ran water through it. I covered the lower fitting with my hand a few times to fill the radiator all the way up, then remove it to flush the radiator out. I replaced the hoses and filled it up with 50/50 Dexcool and distilled water. Works like a champ!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DavidBo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DavidBo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
bk63

How hard is it to get to that plug in the water pump and is it going to come out easily or from past experiences with vehicles in general be stuck? Also is there a drain on the radiator? I seem to remember something about a plug on the bottom but can't see it unless I remove some parts in the way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bk63's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bk63 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
john95SW2
Advanced Member
john95SW2 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L

Radiator drain is on passenger side, facing the engine. No need to remove any parts on mine to see it.

It looks a little different from others I've done so you likely looked right at it and then missed it...Look again, you'll see it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to john95SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help john95SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
john95SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
surfstar
surfstar will become famous soon enough

I have an '05 w/ 85k miles that I plan on just draining and refilling the radiator with 50/50 dexcool/distilled water, hopefully this weekend, and then again next oil change in a few thousand miles. Not sure if a "flush" is really needed if it looks clean.

2005 Dragonfly Green 2.2L MTX Vue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to surfstar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help surfstar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
surfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:12 AM   #6
bk63

Well I should be good for another 100k after this weekend. The draining and flushing part was easy. It was those spring clamps on the hoses that were murder to get off. Some of them there is no clearance and I replaced some with regular stainless clamps because I could not get them back on. Get yourself a pair of spring clamp pliers with an extension if you plan on replacing your hoses. That was the most time consuming part of the job and my hands are all banged up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bk63's Reputation
Old 10-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #7
pdough
Advanced Member
pdough will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

I drained mine a few weeks ago after 190,000+ miles on factory installed coolant; just unscrewed the plug at passenger side of radiator and let it drain. It came out so clean I thought twice about flushing and just refilled what was drained. Will do again in a few weeks just to get a bit more clean fluid in there...

So much for the Dexcool bashing in these motors I guess. On the other hand mine doesn't see really harsh winters or really hot summers either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pdough's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pdough reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pdough is offline   Reply With Quote