SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
thrshr
thrshr is on a distinguished road

Default Some interesting conversion websites

I stumbled across these while searching endlessly for stuff for Aura's, figured I would share... First site is a Vectra-c forum site, seem to be some potential conversion data.
http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/index.php

Second one was found on a VIP styling forum site. has to do with opel conversion, another vectra front fascia, really nice looking wheels, etc....

http://www.saturnstyling.com/store/i...p?cPath=129_32

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thrshr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thrshr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thrshr is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
thrshr

Default Re: Some interesting conversion websites

This would appear to be a brake conversion for a VXR, I think we would only need, rotors, calipers, and VXR caliper brackets.......

http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85809

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help thrshr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-30-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
jimmyfloyd
jimmyfloyd is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Yeah, you aren't the first person to stumble upon that site:

http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showth...ghlight=Saturn

Most of the stuff from over there you have to be careful with because they have completely different engine choices, different electronics, and different body panels. If you look, you can't directly swap the fenders on them without some metal work.

That being said, there is a chance that the brakes and suspension work, since they are all on the epsilon 2 platform, but you would have an easier time getting parts from a Saab 9-3 than shipping them over.

if you do get a set of VXR brakes sent over and find they work really well, then you might be able to work out getting a large number of the parts sent over here, which would be helpful to all of us.

And on the second site, you should notice that none of the aura pictures are of auras with the parts on them, they are only pictures of Vectras. While the parts should fit, i would hope the company selling them would have atleast taken a picture of them test-fitted before they started selling them. Plus their prices are outrageous.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jimmyfloyd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jimmyfloyd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jimmyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
Chevy_Rules
Chevy_Rules is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyfloyd View Post

Most of the stuff from over there you have to be careful with because they have completely different engine choices, different electronics, and different body panels. If you look, you can't directly swap the fenders on them without some metal work.

That being said, there is a chance that the brakes and suspension work, since they are all on the epsilon 2 platform, but you would have an easier time getting parts from a Saab 9-3 than shipping them over.

if you do get a set of VXR brakes sent over and find they work really well, then you might be able to work out getting a large number of the parts sent over here, which would be helpful to all of us.
While the Aura, Vectra, and 9-3 are all on Epsilon I, each vehicles platform couldn't be more different. Unlike Epsilon II, Epsilon I is not a unified platform. There is American Epsilon I, Opel Epsilon I, and Saab Epsilon I. No version can be assembled in each other plants. No Malibu's will be rolling down the line in Sweden. No 9-3's will be rolling down Fairfax.

The Aura and Vectra have nothing in common besides a common front end design. They share nothing else and nothing is interchangeable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chevy_Rules's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chevy_Rules reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chevy_Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:58 PM   #5
thrshr

Quote:

And on the second site, you should notice that none of the aura pictures are of auras with the parts on them, they are only pictures of Vectras. While the parts should fit, i would hope the company selling them would have atleast taken a picture of them test-fitted before they started selling them. Plus their prices are outrageous.
As I read through that Vectra site I came across your name. seems you registered along with someone else from the states.... interesting reading their forums though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-01-2010, 12:00 AM   #6
thrshr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_Rules View Post
While the Aura, Vectra, and 9-3 are all on Epsilon I, each vehicles platform couldn't be more different. Unlike Epsilon II, Epsilon I is not a unified platform. There is American Epsilon I, Opel Epsilon I, and Saab Epsilon I. No version can be assembled in each other plants. No Malibu's will be rolling down the line in Sweden. No 9-3's will be rolling down Fairfax.

The Aura and Vectra have nothing in common besides a common front end design. They share nothing else and nothing is interchangeable.
Well doesn't that just suck. There are some really neat designs on the Vectra that would look good merged with what we have. but I have reading over the debate threads on this topic of interchangability and seems that there are not enough similarities to justify the high cost/risk if something does not work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-01-2010, 07:40 AM   #7
Chevy_Rules
Chevy_Rules is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrshr View Post
Well doesn't that just suck. There are some really neat designs on the Vectra that would look good merged with what we have. but I have reading over the debate threads on this topic of interchangability and seems that there are not enough similarities to justify the high cost/risk if something does not work.
It does. The Aura was a stopgap until the Insignia was ready to be brought over as the next generation Aura in 2010. The Aura rides on LWB Epsilon I( American version) which the G6 and current Malibu shares. The Vectra rode on SWB Epsilon I( Opel version).

I would say the only thing that could be changed relatively easily between the Vectra and Aura is the chrome bar with the Saturn badge and the trunk badge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chevy_Rules's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chevy_Rules reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chevy_Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:51 PM   #8
thrshr

Quote:
It does. The Aura was a stopgap until the Insignia was ready to be brought over as the next generation Aura in 2010. The Aura rides on LWB Epsilon I( American version) which the G6 and current Malibu shares. The Vectra rode on SWB Epsilon I( Opel version).

I would say the only thing that could be changed relatively easily between the Vectra and Aura is the chrome bar with the Saturn badge and the trunk badge.
I seen this on that other site I posted but 400bucks is too high for a grill with an opel emblem. I am thinking billet powdercoated black to match my car. maybe opel badges elsewhere just not 400 for a grill.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #9
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:

That one would be me.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:15 AM   #10
CptMatt
CptMatt is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:

I wouldn't even bet on the grille bar considering how much smaller the Vectra is in both length AND width. The chrome bar may not be as wide as ours.

'07 Aura XR (Purch 10/31/06)
Platinum Saber Wheels - Machined w/Black Accents - 18x8
Continental ExtremeContactDWS 255/45ZR18
GM Aftermarket Trunk Lip Spoiler

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CptMatt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CptMatt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CptMatt is offline   Reply With Quote