SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
unlukky
unlukky is on a distinguished road

Default Power Steering

Has anyone ever changed the power steering 'pressure' line on an 07 Aura XE? Mine went from drips to burst in 2 days. I keep reading about some sort of campaign that was brought out because the exhaust was burning a hole in the line. Anyone hear of this?
The dealer wants $500 plus parts.

John
2007 Saturn Aura XE
White/ Biege

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unlukky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unlukky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unlukky is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
unlukky

Default Re: Power Steering

No one huh?
Does anyone have a schematic manual that shows the exact routing of this damn line?

John
2007 Saturn Aura XE
White/ Biege

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help unlukky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-03-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlukky View Post
No one huh?
Does anyone have a schematic manual that shows the exact routing of this damn line?

I doubt you're going to find a scematic that shows how to route a mechanical line. At most it'll tell you to route it away from moving objects and exhaust pipes/manifolds.

I'm due for an oil change this weekend. I'm going to take a look at my P/S lines while I'm down there.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:21 AM   #4
unlukky

Ok. Well I went ahead and ordered both the pressurized inlet and outlet lines. I don't want to have to come back under here.

Note to all you Aura guys: CHECK YOUR POWER STEERING LINES. There is a TSB against them burning up against the exhaust. The 'fix' is to adjust them to clear. Well I found some pretty crappy zip ties on mine. It must have done the trick for a while, but now no go.

This job looks like a nightmare (location location location) Might have to remove the steering box and/ or cross member for full access.

John

John
2007 Saturn Aura XE
White/ Biege

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-15-2010, 03:08 AM   #5
99SL2_Modder
99SL2_Modder is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR

Quote:
Might have to remove the steering box and/ or cross member for full access.
If you're removing a steering box, you have an issue to start out with.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99SL2_Modder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99SL2_Modder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99SL2_Modder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:40 AM   #6
unlukky

No. It doesnt have to come out.
We shall see what might have to be manipulated for access. The car is at my buddies shop now.

DO NOT order parts from Saturnparts.com; It has been 2 weeks and they are still processing the order. They said it is because they are merging their warehouse for Saturn with GM's. Either way, 3 weeks is ENTIRELY too long to wait.

John
2007 Saturn Aura XE
White/ Biege

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
3 weeks is ENTIRELY too long to wait.
Get used to it. Its going to be the norm for OEM Saturn parts. When all these online Saturn parts places were operating out of dealership parts departments, turn around was pretty fast. Now they're all ordering parts directly from GM warehouses. Which means you place your order with whatever online Saturn parts seller, they order the parts from GM, your part gets shipped from GM to the parts seller (5-10 business day shipping/processing time), then the Saturn parts seller ships it out to you (another 5-10 business day ship time).

Processing time = from the time you place your order, parts place orders it from warehouse, warehouse ships it to parts place and parts place creates the shipping label.

Then throw into the mix the amount of turnaround time for all those steps individually. Someone has to take the original order, key it in and send it to the GM warehouse. That takes time. Then someone at the GM warehouse has to receive that order and put it into their system. That takes time. Then someone has to receive the order request in the warehouse and pull your part. That takes time. Then most likely another person has to check that the order puller pulled the correct part. Thats called the "QC" process and that takes time. Then your order is packaged and processed for shipping. That takes time. The carrier picks up your box and then it goes through that whole process. You part is then delivered with several other orders and has to be processed into the Saturn parts seller's system. Again, more time. Then they should verify that they received the correct item and then process it to ship out to you, this is when the "processing" part of your order is done. And I'm sure you guessed it, more time. Then the carrier picks it up to ship out to you. And that takes time as well.

I worked for many years in the fulfillment side of a mail order computer and electronics parts warehouse. I know how it all works. Theres many steps in the process of the customer ordering their item and then receiving their order. The time and steps double or triple if the company selling the item doesn't have the item in their own warehouse.

Now what could cut some of the wait time would be if the GM warehouse drop shipped your order directly to you. That could cut the wait time in half.

When you think about it. Your little part has to travel through so many steps, through so many hands, so many companies, buildings and miles. Its kinda amazing it actually gets to you correctly.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote