SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
shadestalker
shadestalker is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
Default EGR, O2, or clogged exhaust?

I have exactly the same symptoms as this poster: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho....php?p=1618464 but don't want to hijack a thread. I replaced the ECTS with brass a couple years ago, have made sure the EGR valve opens all the way and returns to fully closed, checked the TPS voltage throughout the range...

If I disconnect the EGR valve, the flat spot in the middle of the throttle range goes away, though I do still get the spark knock I've had for some time.

If I run with the EGR plugged in and O2 sensor removed, it also seems to run fine, though this is also open loop due to the O2 sensor being cool and in open air, or gone altogether (tried it both ways). I don't know how much that might muddy the waters.

Is there another way to check for obstructed exhaust apart from fishing something through the system or something? I'm stuck not knowing which expensive part(s) to plan to replace.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shadestalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shadestalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
shadestalker is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2010, 07:26 AM   #2
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
Default Re: EGR, O2, or clogged exhaust?

How about describing the syptoms in your terms?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
shadestalker
shadestalker is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Fair enough.

At low RPM and light load it runs fine. At middle throttle and RPM the response flattens / stumbles. At full throttle, it still seems like there's less power than there should be but the stumble is a lot less.

I also get spark knock under load up to fairly high RPM - between 2500 - 3000 I can still get it, which seems way out of "lugging the engine" range.

I also have some amount of exhaust leakage somewhere, at least it sounds like it. I see a small rusted opening in the muffler but it seems like the noise is from somewhere upstream of there.

With the EGR valve disconnected, the stumble and flat response go away. Spark knock is still there. I've cleaned and cleaned the EGR, and it does seem to move freely.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shadestalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shadestalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
shadestalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

I would reckon that if disconnecting the EGR valve, and removing the O2 sensor, each done separately, both improve performance, then you've got both an EGR issue and an exhaust restriction.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:34 PM   #5
Bob K
Bob K has a spectacular aura aboutBob K has a spectacular aura about

1995 SL2

Deleted.

Last edited by Bob K; 05-13-2010 at 05:43 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bob K's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bob K reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote